You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

15 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

Any idea what the problem with the Fabinho deal is?

They've managed to get Benzima and Kante done? 

Most of the deals they've done have been freebies. FSG aren't the type to let someone (especially rogue organisations with bad reps) just take something without paying for it. My guess is the assurances they want aren't meeting their requirements. 

24 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

Any idea what the problem with the Fabinho deal is?

They've managed to get Benzima and Kante done? 

Isn’t there an issue with them paying their transfer debts or is that somebody else?

Kante and Benzema were free transfers so nothing to pay.

If they have issues with payments, I’d hope / expect we’re asking for the majority up front. 

1 minute ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Gerrard was a great 10 behind Torres. 

We lack that calibre of chance-maker centrally.  I'm not holding out much hope for Dom or Mac fulfilling that role.  I still think we'll be struggling to make chances against PL teams.  

I completely disagree.

I think we’ll score a lot of goals this season and play some incredibly exciting football. 

I’m concerned about our ability to keep them out. 

• Upvote 2

Fab had a horrible season, we all agree about that. Does it mean he’s done for sure ?

He’s still young for a number 6, maybe it was a one year burn out after that incredible season + the World Cup ?

I’m a bit puzzled every one seems to believe he’s finished.

Wasn’t he getting better by the end of the season ?

• Upvote 2

The Fabinho situation is very awkward. Because sportingly, the best thing is keeping him and giving him big competition in Lavia. But financially, you can't turn down 40m for him at this stage in his career, after the season he had. I think we desperately want him gone, which I think is too hasty, but we can't say no to the money, and if he wants to leave, we shouldn't want to keep him.

I think the hold up is probably that the Saudis are being difficult with the payment structure or something like that.

14 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Scratching my head with this one, why would a second choice be significantly more expensive than the first choice? 

Perhaps first choice was Kone and we've backed out because he's injured? 

Who has said he’s 2nd choice?

Once Kone is back fit towards the end of the window, wouldn’t surprise me if we went for him. 

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The Fabinho situation is very awkward. Because sportingly, the best thing is keeping him and giving him big competition in Lavia. But financially, you can't turn down 40m for him at this stage in his career, after the season he had. I think we desperately want him gone, which I think is too hasty, but we can't say no to the money.

I think the hold up is probably that the Saudis are being difficult with the payment structure or something like that.

I’m sorry but the wider context of 40m in a market where Rice and Enzo Fernandez cost over 100m and doucoure is quoted at 70m. 40m for a player who was world class 13-14 months ago I’m just not having as a great deal. Replacing him looks incredibly difficult and a complete false economy.

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Who has said he’s 2nd choice?

Once Kone is back fit towards the end of the window, wouldn’t surprise me if we went for him. 

I'll be honest, I've lost track about who has said what, but given it's getting late in the window and we're bidding a fair bit below Southampton's valuation, it does seem a bit like he is second choice. 

Hopefully he works out as well as many of our previous second choices should we get him

Just now, Remmie said:

I'll be honest, I've lost track about who has said what, but given it's getting late in the window and we're bidding a fair bit below Southampton's valuation, it does seem a bit like he is second choice. 

Hopefully he works out as well as many of our previous second choices should we get him

We’ve been linked with him since before the window opened. I can’t see this not happening now. 

3 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

I’m sorry but the wider context of 40m in a market where Rice and Enzo Fernandez cost over 100m and doucoure is quoted at 70m. 40m for a player who was world class 13-14 months ago I’m just not having as a great deal. Replacing him looks incredibly difficult and a complete false economy.

I agree about the last part, but he's turning 30 and we'd essentially make the money back we paid for him years ago. Economically, it's a no-brainer for the club.

32 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

And if I was the club I'd take Henderson and Fabinho off the table for the Saudi clubs. 

They can all get to fuck with this messing about, we'll sell them both at half the money to European teams.  

You’re very funnee