You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Movies Tournament - 60's - Nominations

Bjornebye

Lawrence of Arabia.

Psycho.

The Wild Bunch.

Night of the Living Dead.

The Innocents.

I’m keeping the list english-speaking, as otherwise, Ozu’s last three films and a couple of Kurosawa’s would probably warrant a place. Can’t have them there foreigners complicatin’ things… Should perhaps be a separate competition for «foreign» films…

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tarwater said:

Lawrence of Arabia.

Psycho.

The Wild Bunch.

Night of the Living Dead.

The Innocents.

I’m keeping the list english-speaking, as otherwise, Ozu’s last three films and a couple of Kurosawa’s would probably warrant a place. Can’t have them there foreigners complicatin’ things… Should perhaps be a separate competition for «foreign» films…

Yep. Good idea for a non English speaking film tournament.

Barefoot In The Park

Dr. Zhivago

Fahrenheit 451

They Shoot Horses Don’t They

The Sand Pebbles

Incredibly tough to choose five. Bond movies not even taken into consideration, obvious ones that others have nominated, I’ve literally seen dozens that are brilliant pieces of cinema. Anyway. There we go.

Chance for a few more people to nominate. I’ll kick this off tomorrow , nominations in by 10pm tonight. I won’t count any after 10. Anyone who hasn’t voted either Kes or Oliver can bring their mates and they can bring their fucking dinner and all. 

11 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Chance for a few more people to nominate. I’ll kick this off tomorrow , nominations in by 10pm tonight. I won’t count any after 10. Anyone who hasn’t voted either Kes or Oliver can bring their mates and they can bring their fucking dinner and all. 

If we’re struggling for nominations, would it be worth letting those who have already submitted their top 5, add another five films?

28 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Premature but I’ve been thinking about nominations for the 70’s. Impossible to narrow it down to five. I’d struggle if the decade was split in two. 

That’s going to be a tough old competition. 

I’ve been thinking the same about the 80s.

Would prefer more nominations each though, and keep it as one decade. The 80s is the decade when the majority of this forum fell in love with cinema I reckon, it’ll be impossible to narrow it down to 5. I would struggle to do it just with sci-fi films alone.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Neil G said:

I’ve been thinking the same about the 80s.

Would prefer more nominations each though, and keep it as one decade. The 80s is the decade when the majority of this forum fell in love with cinema I reckon, it’ll be impossible to narrow it down to 5. I would struggle to do it just with sci-fi films alone.

Its just a nightmare for me collating them all if I do more than 5 per person mate 

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Its just a nightmare for me collating them all if I do more than 5 per person mate 

I’d be happy to count them up if you want Stig, as long as you still start and manage the thread. There will be too many bona fide classics that won’t even make the cut otherwise.

Still have the same number of films in the tournament, just drawn from a wider pool.