You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone’s Having a Real Laugh - How Long Until They ‘Bin Bag’ Ten Hag?

7 minutes ago, Funkasy said:

They just got hit with a ffp fine. No way they can afford any huge outlay unless they sell a few players for good money and that is also just as unlikely.

Reckon they'll make a bit with selling Varane to Saudis amd Sancho to a West Ham type. 

39 minutes ago, Funkasy said:

They just got hit with a ffp fine. No way they can afford any huge outlay unless they sell a few players for good money and that is also just as unlikely.

If the money from this quarter sale is used as investment, I think that buys them breathing space. 

30 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Reckon they'll make a bit with selling Varane to Saudis amd Sancho to a West Ham type. 

What's it been rumoured west ham will pay for Sancho? Surely they can't even make a book profit on him? 

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

If the money from this quarter sale is used as investment, I think that buys them breathing space. 

What's it been rumoured west ham will pay for Sancho? Surely they can't even make a book profit on him? 

I don't understand all the profit stuff. But seem to remember reading 40ml or so somebody was willing to pay. Varane was linked with a 40ml move to Saudi at the end of the summer window

18 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I don't understand all the profit stuff. But seem to remember reading 40ml or so somebody was willing to pay. Varane was linked with a 40ml move to Saudi at the end of the summer window

He will be half way though his deal, so at 40m, it will represent about break even for them, although of course it will free up his amortisation budget, so I guess in theory it gives them the possibility of buying someone for the 75-80m they bought him for. 

Varane is going to be a decent profit and they will free up his costs on the books - it looks like he's 2.5 years into a 4 year deal, so 40m would represent about a 25m profit in this season. So that could give them another 125m from the fee and another 50m they could spend on amortisation saving.

It might give them problems this summer to balance the books for next year, but I reckon if those fees are right, it gives them around 250m they could spend this window if they sold those two. And even to keep next year's books in order they could spend about half that. 

Sancho costs them £15.5m per year in wages and £17m in book costs. If they sold him to West Ham in January they'd need £42.5m to break even, but a much bigger problem is West Ham being unlikely to pay him anything like £16m a season. If they want rid, they'd likely need to pay up the difference between West Ham's wage offer - likely to be two thirds his current salary at absolute best - for the 2.5 years he's got left. And if you're West Ham, would you be offering him even £200k per week after his shitshow move?

So I'd say they'd need a minimum of £50m to break even on Sancho, possibly even as much as £60m, due to the fact they chucked a stupid amount of cash at an unproven child as a basic salary.

Incidentally, transfermarkt.com value him at EUR32m...

• Upvote 2

I can actually picture Maguire, McTominay and Sancho in their Everton shirts in autumn 2024 so clearly. 

They're celebrating near the corner flag at Goodison after Maguire opens the scoring by heading home a Sancho corner against Brentford. Maguire is pointing to his captain's armband and shouting something indecipherable. They lose 3-1. 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, El Rojo said:

I can actually picture Maguire, McTominay and Sancho in their Everton shirts in autumn 2024 so clearly. 

They're celebrating near the corner flag at Goodison after Maguire opens the scoring by heading home a Sancho corner against Brentford. Maguire is pointing to his captain's armband and shouting something indecipherable. They lose 3-1. 

McTominay is a good signing for the majority of teams in the league

9 hours ago, El Rojo said:

McTominay is probably their most effective player this season. As mental as that sounds.