You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pre-Season 2023

TD_LFC

1 minute ago, an tha said:

It is the depth that is the problem yes...it feels like we are potentially sleep walking into a problem at centre half.

And that problem is based on only having 4 - 3 of who are injury prone and one of the 3 looking shot - maybe 2 of the 3 and the kingpin of the 4 ageing and in decline.

That is all even before get to any argument about fielding 3 of them and covering width of park either side or both etc....

You can’t talk to these posters. They believe they know more than you.

27 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Where did I say it means nothing? I like watching pre season. You are the one who moans non stop about not wanting to watch football anymore because youre sick of the owners, youre sick of this, sick of that, and then you watch a friendly and you shit yourself. Make sense of that.  

Just sick of the owners really.

Shit myself, really? Talk about an overreaction. No just pointing out the same problems that have been present for about 7-8 months but it’s ok you and a few others know best, so we are alright.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Just sick of the owners really.

Shit myself, really? Talk about an overreaction. No just pointing out the same problems that have been present for about 7-8 months but it’s ok you and a few others know best, so we are alright.

I didnt even comment on how we played in this game, you goofball. 

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We didnt need a pre season game to learn that Matip and Gomez are crap now. 

But you can tell if we cant be liberated of either of them nothing substantial will happen in terms of a signing. 

This is an even riskier and stupider strategy than keeping ox and keita unless we could be liberated of either, as gomez and matip are much closer to actually being needed than they were - they are literally the first and only back up options - whereas ox and keita could be pushed down the pecking order and almost forgotten about and we could still put out a side/a bench (how effective it was and that is another argument of course).....

It seems like self sabotage to not add to the ranks.

27 minutes ago, Tenfolder said:

Agreed that I think the focus probably needs to be in addressing defence, Another CB is vital imo, Matip and Konate both spend periods of each season injured, RB wise I think Bradley could and may be the shout but id not be against buying cover that could play RB/CB.

Someone else at CB would be good, I'm also concerned about RB and LB though because I don't have much confidence in Gomez or Tsimi. I don't blame them for all of what happened earlier in one half of a pre-season game, especially when one goal looked offside and our keeper had a nightmare but I'm not sure if either of them will be enough if they're having to play regularly at any point next season.

9 minutes ago, an tha said:

This is an even riskier and stupider strategy than keeping ox and keita unless we could be liberated of either, as gomez and matip are much closer to actually being needed than they were - they are literally the first and only back up options - whereas ox and keita could be pushed down the pecking order and almost forgotten about and we could still put out a side/a bench (how effective it was and that is another argument of course).....

It seems like self sabotage to not add to the ranks.

It's just how the club operates. If there are 4 senior centre backs, they obviously aren't gonna feel massive urgency to sign a 5th one unless we could get someone like Colwill, in which case, you go all out for him no matter the situation. 

I don't really understand why we don't just make Gomez a backup right back and emergency center back at best to make space to buy someone important, He clearly can't play anymore, he is awful. He should be in a Nat Phillips role at this point. 

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's just how the club operates. If there are 4 senior centre backs, they obviously aren't gonna feel massive urgency to sign a 5th one unless we could get someone like Colwill, in which case, you go all out for him no matter the situation. 

I don't really understand why we don't just make Gomez a backup right back and emergency center back at best to make space to buy someone important, He clearly can't play anymore, he is awful. He should be in a Nat Phillips role at this point. 

Aye - if the 4 weren't made up how they were it wouldn't be a problem...it is similar debate to the 9 or 10 or whatever midfielders it was we had......enough purely numerically - but when you actually add up what they are it is a different story.

It's been done to death - we all know score.

33 minutes ago, an tha said:

It is the depth that is the problem yes...it feels like we are potentially sleep walking into a problem at centre half.

And that problem is based on only having 4 - 3 of who are injury prone and one of the 3 looking shot - maybe 2 of the 3 and the kingpin of the 4 ageing and in decline.

That is all even before get to any argument about fielding 3 of them and covering width of park either side or both etc....

centre back has the potential to be this years last years midfield or 2020/1's centre back. there's more pressure on those positions if we are to continue with this formation too. matip just can't do what konate is being asked to do for example. with phillips going, I am a little surprised we'd go with the lads we have. 

On a positive note, great to see the Salah-Nunez combination is as good as ever. 2 assists from Mo to Darwin and an assist from Darwin to Mo.

One of the weirdest takes from a couple people here last season was to say there was no understanding between both players. Of all our forward players, they are the two most in sync with each other. Evidenced by the number of goals they assist for each other.

Harrowing defending 2nd half, but I see a wider problem and that's the half-built midfield that appears neither useful in attack or in defence. 

We somehow, this pre-season, have watched about 8 midfielders and none of which are attacking enough or defensive enough.  Our midfielders are the equivalent of NPC's in The Sims. 

Trent is nowhere. At this rate Klopp will go back to the old set-up.

giphy (7).gif

23 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

centre back has the potential to be this years last years midfield or 2020/1's centre back. there's more pressure on those positions if we are to continue with this formation too. matip just can't do what konate is being asked to do for example. with phillips going, I am a little surprised we'd go with the lads we have. 

And so it all goes back to the owners. Its robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Why don't we just go out and address all our issues? If we do that then maybe FSG can have a few windows off!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

On a positive note, great to see the Salah-Nunez combination is as good as ever. 2 assists from Mo to Darwin and an assist from Darwin to Mo.

One of the weirdest takes from a couple people here last season was to say there was no understanding between both players. Of all our forward players, they are the two most in sync with each other. Evidenced by the number of goals they assist for each other.

Its no surprise our forward contingent are the most fluid and functionally active. We are well stocked with quality there. Its the one area of the team that hasn't been left to rot.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

All rumours are saying that we are looking to bring in a left sided CB. I presume that means Gomez Matip and the new one will be backup to Konaté, Van Dijk and Robertson as the three behind the box midfield. 

56 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Why isnt Thiago featuring pre-season at the moment?

Still got a chipped fingernail from his lengthy absences towards the end of last season.

He actually trained outside last week for first time - so give him about a month to recover from that and we may see him for a fortnight or so before his next period of hibernation.

• Upvote 1

Jones was very quiet while Elliott was good on the ball. They are just back so harsh to judge. With Gakpo, Szoboszlai and Mac Allister to play in the attacking midfield roles we are set there.

Thiago and Bajcetic would give more depth in midfield but we are blatantly short there. 

I was of the opinion that 1 midfielder and a defender would be sufficient, but unless we plan to play Macca further back at times, we will need two midfielders alright.