You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

1 minute ago, an tha said:

40m on table now is simply too good to miss...may not see anything like that offered again.

There are plenty of players out there we can get and who will help improve us.

40m in the modern context is fucking wank for a player of Fabinho’s calibre and what he has achieved in the game. I think there’s there’s no way he could be anywhere near as bad as last season.

9 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Just keep fab for the season and sound out a replacement either in January or next summer. His experience and know how will be useful this season and the options out there are beyond underwhelming.

That horse has bolted and £40m is far far too good to turn down for a player who cannot run.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

40m in the modern context is fucking wank for a player of Fabinho’s calibre and what he has achieved in the game. I think there’s there’s no way he could be anywhere near as bad as last season.

I couldn't disagree more.

He is shot to fuck IMO and there is every chance he will be even worse than the abysmal levels he was at last season.

He is 30 in October - has heavy miles on the clock, is coming off the back of an abysmal season and for me we have had his best days - 40m is an absolute windfall for him and one we can use towards completing this desperately needed and overdue rebuild.

He'll be worth a fraction of that in 12 months time and we'll likely have suffered as a result if we don't get rid and use the money well now.

24 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Agreed- not with some actual legs playing around him.

That said, he was shit for too long- sell him the disgrace that he is 

15 minutes ago, an tha said:

I couldn't disagree more.

He is shot to fuck IMO and there is every chance he will be even worse than the abysmal levels he was at last season.

He is 30 in October - has heavy miles on the clock, is coming off the back of an abysmal season and for me we have had his best days - 40m is an absolute windfall for him and one we can use towards completing this desperately needed and overdue rebuild.

He'll be worth a fraction of that in 12 months time and we'll likely have suffered as a result.

I think the thing to remember about all 3 of the senior players, is they're all kicking around 10m per year. Thiago has one left, Henderson 2 and fabinho 3. So in total we are committed to spending 30m this season, 20m next season and 10m the year after, so 60m in total. So if we are to hold on to thiago and let the other 2 go, we effective free up 50m in wages over 3 years, plus the expected 60m in fees, so 110m.  For 2 players who will likely offer very little on the pitch if their slide last season is anything to go by. 

We can go out and get a 50m and a 30m pkayer, likely to earn around the 6m or so we seem to pay for the Diaz/gakpo/Nunez like signings and our hit would only be about 118m for players who will hopefully grow over that 3 years and give us the sort of return fab did in his first 3 years. 

It's a bit of a simplistic cashflow perspective on it, as it doesn't include amortisation on the players in either direction, but it does provide a point of view why we'd be mad not to do it. 

I don't think it will be ideal over the first half a sesson, but over the 3 years and beyond, I'm sure it'll be a massive plus for us. 

Of course we have to kill it on the inbound players. 

39 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think the thing to remember about all 3 of the senior players, is they're all kicking around 10m per year. Thiago has one left, Henderson 2 and fabinho 3. So in total we are committed to spending 30m this season, 20m next season and 10m the year after, so 60m in total. So if we are to hold on to thiago and let the other 2 go, we effective free up 50m in wages over 3 years, plus the expected 60m in fees, so 110m.  For 2 players who will likely offer very little on the pitch if their slide last season is anything to go by. 

We can go out and get a 50m and a 30m pkayer, likely to earn around the 6m or so we seem to pay for the Diaz/gakpo/Nunez like signings and our hit would only be about 118m for players who will hopefully grow over that 3 years and give us the sort of return fab did in his first 3 years. 

It's a bit of a simplistic cashflow perspective on it, as it doesn't include amortisation on the players in either direction, but it does provide a point of view why we'd be mad not to do it. 

I don't think it will be ideal over the first half a sesson, but over the 3 years and beyond, I'm sure it'll be a massive plus for us. 

Of course we have to kill it on the inbound players. 

Yeah and on top of all that:

1. Hendo is finished at level we should be asking for.

2. Fabinho's best days are behind him.

3. Thiago will be fit for barely half the time.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

Yeah and on top of all that:

1. Hendo is finished at level we should be asking for.

2. Fabinho's best days are behind him.

3. Thiago will be fit for barely half the time.

Sorry but for someone who is negative pretty much all the time, you're way too positive about this and I don't really get it.

It doesn't matter that Hendo and Fabinho might not be good anymore, we are caught flat footed by these offers and they would have been important players this season. Selling players is fine if you plan for it. We're now forced to wing a midfield rebuild that is probably way too big.

25 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Thought 86-87 would be more your taste. Won nothing and sold the best striker in our history at the end of it.

Funnily enough im not that negative.

Im only negative when we are owned by money grabbing Americans who have no love for the sport or our heritage in winning the biggest prizes. John Smith had no interest in the spreadsheet.

Back when Rushy left there was no immediate panic because we had footballing men at the helm who knew what they were doing and a board that backed them to win. They could have just bought Aldridge but they went two better. Then they bought Houghton.

Thats showing you mean business. Everton were soon knocked back down to earth.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Sorry but for someone who is negative pretty much all the time, you're way too positive about this and I don't really get it.

It doesn't matter that Hendo and Fabinho might not be good anymore, we are caught flat footed by these offers and they would have been important players this season. Selling players is fine if you plan for it. We're now forced to wing a midfield rebuild that is probably way too big.

It not like they've had to get on the phone to the scouts/analysts and say start looking for midfielders quick, though.

While they almost certainly weren't expecting to let Henderson and Fabinho go this summer they'll have an idea of replacements over the short, medium and long term and it'll just be a case of narrowing down the best combination.

If you see it as year 1 of a 3 year project rather than we were supposed to be absolutely challenging this season then it is quite exciting even if it is happening quicker than expected.

5 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

I’m not here suggesting Fab is at his best whatsoever but his experience and class are still important to this squad. This complete overhaul is not going to do us any favours in terms of cohesion and can definitely see a very patchy start.

Wrong thread for that kind of calm reasoning. 

5 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

It not like they've had to get on the phone to the scouts/analysts and say start looking for midfielders quick, though.

While they almost certainly weren't expecting to let Henderson and Fabinho go this summer they'll have an idea of replacements over the short, medium and long term and it'll just be a case of narrowing down the best combination.

If you see it as year 1 of a 3 year project rather than we were supposed to be absolutely challenging this season then it is quite exciting.

Rightly or wrongly, with two bad season in three under Klopp, you can probably count on one hand the supporters who care about a long term project. And you certainly don't see the long term view of thinking on this forum.

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

Rightly or wrongly, with two bad season in three under Klopp, you can probably count on one hand the supporters who care about a long term project. And you certainly don't see the long term view of thinking on this forum.

I said last week that for all the celebrating about these players going there's a section of the support that now needs to hold it's nerve when the season starts for that reason.

I also said we have Klopp for 3 more seasons, so if you're going to make mass changes to the squad, with one eye on the changes that will be coming up in the following two summers then this is the summer to do it.

I'm not convinced it even exists in football any more. 

We'll piss around with a long term project, while the rest of the world's big clubs, and also increasingly lots of smaller ones bought out by various despots, kings and warlords, simply don't. 

It just wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if within 18 months Alisson, Konate, Mac Allister, and Diaz' agents were pimping them out to third division sides in Bahrain who can pay them £2.8m a minute, and we have to start another long term project. In the meantime Kim Jong Un has bought Brentford, and Netanyahu has bought Milton Keynes. 

22 hours ago, cloggypop said:

Danny Blanchflower

16 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

If you strutted your stuff before 1985 in these parts you’re basically fucked.

I probably still wouldn’t have heard of the cunt if it wasn’t for this image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It is pretty simple.

Hendo is finished at the level we need and i have zero desire to see him run past, by and through game after game after game again and fail to win challenge after challenge, be outmuscled etc etc.

Fabinho whilst not quite as bad isn't much better now.

So for me it is time (past time actually) to just say ta-ra and if we can get 10m for Hendo, 40m for Fabinho and clear 400k a week in wages and use all that towards bringing in players with all the attributes our midfield has been desperately short of for too long, then it is an absolutely terrific and exciting opportunity, we simply should not waste.

It of course means we have to act swiftly now and make sure we get it right and yeah it has probably accelerated a process we would have had a slightly slower/more measured plan for, and it can be argued there is risk in it - but for my money it is a golden opportunity to rid an area of the team that has been in terminal decline of the worst culprits for that decline and get good money for doing so....Money we can put to great use in injecting back into the team the sort of players, with the sort of attributes we need to look like a Jurgen Klopp team again and begin the journey back to the top - out with the old and in decline, we can't and we should not carry them any longer - it is time to be ruthless and it just so happens we have been offered the chance to get rid with pretty favourable benefits financially - and in with the new, alongside the likes of Jones, TAA et al and the proven PL quality we have added in Mac Allister.

Yeah it is for me exciting.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Its got nothing to do with that at all.

If the team performs poorly again, I think even Jurgen might reconsider his position. You can damn well rely on the owners having a look at it too, especially if it starts threatening their earnings long term. Never underestimate anything in football.