You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

If the club didn't have form for constantly not doing enough when it really needs to then I'd assume dragging it out is a solid tactic to give the impression we haven't got loads of money and we need to deal.

Its hard to know where we are, if we are short of choices but end up losing a player the club really wants be it over 10 million quid for example, then it's a ridiculous situation. We can not dictate values to the rest of the market and if they decide not to play then just walk away and buy no one or wait until "the right one" is available, fuck writing off seasons as a risk but being risk averse to spending some money. This window we are going to have to over pay and we need more than the two we have and Lavia. This isn't bad luck its been bad planning but all those windows we have gone spending fuck all should absolutely mean when we need it the money is there. At the end of the season  people, fans, Journos where talking about spending 200 million quid and that didn't seem far fetched because we should be able to spend that, other top sides have done it plenty of times. 

I think Lavia signs 100 percent. I fully expect 2 more otherwise we will be short again. There's plenty of time look at how quick Szoboszlai deal happened, hopefully there's more than one poker in the fire currently.

7 minutes ago, an tha said:

Yeah we got rid at just the right time

We had people crying on here last season about us 'letting him go' (he left himself) at the same time he was stinking the place out in a one horse league.

Our problem has been not regularly maintaining the engine and regularly replacing worn out parts and now we have to replace all the parts at the same time.

It is bad planning and even if we say 'ah but nobody saw the saudis coming for Hendo ad Fab'....well yeah true - but we all saw Hendo's legs had gone - he should have been gone already and replaced already.

And as for way we kept the crocks Keita and Ox hoping somehow they'd suddenly stay fit/not be shite....

Lack of planning/not being ruthless enough.

3 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Rumoured bid for Lavia is £42.5m plus £5m in add-one. Doesn’t seem unreasonable.

Yeah it seems fine, if they're not having it though hopefully we can up it quickly. If it's a short difference between what we're offering and what they want it seems daft to have it fall apart when we need players.

There's rumours that Chelsea could be going for him too after their bid for Caicedo failed. Not sure if that's true or not though.

13 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Rumoured bid for Lavia is £42.5m plus £5m in add-ons. Doesn’t seem unreasonable.

They're probably trying to maintain the club's reputation as tough negotiators but they should just offer £45m with £5m and get him on the next plane to Singapore before Madd Todd decides to put in a squillion pound bid. 

10 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Really hope we're not putting all our CB eggs in the Colwill basket.

People are going to be disappointed with what happens at CB.

The story all along has been that while they really like Colwill and would go for him if given encouragement by Chelsea the more likely outcome has always been a developmental players who can learn behind existing players if they get anyone.

10 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

People are going to be disappointed with what happens at CB.

The story all along has been that while they really like Colwill and would go for him if given encouragement by Chelsea the more likely outcome has always been a developmental players who can learn behind existing players if they get anyone.

All good if Konate, Matip and Gomez can reverse long standing trends with availability issues - if not, then we could be in some real bother.

26 minutes ago, diamondjoe said:

Our defence has me worried. It's the defence that wins titles And ours looks suspiciously past it. 

It’s a concern alright, especially as we still haven’t signed the key player to screen it two weeks out from the start of the season.

Thankfully Chelsea look at least as disjointed as us. 

1 minute ago, an tha said:

All good if Konate, Matip and Gomez can reverse long standing trends with availability issues - if not, then we could be in some real bother.

I’d be as concerned with potential performances as I would with injuries. Konate’s probably the most consistent now with Virgil looking very ordinary  last season. Hopefully some it was a legacy of the World Cup.

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

Matip missed three league games last season due to injury, he was unused off the bench in 12.

Gomez missed 4 and was an unused sub in 12.

Konate is the only one to worry about - if he stays healthy neither of the other two will play much, maybe Gomez a bit at RB.

4 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I’d be as concerned with potential performances as I would with injuries. Konate’s probably the most consistent now with Virgil looking very ordinary  last season. Hopefully some it was a legacy of the World Cup.

All will hopefully benefit from the black hole in front of them being filled - but yeah there are question marks over all of them - including the kingpin too.

But we are going to need to see better availability.

We seem to be selling Phillips too - so the back up to the back up is gone too.

It all has a bit of a by skin of our teeth feeling to it.

4 senior centre halves:

Kingpin showing signs of decline.

3 with dodgy injury records 1 of thsoe 3 deffo in steep decline, 1 has looked lost for ages....

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Matip missed three league games last season due to injury, he was unused off the bench in 12.

Gomez missed 4 and was an unused sub in 12.

Konate is the only one to worry about - if he stays healthy neither of the other two will play much, maybe Gomez a bit at RB.

Are you trying to tell me you don't worry about their availability......when both have records of regularly being unavailable.

And more to point if they are called on to play they are likely to break down as we have seen all too often.

Yes i agree if Konate stays fit they won't play much - but even that is far from assured.

We've seen it with the midfield - unreliable players cause all sort of knock on problems - poor benches so can't make changes, lack of rotation, over playing others which then can lead to injury.

I think it would be risky to go into season with just the 4 senior centre halves given the make up of them.

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

I think it would be risky to go into season with just the 4 senior centre halves given the make up of them.

Maybe, the broader point is Colwill is not a senior CB who ironically has injury issues despite not really playing much - yet many seem to be worked up about it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

How would you know - he has played as the DM at every level.

He has played maybe a half dozen times elsewhere in midfield.

Edit - Had a quick look and it looks like he has never played in anything but a double pivot, except a couple of times where they lined up in a 4141 with him as the sole holding mid.

Skillset? The kids not a potential world class player in the making because of his defensive abilities (not saying he's bad in that area). He's miles behind someone like Caicedo in that regard. But I think he's already better than Caicedo on the ball. It's the same reason I think Bajcetic could comfortably play as a number 8 despite playing mostly as a CB and DM through youth and seniors. His ability on the ball is excellent and he can obviously defend. Lavia is the same except he also has elite athleticism.