You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Russia v Ukraine

Bjornebye

9 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

On their own?

EDIT @Arniepie

On their own people?

An atrocity is an atrocity.

I don't think there is a difference who the victim is ,and I certainly wouldn't say it was less horrific,if it was a different population..

War dehumanises pople,we have seen that throughout history.

7 hours ago, Strontium said:

RP, do notions of probability never factor into your calculations?

If I leave my house in the morning, and there's a dirty great turd on the pavement (a daily experience around here), I don't question where it came from. I know it probably came from a dog's arse. Of course, there's a theoretical probability that a human left it there, but it has to go down as fairly unlikely. It's not a 50/50 shot.

Similarly, if there are hundreds of murdered Ukrainian civilians, can you really not say: it was probably the Russians that did it? Must the attitude always be: reserve judgement until there's an insurmountable (and, in the circumstances, unlikely) pile of evidence?

If you live in Europe and hear hooves it’s possible it’s a herd of zebra, but more likely to be horses. 

7 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

First casualty of war is truth innit?

Fair to take a sceptical view of everything really. 

Exactly, especially after being spoon fed the weapons of mass destruction nonsense.

I've little doubt atrocities have been committed by the Russians but we have only been privy to information by one side during this war and a large portion is undoubtedly bullshit. 

One day we're being told Ukraine are pushing Russia back and their Army consists of clowns the next the situation is perilous.Remember the nonsense ofUkraine fighter pilot single handedly shooting down the Russian Air force? Or the Ukrainian sailors who refused to surrender? 

From this..

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60522454

To this.. 

https://www.euronews.com/2022/03/25/snake-island-sailors-freed-in-ukraine-war-prisoner-exchange-says-kyiv

It’s not really a brains trust issue - if there is evidence of a war crime (almost certain on the Russian side and now a possibility of that incident above on the Ukrainian side) then you identify those involved and you haul them before the ICC. 

8 minutes ago, Anubis said:

It’s not really a brains trust issue - if there is evidence of a war crime (almost certain on the Russian side and now a possibility of that incident above on the Ukrainian side) then you identify those involved and you haul them before the ICC. 

Not sure now's the time for a cricket match.

Putins popularity rating in Russia hits 83%.. I get the impression the sanctions that were pushed by those who won't be hurt by their consequences are not going to produce the desired outcome, they will however almost certainly make the world's poor people poorer whilst making oil/weapon/arms producers richer. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/896181/putin-approval-rating-russia/

9 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Putins popularity rating in Russia hits 83%.. I get the impression the sanctions that were pushed by those who won't be hurt by their consequences are not going to produce the desired outcome, they will however almost certainly make the world's poor people poorer whilst making oil/weapon/arms producers richer. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/896181/putin-approval-rating-russia/

Thatchers popularity went through the roof during the Falklands. The propaganda in Russia will be mucho. 

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Zero surprise if true and what we're finding out will be the tip of the iceberg.

Turning a blind eye to fascists and neo-Nazis is something our governments have done for years and we've also armed and trained them, doing things like that increases the chances of war crimes on the Ukainian side and reduces their chances of having democracy outside of war time as well.

This isn't good for Ukraine, it isn't good for us and more people will learn this as time passes.

• Downvote 6

2 hours ago, Anubis said:

You’re pinning this on Tom?

No Tom today, so we don't know who is to blame.

In the meantime, loving this regular intelligence updates from the UK MoD and their chief analyst captain Michael Obvious.