You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal (A) - Sun 9th Oct 2022 (4:30pm)

Trumo

Hendo getting banned for 6 months would maybe not be all that bad - but then look at the other options and realise they are actually worse - which says it all about our midfield situation.

Disclaimer:

I say this tongue in cheek and as someone who loves what Hendo has done for us - but he is sadly in serious and irreversible decline now....

1 minute ago, johnsusername said:

Fucking hell - the thing that really wound me up (in a game full of wind ups) was Gomez getting booked for time wasting on that throw in. How many seasons have we had to put up with opposition teams time wasting from the start with fuck all ever done by the referee? Even then sometimes to rub salt into the wound you might get the goalie being booked in injury time. It's not like we'd been time wasting all game, as if it was a build up of offences.

We were comically shite, but the referee was the chief clown at the circus. 

Ironically at one point the ref waited about 12 minutes for one of theirs to take a throw in then had to blow to tell him to get on with it. 

• Upvote 1

The difference between our game in January and this was stark. Weathered the storm for 20 minutes, got our foot on the ball and showed them the gap between pretenders and champions. 

The decisions made in Boston have made a title challenge this season impossible and more humiliating displays like today a certainty. The City game will be ugly, but I think Napoli could be worse, much worse.

Diaz would have made a difference if he'd stayed on. Arsenal leave a lot of space - in fairness, they come out and play football -  and himself and Nunez exploited it well in the first half. 

It's alarming that Salah was still anonymous against a side that didn't just sit back. 

45 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Fucking hell - the thing that really wound me up (in a game full of wind ups) was Gomez getting booked for time wasting on that throw in. How many seasons have we had to put up with opposition teams time wasting from the start with fuck all ever done by the referee? Even then sometimes to rub salt into the wound you might get the goalie being booked in injury time. It's not like we'd been time wasting all game, as if it was a build up of offences.

We were comically shite, but the referee was the chief clown at the circus. 

I’m really looking forward to seeing plenty of opponents getting booked for time wasting at Anfield in the future. I’m also looking forward to opponents being made to take throw ins in the right place, instead of being allowed to grab 10-15 yards.

I’m not holding my breath.

45 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Diaz would have made a difference if he'd stayed on. Arsenal leave a lot of space - in fairness, they come out and play football -  and himself and Nunez exploited it well in the first half. 

It's alarming that Salah was still anonymous against a side that didn't just sit back. 

It's a myth that he's always double or triple marked. Just not making the runs to find space. 

50 minutes ago, DaveT said:

I’m really looking forward to seeing plenty of opponents getting booked for time wasting at Anfield in the future. I’m also looking forward to opponents being made to take throw ins in the right place, instead of being allowed to grab 10-15 yards.

Dont hold your breath. I remember fat Jon Moss booking Trent during the first half of a game at city because the city hordes were yelling over the 15 seconds he'd taken getting ready to take a throw in. It was laughable, but not, considering how Moss and his cohorts let oppos take their time over throw ins at Anfield and not say a word.

2 hours ago, Vincent Vega said:

Twitter full of stuff about Henderson being accused of racially abusing Gabriel after the penalty was given. Surely Gabriel has misheard him? Apparently the FA are going to be investigating.

He called him a 'geordie cunt.' How is that racist?!

But fuck me, whatever, you just know the twiteratti and other mongs will pin racism on Hendo now. I saw there was a bit of an altercation but that's fucking stooping low accusing Hendo of racist words.

2 hours ago, George Costanza said:

I don't think Klopp knows how to fix the situation.  We look one of the most inbalanced & disjointed teams in the league and given some of the shite in this league that's going some way.

Everything they've done over the summer they need to undo.  The change of tactics needs binning now and we need to go back to be a counter attacking team because we can't press, we're too slow and simply not fit enough which is exposing us massively.  That is a fact.

I wonder what our record home defeat is in the PL because it'll be beaten next week

We conceded 7 against Aston Villa with Freakish in the team. Add Haaland to that and it could be a rugby score.

Autocorrect! Grealish. 

It does seem like everything that can go wrong will go wrong this season. We were producing our best football of the season with Diaz a big part of that and then he ends up going off injured. I felt there were 3 penalty incidents in the game that all could have gone one way or another. None of them were nailed on ones you'd definitely get but sometimes they get given and the ref ended up giving them 1 and turning down 2 for us. Maybe we'd have got at least a point otherwise.

Having said that, we were clearly second best throughout the second half. It looked like a young, vibrant team on the rise up against an aging team in decline. I had the same impression watching Brighton slicing through us at will last week. So many of our players just looked slow and tired. We look as bad defensively as we did under Rodgers and at the start of Klopp's time here. It was farcical how many chances we had to clear the ball in the build up to the penalty, and even though it might have been soft van Dijk yet again gave the ref a decision to make with the sort of rash challenge he never seemed to need to resort to in the past. It felt like the big moment of the game was their goal just before half time as we really should have gone in level at worst, but we did get it back to 2-2 (completely against the run of play), but it was just all Arsenal after that.

I'm not sure how we fix things. I have no idea how they've become so broken to begin with. The obvious answer is to strengthen the squad in January. The world cup halting the season for a month provides some hope at least that there would be enough games left in the new year to at least salvage a top 4 place. But we've all seen how unwilling the owners are when it comes to spending any money despite constantly raving about record sponsorship deals etc. They wouldn't even sanction any proper signings when we literally had none of our central defenders left a couple of seasons back. No doubt we can look forward to more stories of how January is always a difficult time to buy and how there's not a single player available who would improve us.   

It's hard to think of another example of a team having such a dramatic drop off from 1 season to the next. Everything fell apart in the covid season but there were so many extenuating factors that year. We arguably had our strongest 11 starting that game today.  Maybe Chelsea when they went from winning the league to finishing about 10th one season? But there seemed to be all sorts going on behind the scenes that year with them. It's hard to know why so many players who have been top class in the last few seasons have all been so below par at the same time. Trent, van Dijk and Salah all look like they've been replaced with their far less talented twin brothers. 

It feels like things might get worse before they get better. It feels like the City game could get really ugly next week if they're really at it. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, DaveT said:

That yellow for Joe was supremely  infuriating. The sheer arrogance to give us a card when Ben White (or whoever the fuck it was) took what felt like 10min for a throw in at the same part of the ground had me livid. That along with all the other inconsistent calls today.  

Add to that, the Cunt that is Arteta constantly moaning about throw ins, alleged fouls and anything else he wanted to whine about. Waving his hands around like one of those air filled tube men at the side of the road.

Did anyone else catch the him, late in the game rush to the sideline as we broke their press and Harvey was trying to get away with the ball. I swear he was trying to put Harvey off. I completely lost my shit when I saw that. Screaming at the Telly. That was incendiary. Klopp should have collared him for that. Hopefully there’s a gif of that.

8 hours ago, an tha said:

Hendo getting banned for 6 months would maybe not be all that bad - but then look at the other options and realise they are actually worse - which says it all about our midfield situation.

Disclaimer:

I say this tongue in cheek and as someone who loves what Hendo has done for us - but he is sadly in serious and irreversible decline now....

As a Henderson fan myself I am sorry to say that I agree. With a couple of younger midfield signings in the summer he would be making cameo appearances now. Instead he is tuiling like a carthorse in a team desperate for new blood.

PS what an absolute bunch of cheating,diving and moaning cunts Arsenal have become. That Jesus makes Richarlison look like he is superglued to the grass. That said,if PL referees weren't absolute shithouses then most would learn their lesson with red and yellow cards galore.

This isn't like declines of the past where our squad was full of cracks and papered over with one or two great players like Gerrard or Owen, this team - despite our frustrations - is still packed to the rafters with genuine, world class talent.

It's just got the fatal flaw of a an ageing, bog average midfield and a weak link at right back who really should be a midfielder. 

You can paper over these types of issues when you're playing at full pelt and nobody gets a chance to go for your weak spots, but when you take the foot off the accelerator they come for you where you're weak - and we're weak in those spots, always have been. 

Not strengthening in midfield is an act of criminal neglect. A Ray Charles and Garth Crooks punditry team could have spotted those weaknesses stretching back years. Bringing on players like Milner, Keita, Jones and watching them get tied up in knots and having to be bailed out by a truly world class front three was only ever going to last for so long before it all turned to shit.

The midfield needs ripping out and rebuilding from the ground up, I'd genuinely only keep Fabinho (based on what we've seen in the past, not current form), with Thiago as a luxury player - as he's about as reliable as an 80s Ford motorcar built in Speke on a Friday afternoon. The rest can get ghost. 

• Upvote 1