You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

Struggling a bit with this one. We've obviously seen something we really like, but the numbers are pretty insane for such relatively unproven talent.

From the limited clips I've seen (and our 2 matches), my thoughts are;

- pretty rapid for such a big guy, good acceleration as well as great pace over longer distances

- is able to finish with both feet, and has a pretty decent strike with his right

- seems like he has very good movement in the box

- good in the air, should be able to threaten from both open play and set pieces. Could be useful with flick-ons and winning headers near the opposition goal late on in matches we're trailing, but we don't really play a lot like that...

- seems to have great stamina, even if his pressing needs to improve (in terms of defenders getting past him a bit too easily)

- not great with his back to goal. Takes too long to get the ball under control, even if he's able to physically withstand the pressure from defenders.

- his touch and technique needs improvement if he's to be effective in interplay with our other forwards.

- the keepers in the Portuguese league seem shockingly bad!

I think we will need to alter our playing style a bit if he's going to live up to his price-tag in terms of goal involvement. With two quick forwards either side of him (Salah, Diaz), he's not really your typical false 9 or connector between the three. There might be some issues getting him running behind from the forward position too. I'm guessing we'll see him used just as much on the left as we'll see him up top (which will drive the "proper number 9" crowd crazy).

He will certainly give us options. I'm just not sure it will be worth it, with the media (and some of our supporters) which will be out for blood, it could get tiresome if he doesn't hit the ground running. I didn't really want Haaland for many of the same reasons I'm a bit lukewarm on this guy. Neither really fits the way we're set up right now, and even if they get more than their share of goals, the team play will be detrimented. Hopefully I'm wrong, and he becomes a roaring success, making us a better team in the process. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I still think Firmino has a big role to play for us. I think (barring new injuries) he'll feature heavily next season and possibly beyond.

Diaz - Firmino - Salah

Nunez - Firmino - Salah

will imo both work better than

Diaz - Nunez - Salah

which will probably be what most supporters will want to see. On a side note , can see Jota getting pretty frustrated this season. 

Most importantly, whatever happens with this transfer, I'm fully confident Klopp will have us comptetive in both the big two competitions next season also. Very excited to see what's next, even if losing Mane is a blow (as much emotionally as in a sporting capacity).

He will cost 14m more than Keita. This isn't the end of world type stuff, some are talking like we're remortgaging the stadium to buy this lad. The extras only kick in if he does what we bought him to do.

I’m not massively concerned about the numbers. The way we structure these add ons they usually only pay out if the player lives up to the potential we see. I love Bobby but I’ve often thought that a Fernando Torres would do insane numbers in our team. No doubt we’ve missed Bobby’s intelligence and creativity since he’s gone off the boil/been injured and none of the other forwards seem to be asked to press the way he does but if he’s sticking around there’s no reason we can’t try to utilise him. I’d expect to see the four start against the shite teams with a fair bit more balance to the forward line than when we’ve tried that before. 

If we spend all our money on him and given the fitness issues with our midfield then i wonder if we may see us line up with a sort of 4-2-4 type (maybe a bit of a variation to it) formation

Alisson

TAA

Matip/Konate

VVD

Robertson

Thiago/Henderson

Fabinho

Salah (Right)

Jota 

Nunez

Diaz (Left)

Maybe too risky v the better teams but certainly v the shite the league is chocker with.

39 minutes ago, lebron said:

Struggling a bit with this one. We've obviously seen something we really like, but the numbers are pretty insane for such relatively unproven talent.

From the limited clips I've seen (and our 2 matches), my thoughts are;

- pretty rapid for such a big guy, good acceleration as well as great pace over longer distances

- is able to finish with both feet, and has a pretty decent strike with his right

- seems like he has very good movement in the box

- good in the air, should be able to threaten from both open play and set pieces. Could be useful with flick-ons and winning headers near the opposition goal late on in matches we're trailing, but we don't really play a lot like that...

- seems to have great stamina, even if his pressing needs to improve (in terms of defenders getting past him a bit too easily)

- not great with his back to goal. Takes too long to get the ball under control, even if he's able to physically withstand the pressure from defenders.

- his touch and technique needs improvement if he's to be effective in interplay with our other forwards.

- the keepers in the Portuguese league seem shockingly bad!

I think we will need to alter our playing style a bit if he's going to live up to his price-tag in terms of goal involvement. With two quick forwards either side of him (Salah, Diaz), he's not really your typical false 9 or connector between the three. There might be some issues getting him running behind from the forward position too. I'm guessing we'll see him used just as much on the left as we'll see him up top (which will drive the "proper number 9" crowd crazy).

He will certainly give us options. I'm just not sure it will be worth it, with the media (and some of our supporters) which will be out for blood, it could get tiresome if he doesn't hit the ground running. I didn't really want Haaland for many of the same reasons I'm a bit lukewarm on this guy. Neither really fits the way we're set up right now, and even if they get more than their share of goals, the team play will be detrimented. Hopefully I'm wrong, and he becomes a roaring success, making us a better team in the process. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I still think Firmino has a big role to play for us. I think (barring new injuries) he'll feature heavily next season and possibly beyond.

Diaz - Firmino - Salah

Nunez - Firmino - Salah

will imo both work better than

Diaz - Nunez - Salah

which will probably be what most supporters will want to see. On a side note , can see Jota getting pretty frustrated this season. 

Most importantly, whatever happens with this transfer, I'm fully confident Klopp will have us comptetive in both the big two competitions next season also. Very excited to see what's next, even if losing Mane is a blow (as much emotionally as in a sporting capacity).

The technique is definitely a question mark. I don't love the talk about his knees either.

But when you think about it, his profile is very coherent. Because at the same time, he's the versatile "inside forward" we've been using for years in the 4-3-3, and I think he'll allow us to play more 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2/4-2-4. So he could be potentially more of the same that has always been great, and he also gives us the option of evolving tactically.

I think a strike partnership of Nunez and Salah sounds pretty great and Jota and Firmino also both suit playing off a striker in a front 2. So you have 4 strikers there. Then you have Diaz who is a great pure winger and Firmino and Carvalho are #10's. So there's a lot of possible versatility now. And Henderson, Keita and Elliott play an auxiliary right wing position anyway even in the 4-3-3, so they already fit the nominal right side in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2.  And I think the next midfield signing could either add to the double pivot or be another auxiliary player. Could even be a pure right winger in that type of formation. There's a lot of possibilities.

In sum, I think the profile is great, but yeah, there's questions to be answered about some of his qualities. But we know we can trust Klopp in his evaluations and development of players.

I'm totally psyched about this mainly because I'm pretty sure he hasn't been approached on the back of 2 games against us. I reckon Sadio has let us know about his plans to leave for a while - hence no real effort with a new contact from the club - and Jurgen has just gone along the lines of 'no problem, we'll get it sorted.'

Sadio has been nothing short of a superstar for us and normally I'd be feeling gutted that he's going but the fact that Klopp seems to be on top of the problem bodes well for the future. The king is dead etc etc.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, an tha said:

If we spend all our money on him and given the fitness issues with our midfield then i wonder if we may see us line up with a sort of 4-2-4 type (maybe a bit of a variation to it) formation

Alisson

TAA

Matip/Konate

VVD

Robertson

Thiago/Henderson

Fabinho

Salah (Right)

Jota 

Nunez

Diaz (Left)

I’d say one of those forwards would be Firmino/Carvalho doing the leg work behind Jota/Nunez. Jota has good movement and mobility but he’s only really excelled as a proper striker. 

We will definitely need some fresh legs in that midfield two as well if we aspire to succeed playing four forwards.

2 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

I’d say one of those forwards would be Firmino/Carvalho doing the leg work behind Jota/Nunez. Jota has good movement and mobility but he’s only really excelled as a proper striker. 

We will definitely need some fresh legs in that midfield two as well if we aspire to succeed playing four forwards.

Deffo options yeah

Brilliant. 

“He didn’t want us so we’ll say it’s too expensive”.

Fooling nobody. 

0BB86C40-5348-4ED2-8CAA-69156D03B668.png

If only we’d had been able to mastermind the signings of McGuire, Pogba, Di Maria, Sanchez, Wan Bissaka & Fred, we might have gotten somewhere. 

• Upvote 1