You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Welcome to Liverpool Luis Diaz

Bjornebye

22 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Last season I definitely thought Jota was better out wide, but this season he’s been excellent at centre forward. Great in the air, quality finisher, can beat a player and link play.
What else is missing from a proper number 9? Bit of back to goal hold up work?

He was definitely better out wide. Think he's just played in the middle as firmino has been the worst/least available. 

If Mane continues his shocking form then could seem him back out wide once we actually field a front three again 

26 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Last season I definitely thought Jota was better out wide, but this season he’s been excellent at centre forward. Great in the air, quality finisher, can beat a player and link play.
What else is missing from a proper number 9? Bit of back to goal hold up work?

He is great in the air for his size I agree. Okay, when we’re desperate for a goal, we often pass ball aimlessly in front of a deep lying back ten. That’s when space is at a premium, and our forwards thrive on space to run into. I reckon we need a different type of striker. Someone who’d thrive in that scenario. I’ve mentioned Bamford or Calvert-Lewin before. I reckon Havertz could be moulded into that type too.

• Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think Jota's a focal point, given how we try to service him. I don't think he's bad at it either. Imo, he's better at that then at dropping deep.

It's not either a focal point or dropping deep.

Man City don't play with a focal point. Barca's focal point was a deep-dropping Messi for over 10 years.

Jota is not, and will almost certainly never be, our focal point.

11 minutes ago, aRdja said:

He is great in the air for his size I agree. Okay, when we’re desperate for a goal, we often pass ball aimlessly in front of a deep lying back ten. That’s when space is at a premium, and our forwards thrive on space to run into. I reckon we need a different type of striker. Someone who’d thrive in that scenario. I’ve mentioned Bamford or Calvert-Lewin before. I reckon Havertz could be moulded into that type too.

What can Bamford or Calvert-Lewin do that Jota doesn’t already do for us better though? 
This is what I am struggling to understand here.

Jesus Christ your obsession with Bamford is baffling. He has 18(non pen/20 total)top flight goals in his career. A month into next season he will be 29. 

Since start of 2020/21 

Bamford G19/A10, Games 44/ 3,521 Minutes

Firmino G13/A9, Games 46/ 3,287 minutes

He's just signed a 5 year contract and your talking 40/50 million for a player approaching 30, who isn't any improvement on what we have. For the big proper number 9 he doesn't offer close to the amount of goals you would want to change the approach it would need. He is a career journeyman and nothing more. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

What can Bamford or Calvert-Lewin do that Jota doesn’t already do for us better though? 
This is what I am struggling to understand here.

Different style of play. The two english strikers are bigger, more physical, more adept at holding up the play, and they make different types of runs than Jota. Jota, like Mane and Salah his natural instinct is to make runs in behind. Bamford or DCL would make better a target in the box IMO.

44 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Different style of play. The two english strikers are bigger, more physical, more adept at holding up the play, and they make different types of runs than Jota. Jota, like Mane and Salah his natural instinct is to make runs in behind. Bamford or DCL would make better a target in the box IMO.

That's assuming we want a different style of play. 

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

So Jota’s faster and scores more goals, but you want a big lump who doesn’t move as well instead?

When we play a Jota, Salah and Mane front 3, those are three strikers right there. Firmino is less of a striker and plays a less forward role than the other 3 in his positioning and style. There's a clear alternative there already. 

We play quite direct with Jota and Mane playing central. The long ball over the top to Jota and Mane is something we do often, all 3 of Mane, Salah and Jota can pin defenders while receiving the ball with their backs to goal and both Jota and Mane are good at attacking high crosses. By all intents and purposes, Jota and Mane are often used like a "classic" no9 would. People just get bogged down by the fact they don't look like your traditional number 9 or because they've played other positions prior, notably the wing. 

Vlahovic is the best forward option by far. He scores pretty much a goal a game. He's as prolific as Salah for a mid-table side; in a league where it's notoriously difficult to score goals. And it's not like he's a one-season wonder either; he did exactly the same thing last season as well. Sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face. 

Just now, Boss said:

Vlahovic is the best forward option by far. He scores pretty much a goal a game. He's as prolific as Salah for a mid-table side; in a league where it's notoriously difficult to score goals. And it's not like he's a one-season wonder either; he did exactly the same thing last season as well. Sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face. 

Yeah I don’t think that’s been the case at least for the last 15 years Boss.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Boss said:

Yeah, but he's no  Bamford or Calvert-Lewin.

I like Vlahovic a lot and think he could fit in here. His link up play is very good and he's very mobile for his size as well being very young. Trent would love whipping balls onto his head all day long.

1 hour ago, Boss said:

I know we bought salah from serie a, and that's obviously worked out amazingly, but if you look at who the second highest scorer is there, ciro immobile, you can't help but think that the league isn't up to much. 

Even lukaku isn't exactly pulling up any trees at Chelsea after ripping that league to pieces

5 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

When we play a Jota, Salah and Mane front 3, those are three strikers right there. Firmino is less of a striker and plays a less forward role than the other 3 in his positioning and style. There's a clear alternative there already. 

We play quite direct with Jota and Mane playing central. The long ball over the top to Jota and Mane is something we do often, all 3 of Mane, Salah and Jota can pin defenders while receiving the ball with their backs to goal and both Jota and Mane are good at attacking high crosses. By all intents and purposes, Jota and Mane are often used like a "classic" no9 would. People just get bogged down by the fact they don't look like your traditional number 9 or because they've played other positions prior, notably the wing. 

They're not classic number 9s though. And the play nothing like a classic number 9 would.

A classic number 9 is a Torres, Rush, Shearer, Van Nistelrooy, Kane, Batitstuta.

You're probably too young to remember.

3 hours ago, m0e said:

They're not classic number 9s though. And the play nothing like a classic number 9 would.

A classic number 9 is a Torres, Rush, Shearer, Van Nistelrooy, Kane, Batitstuta.

You're probably too young to remember.

I explained why I think they do in a way. 

You're not really saying much or refuting any of what I'm saying. 

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I explained why I think they do in a way. 

You're not really saying much or refuting any of what I'm saying. 

This is a silly exchange. Do you think any of Jota, Salah or Mane is similar to Calvert-Lewin or Bamford in terms of style of play? That’s the profile of striker I reckon we should bring in because we’re lacking a plan B especially when chasing a goal against a back ten.

6 hours ago, Em City said:

Yeah, but he's no  Bamford or Calvert-Lewin.

I like Vlahovic a lot and think he could fit in here. His link up play is very good and he's very mobile for his size as well being very young. Trent would love whipping balls onto his head all day long.

He could do with four or five seasons in League One to prove himself in England. I refuse to believe that good footballers exist in Italy. 

1 minute ago, aRdja said:

This is a silly exchange. Do you think any of Jota, Salah or Mane is similar to Calvert-Lewin or Bamford in terms of style of play? That’s the profile of striker I reckon we should bring in because we’re lacking a plan B especially when chasing a goal against a back ten.

The difference in style between a Bamford/Calvert-Lewin and say Jota/Mane is that the former are pretty static in their position and stay central. Jota and Mane can move around and interchange during games. They can change positions, go wide, etc... But that doesn't mean they can't play like a no9. Do we or do we not play direct to Mane and Jota? Are they not good in the air?

12 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The difference in style between a Bamford/Calvert-Lewin and say Jota/Mane is that the former are pretty static in their position and stay central. Jota and Mane can move around and interchange during games. They can change positions, go wide, etc... But that doesn't mean they can't play like a no9. Do we or do we not play direct to Mane and Jota? Are they not good in the air?

They’re good for their size but not near as good as the aforementioned English strikers. The likes of Dunk and Tarkowski would be more than happy camped in the six yard box all day against our strikers because they’d be confident that they’d win a header 9 times out of 10. Say we swap Mane with Calvert-Lewin or Bamford, then they’d think twice because if they sit too deep, they would get punished.