You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rebuild/Shake Up Summer 2023

Paul

Klopp has lost this group of players and I've no idea how that can be fixed, without serious backing and the termination of contracts (Which ain't happening). All the little cliques in the squad need breaking up and the players with influence need to be shipped off as they are all far, far too comfortable.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Elite said:

Klopp has lost this group of players and I've no idea how that can be fixed, without serious backing and the termination of contracts (Which ain't happening). All the little cliques in the squad need breaking up and the players with influence need to be shipped off as they are all far, far too comfortable.

Agree with this 100%

Only players who look like they are giving everything is Ali,Robertson and Milner. Even when not playing well you can see they have not given up. Elliot and Nunez are probably just behind them but both are struggling. 

Im not sure how they get this team going as its not just formation,players and tactics it mentally as much as anything at the moment. 

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, Elite said:

He bought signings that demoralised a team that needed top quality adding to it. Esp after losing an important player like mane. This lot have got no threat to their places. They’re undroppable this season and they know there’s no consequences to phoning it in. Half the midfield are out of contract and there’s no way they’re gonna put themselves in harms way to rule out a big signing on contract next summer.  Klopp saying he couldn’t add to the squad in case players in those positions here decided they didnt want to leave shows a lack of ruthlessness the greats had and it’s come home to roost now with the players. Easily predictable this. 

He’s saying all the right things again about rebuilding but we’ve seen that a lot of the time his words aren’t followed up with action. 

• Upvote 1

Seriously worrying isn’t it. I wouldn’t have Keita anywhere near the squad. He isn’t like Milner who will still go to the mill for us and Jurgen. We need ruthlessness now and that means some hard decisions must be taken. 
That includes being prepared to listen to offers for established players and if they don’t want to go then they should be banished from the first team set up. Without getting tough, Jurgen will be gone. I think he is costing himself by being far too loyal and allowing some of these players to still wear the shirt. Henderson’s contract was really bad business.
Time for a strong sporting director to come in and help with getting the dead wood out. He or she will be very busy. 

What I don't get is for a backroom that likes to talk up how clever it is they don't actually thinking getting players for lower fees before the move to Benfica,Napoli etc is worthwhile. 

They literally could have brought in Brozovic,Kvaratskhelia and Enzo for under 20ml combined last summer. Surely being clever is getting the players at this point not paying 80ml plus 12 months later. 

At worst you'd make the money back in loan fees and transfer fees. 

Just now, Section_31 said:

Yeah can see why most wouldn't but he looks broke to me, beyond his usual issues re positioning etc.

Every team in tbe league now targets him on the back post. He's either completely unable to learn to defend or doesn't give a shit about learning. To make the same mistakes(in fact get worse) now after 2/3 years is inexcusable. 

9 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Every team in tbe league now targets him on the back post. He's either completely unable to learn to defend or doesn't give a shit about learning. To make the same mistakes(in fact get worse) now after 2/3 years is inexcusable. 

He always used to be a decent defender, sometimes could get beaten by a tricky winger, but he had the desire to try hard.

Now he just doesn’t give a shit about defending. It’s like watching Christian Ziege.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

For over a year now, he is totally exposed. Play the ball down the channel between our rb and our right cb and we are in trouble. We have to fix that along with the ball coming across to the back right post, where he is nowhere to be seen. It is by far our weakest defensive point and we have to buikd from the back to start getting difficult to play against again. With trent at rb, we aren’t and since he isn’t learning, then we have to do something else. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jose Jones said:

He always used to be a decent defender, sometimes could get beaten by a tricky winger, but he had the desire to try hard.

Now he just doesn’t give a shit about defending. It’s like watching Christian Ziege.

It's was never his strongest point but he was good enough. This year as you say its like he couldn't care less. Its like he thinks it's not his job and beneath him to even try. I know he's getting little help from the midfield but it's pretty much inexcusable 

Just now, DJLJ said:

For over a year now, he is totally exposed. Play the ball down the channel between our rb and our right cb and we are in trouble. We have to fix that along with the ball coming across to the back right post, where he is nowhere to be seen. It is by far our weakest defensive point and we have to buikd from the back to start getting difficult to play against again. With trent at rb, we aren’t and since he isn’t learning, then we have to do something else. 

That's why I don't think Bellingham is the answer. He isn't going to sit back and let Trent overlap. And why the much midfield 3 of Fabinho,Hendo and Gini worked. Both Gini and Hendo knew when to get forward and when to sit and let the fullbacks get forward. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

That's why I don't think Bellingham is the answer. He isn't going to sit back and let Trent overlap. And why the much midfield 3 of Fabinho,Hendo and Gini worked. Both Gini and Hendo knew when to get forward and when to sit and let the fullbacks get forward. 

Trent isn't good enough to have to build half a team around him. Yeah he's boss at crossing and a good passer in general, but why would that warrant having an achiles heel at the back and needing one possibly two players to cover for him? To work, it needs 100% effort, anything less and you're fucked. 

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

Trent isn't good enough to have to build half a team around him. Yeah he's boss at crossing and a good passer in general, but why would that warrant having an achiles heel at the back and needing one possibly two players to cover for him? To work, it needs 100% effort, anything less and you're fucked. 

The way he's been the last year or so I agree. Before that he was never better than a average defender but wasn't really costing goals and the effort was there so he was worth sacrificing a attacking midfielder for imo. 

Now he's offering little either way. 

He keeps a kick up the arse and proper competition for his place. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

The way he's been the last year or so I agree. Before that he was never better than a average defender but wasn't really costing goals and the effort was there so he was worth sacrificing a attacking midfielder for imo. 

Now he's offering little either way. 

He keeps a kick up the arse and proper competition for his place. 

I don't even know if competition for a place would work. He looks like he's totally spent. It happens at clubs, Ferguson used to fuck players off left and right.

3 hours ago, J-V said:

I wouldn't sell Trent.

I would. I think he might even be top of the list of players for me. He currently offers nothing. Hasn’t done for over a year. His attitude stinks and is probably the worst amongst all the players. Klopp has to be extremely ruthless this summer, since very few of them looks like the want to play for klopp and the badge any longer. In those circumstances you ship out the ones with the worst attitude first. Currently that is Trent. 

5 hours ago, Freddo said:

Seriously worrying isn’t it. I wouldn’t have Keita anywhere near the squad. He isn’t like Milner who will still go to the mill for us and Jurgen. We need ruthlessness now and that means some hard decisions must be taken. 
That includes being prepared to listen to offers for established players and if they don’t want to go then they should be banished from the first team set up. Without getting tough, Jurgen will be gone. I think he is costing himself by being far too loyal and allowing some of these players to still wear the shirt. Henderson’s contract was really bad business.
Time for a strong sporting director to come in and help with getting the dead wood out. He or she will be very busy. 

Ruthlessness now? How? We cannot buy anybody for another three months and how do we replace around 6 players without back ups when we still have an outside chance of a CL place?

The thing I don't understand is why we binned off or marginalised the best recruitment department in all of football for ... this?

Right as we need to go on a major buying spree, too. Give Edwards the reins and he's probably sold Salah (to much weeping and gnashing of teeth on here) last summer, a few others as well. Instead, we didn't listen to him, listened to someone else (Klopp? Lijnders? Who knows?) instead and now we're going to really struggle to get it right next summer.

We obviously have one of the deepest and best forward lines in the league. I'd sell Salah - he's still got a lot of value and we have Jota/Nunez/Diaz/Gakpo/Firmino/Doak behind him.

The place we're really going to need to spend is in midfield. We need probably one centre back and one forward (to replace Salah), but those can be young players 20-22 with potential. But we need a massive upgrade at midfield - Henderson, Keita, Milner, and Oxlade-Chamberlain should never see the pitch again for us after this season. Thiago, Bajcetic, Harvey, and Fabinho are all fine for depth but shouldn't really be starting next year if we want to be competing for trophies, for a variety of reasons.

That means we really need 3 starting-calibre players in the centre of the park. At least 2, if we're really confident that Harvey and/or Bajcetic will continue to improve and we can squeeze one more really good year out of Thiago.

But getting 2-3 players at the level of guaranteed starters for a CL-challenging club? That will cost a fortune. And the money we get from sales is not going to cut it.