You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2024 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Pidge said:

What do you mean by a true six?

It was a genuine question, not even that arsed about kimmich at this age tbh.

'True six' is a bit of a misnomer given the types of #6 you can have (pick anywhere from Pirlo to Dunga) and in different leagues 'true six' might mean different things depending on who the most famous players were in that position.

For this purpose I think it means a big ball winning, tough tackling defensive midfielder who sits in front of the back four breaking up attacks, putting himself about.

A Fabinho more than a Mac Allister.

5 minutes ago, joeyk said:

If Mbappe signs for Madrid, Vinicius Jr would probably be on his way out. Is he worth consideration in the summer?

I doubt we have a clue who we would want in tbe summer now to be honest. 

Yeah, he's been told by Klopp that he won't be getting any minutes now that Robertson and Trent are back. (Robertson/Trent with Gomez and Bradley as back up)

He'll be leaving in the summer by the sounds of things.

Similar to the manager search all the standard day to day work will still continue (Scouts and Data Analysts will still scout and data analyse) so that when the new DoF gets here he'll have a massive resource to fall back on but the narrowing down specific targets and bids is unlikely to happen the DoF will then have his input and depending on the new structure in place either the new manager has the final say or the DoF will or they'll come to a consensus.

There may even be exploratory talks with agents and third parties of players in positions we know we'll need to strengthen to gauge the broad terms of deals.

It's highly unlikely that either the DoF or manager will rock up on their first day and say 'I was thinking about player x' as a signing and the club don't already have a significant amount of data on said player it just won't be a case where deals are ready to be done from day one.

9 minutes ago, Welsh said:

Yeah, he's been told by Klopp that he won't be getting any minutes now that Robertson and Trent are back. (Robertson/Trent with Gomez and Bradley as back up)

He'll be leaving in the summer by the sounds of things.

I hope not, he looks a good player him & Robbo isn't getting any younger.

15 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

with the progression of the young players around the squad, it would not be a shock to see us buy nobody this summer, unless we start to lose players because of Klopp's departure. Or maybe if you have someone who is wedded to a back 3, you might see a centre back. 

Guess it depends on who we get as manager, it would be a shame if whoever came in didn't make the most of the likes of Quansah, Bradley and Doak, and didn't give opportunities to players like Clarke, McConnell and others and who are knocking on the door.

I would still expect us to make at least 1 signing probably 2 but they may not be in the positions we'd expect (though I suspect at least one would be a CB).

13 minutes ago, Mook said:

I hope not, he looks a good player him & Robbo isn't getting any younger.

From what I've been told (And I'm in no way an In the know, I just happen to know someone who knows his family) They are not happy with how he's been treated. Rangers had a bid turned down a few weeks back and Beck would've been happy staying in that league but was told he'd have more game times here. I don't agree with it tbh, I think he hasn't done enough to demand that but that's his opinion.

6 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Guess it depends on who we get as manager, it would be a shame if whoever came in didn't make the most of the likes of Quansah, Bradley and Doak, and didn't give opportunities to players like Clarke, McConnell and others and who are knocking on the door.

I would still expect us to make at least 1 signing probably 2 but they may not be in the positions we'd expect (though I suspect at least one would be a CB).

I am not saying Quansah etc should not be made the most of. I think certainly Bradley and Quansah have shown us they look very capable footballers. i think the obvious positions for us to strengthen the squad as a whole were full back and centre back and they have been able to make a big enough leap to say they should be a part of the 1st team squad next season. but like most young players, they may struggle to maintain the levels we have seen so far - I would be planning for their progression to be more Jones than Trent for example. the first XI the number 6 is probably the easiest position to improve, but that will certainly depend on who the manager is and that player to fill it could very well be Trent. 

i am a great believer in freshening things up. But you don't have to do stuff for the sake of it and in the case of a new manager and coaching staff coming in, the absence of a sporting director, it mightn't be a bad time to hold what we have - the freshness coming in from a new team on the training field will be plenty. of course some of the players themselves may have different ideas. VVD, Trent and Salah should all sign new deals as soon as we know who the new manager is .

25 minutes ago, Welsh said:

From what I've been told (And I'm in no way an In the know, I just happen to know someone who knows his family) They are not happy with how he's been treated. Rangers had a bid turned down a few weeks back and Beck would've been happy staying in that league but was told he'd have more game times here. I don't agree with it tbh, I think he hasn't done enough to demand that but that's his opinion.

That's interesting, thanks for sharing & I agree with you if he's making demands.

Be interesting to see whether there are any position changes in some of the players futures that would necessitate signings in positions we wouldn't have previously thought needed. Right back in particular might see the biggest change whether it's in terms of role or personnel depending on where Trent see's himself and where any new manager see's him.