You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

39 minutes ago, an tha said:

4 senior centre halves - 3 of them with less than great injury records.

We have a strange approach to squad building at times.

Centre half situation could quite easily become this coming seasons midfield from last.

We surely have to be bringing one in.

I'm not saying I agree with it always, but the principle is pretty simple. We have 4 first team centre backs and the club does not economically support having first team players on first team wages being surplus in the squad, even if they aren't good anymore. It's why they didn't buy midfielders on top of Ox and Keita. 

They might do an exception if an exceptional player is available in a position, like they thought with Diaz, which gave us a temporary surplus of attackers. Would have been the same with Tchouameni and probably Colwill this summer. 

If we buy a centre back, it might only be someone we think is indispensable, who we can't miss out on. This is providing both Matip and Gomez stay. Maybe we'd feel the need to replace Phillips, but I doubt it.

We're not buying a CB. It may have been an option if 6 midfielders didn't walk out the door. Only way we sign one is if Matip or Gomez leave, the upheaval is already way beyond what we would consider acceptable so that's not happening unless one of them kicks up a stink.

4 hours ago, No2 said:

We're not buying a CB. It may have been an option if 6 midfielders didn't walk out the door. Only way we sign one is if Matip or Gomez leave, the upheaval is already way beyond what we would consider acceptable so that's not happening unless one of them kicks up a stink.

I reckon we could concede shitloads this season. Our attack may compensate but its if our players can keep their heads when they concede. Rock and Roll football is back that means another transitional year. Running out of Klopp time.

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I reckon we could concede shitloads this season. Our attack may compensate but its if our players can keep their heads when they concede. Rock and Roll football is back that means another transitional year. Running out of Klopp time.

It'll be dangerous if that's the case. Not sure there's enough goals in this team to be like that. Relying alot on Darwin to find his feet. I expect Jota/Diaz to maybe get 20 between them in the league. But then you'd hope the midfield could find its scoring boots again. Konate and Virg need to sort there 50p heads out as they both spurn plenty of chances on set pieces. Also Trent needs to start bagging a few more in open play. 

14 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

It'll be dangerous if that's the case. Not sure there's enough goals in this team to be like that. Relying alot on Darwin to find his feet. I expect Jota/Diaz to maybe get 20 between them in the league. But then you'd hope the midfield could find its scoring boots again. Konate and Virg need to sort there 50p heads out as they both spurn plenty of chances on set pieces. Also Trent needs to start bagging a few more in open play. 

Only 10 each? Bloody hell! Pessimism indeed.

23 minutes ago, TheSire said:

Only 10 each? Bloody hell! Pessimism indeed.

Jota has only got over 10 league goals once in the premier league for ourselves or Wolves. Diaz has 8 goals in 30 games for us. I don't think 20 is out the question at all as time will be shared between the 4 with Mo playing most games. You'd hope its more 25/30 

15 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Jota has only got over 10 league goals once in the premier league for ourselves or Wolves. Diaz has 8 goals in 30 games for us. I don't think 20 is out the question at all as time will be shared between the 4 with Mo playing most games. You'd hope its more 25/30 

I think with Diaz we could factor in the fact he's had that fucker of an injury and he came in the Jan transfer window so would always take time to score more during that initial bedding in phase. I think he might really light things up this year with 20+.

Just now, TheSire said:

I think with Diaz we could factor in the fact he's had that fucker of an injury and he came in the Jan transfer window so would always take time to score more during that initial bedding in phase. I think he might really light things up this year with 20+.

I hope so. 

Even if all 4 get 15 each we are fine. But others need to chip in. While the hectic outscored others is good it's also frustrating as fuck. We need the team to sort it's shit out. We seem to concede far too many in the 10 minutes after HT last year and again in preseason. And panic to much. Need more of that title winning season calmness to just play games out. The attack can help out by killing games off instead of spurning chances too

I'm not negative on the season as I think there will be improvements. But I'm seriously worried at the back ups behind the back 4 if we get injuries

• Upvote 1

Funny, Nunez has 9 in 29 premier league games with a couple of assists whilst Diaz has 8 in 30 with 5 assists yet the narrative around each is completely different. I’m hoping Diaz clicks in to gear and his numbers improve but I don’t think it’s the be all and end all with him. He is the sort of player who creates space and opportunity for the others by being a constant threat. You’d think he’d be the perfect partner for Nunez.

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

There are loads of goals in this team. The six forwards scored 53 league goals last season (although Bobby got 11 of them). But when you consider Gakpo only had half a season and joined at our worst point, Jota and Diaz missed pretty much a whole season between them, and we now have two much more creative midfielders behind them, I think our Goals For column will be fine at the end of the season….. with the usual caveat about injuries of course.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

My thoughts exactly. I might be wrong but does klopp have three more footballing seasons with us ? This one coming and two more? If so the team could be ready for his final season .

3 hours ago, TheSire said:

For me he doesn't get into enough positions. He's a decent enough finisher when he gets there, but he just doesn't have too many chances. I have no evidence for that, just what I'm seeing watching. It's almost the exact opposite of Nunez, where you feel if he calms down a little in front of goal, he could easily score 30 goals because he has loads of chances. 

In my view, it's a big leap that Diaz has to make to get big numbers. But I don't see too much of an issue if he gets 1 in 3, especially if Nunez and Salah can get 1 in 1.5 and you have Jota chipping in and gakpo probably doing 1 in 3 too.