You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dogs,cats and other pets

Lee909

I'm finally in a position to get a dog next year. So thought I'd start a general thread on pets in general. 

Anyway

While I'm still not sure what breed I'm getting I've been looking at feeding options. We had a dog before and he ate mostly dry food with some meat,tins etc from time to time. I've been looking at the videos of a Raw/BARF diet for the dog, has anyone done this?

I'm planning on heading up to crufts in March as its handy to actually talk to people with experience of the different breeds and how they feed etc. 

This is your biggest mistake

"I'm planning on heading up to crufts in March as its handy to actually talk to people with experience of the different breeds and how they feed etc. "

The dogs at Crufts aren't 'pets'. 

You're looking at feeding options before deciding what breed? 

I think you need to take a step back. 

11 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I think you need to take a step back. 

I worked with dogs for a number of years. I know what I'm doing. But the raw diet is pretty new so seeing if anyone has any experience. But not sure on the breed it more a case of narrowing it down as I ha e a few in mind. 

I've been to crufts and if you are not in the top show rings then most of the people are good to talk to. They are family pets mote than show dogs. Some of the breeds I'm looking at, I wouldn't take on after 6 months old. If I was on my own and not working I would, but I'm not willing to take on a large breed that has possible behaviour issues

Grew up in the dog show / training world for a bit, including aunts who did crufts top ring, in breed standards and obedience. I agree the dogs were most certainly loved and definitely part of the famillys they belonged to.

There are grudges though...I was never alowed to watch Blue Peter because our dog beat their dog in an obedience competition and they didn't congratulate us - a familly with kids...wankers!

11 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Do not get a Westie. I've had 12 years of fucking headaches because of the dogs allergies. I had a Boxer years ago and it was a great companion. 

That can happen with any breed.

My sister has a Spaniel with food allergies. Costs a fucking fortune to feed him and my mum had a Labrador that couldn't be walked on grass because it got sores between its toes due to an allergy.

We had a couple of Cairn Terriers, one we never had a problem with but the other had dry eye and needed ointment costing £50 a month for life.

You can get a mutt from a rescue centre and never have a problem or you can spend a lot of money on a pedigree and never be away from the vet.

They're a massive commitment either way, it's just the luck of the draw I suppose. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’m thinking of getting an African Grey Parrot after my dog croaks it. We’ve had a hamster and a dog. It’s my turn to choose next. 

They are great but remember you'll need someone to take over from you. They can live 60-80 years as pets

8 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

That can happen with any breed.

My sister has a Spaniel with food allergies. Costs a fucking fortune to feed him and my mum had a Labrador that couldn't be walked on grass because it got sores between its toes due to an allergy.

We had a couple of Cairn Terriers, one we never had a problem with but the other had dry eye and needed ointment costing £50 a month for life.

You can get a mutt from a rescue centre and never have a problem or you can spend a lot of money on a pedigree and never be away from the vet.

They're a massive commitment either way, it's just the luck of the draw I suppose. 

This is what my dog suffers from. It fuckin stinks when he's on a break from the steroids. Poor fella does be itchy as fuck.

http://westiemed.org/malassezia/

8 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

This is what my dog suffers from. It fuckin stinks when he's on a break from the steroids. Poor fella does be itchy as fuck.

http://westiemed.org/malassezia/

Poor lad, I hope it settled for him.

We bought my mum in law a Westie when she retired, he lived to be 18.

He was a smashing dog, a real character who only ever saw the vet for his annual booster and when he sadly had a stroke and had to be put to sleep.

You've been unlucky mate.

9 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Get a rescue dog. That's all you need to know. 

This.

Our third dog was rescued from a puppy farm, a Cockapoo aged 7 months and had spent her entire life in a cage, earmarked for breeding.

She was terrified of everything and everybody. Men especially. 

We got her from a rescue centre in March when she was 10 months.

She was bloody hard work, used to hide in a corner shaking and did some chewing but she's a different dog now.

She runs up to greet you and is very affectionate.

Good little house dog too.

Very rewarding if you've got the time and patience.

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

This.

Our third dog was rescued from a puppy farm, a Cockapoo aged 7 months and had spent her entire life in a cage, earmarked for breeding.

She was terrified of everything and everybody. Men especially. 

We got her from a rescue centre in March when she was 10 months.

She was bloody hard work, used to hide in a corner shaking and did some chewing but she's a different dog now.

She runs up to greet you and is very affectionate.

Good little house dog too.

Very rewarding if you've got the time and patience.

Charlee is a Parsons Jack Russel. Between 6 and 8 months old when we got him. Used as a bait dog to rile up fighting dogs as a puppy. The most affectionate, playful lad in the world but scarred for life where other dogs are concerned. Has to go out with a muzzle on as he has developed fight or flight with other dogs. And being a Jack Russell it's always going to be fight. 

Diet wise is pedigree chum and mixer biscuits and we mince up the odd cooked chicken thigh and stir that in. No need to ponce about with this diet and that diet. 

3 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Charlee is a Parsons Jack Russel. Between 6 and 8 months old when we got him. Used as a bait dog to rile up fighting dogs as a puppy. The most affectionate, playful lad in the world but scarred for life where other dogs are concerned. Has to go out with a muzzle on as he has developed fight or flight with other dogs. And being a Jack Russell it's always going to be fight. 

Diet wise is pedigree chum and mixer biscuits and we mince up the odd cooked chicken thigh and stir that in. No need to ponce about with this diet and that diet. 

My late brother in law got a Jack Russell from the Dogs Trust near Dumfries when he lived up there.

He thought that had been used as a bait dog as he was scarred and his fangs had been blunted and hated bigger dogs.

We had a Labrador who was soft as shite at the time and we had to be careful when we went there to stay which was quite often.

The dog was a loon and you had to be very careful.

It wasn't the dogs fault people are cunts, but he really was damaged and a dog that couldn't be trusted.