You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our CB situation.

Code

8 hours ago, m0e said:

If Lovren was still here we'd be top of the league.

Any centre back of relatively decent calibre and we'd be top of the league.

You know how I know.

Because before we lost all our centre halves, we were top of the fucking league.

City have gone along at 3 points a game since then, so I don't think we'd be top. We'd be top 4 though (if lovren had stayed fit too of course, which is less than certain considering he never played 7 on the bounce for us). 

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

City have gone along at 3 points a game since then, so I don't think we'd be top. We'd be top 4 though (if lovren had stayed fit too of course, which is less than certain considering he never played 7 on the bounce for us). 

They've had a relatively pressure-less run though. That's not all things being equal, for me.

Take your point on Lovren staying injury free though, kinell.

10 hours ago, m0e said:

They've had a relatively pressure-less run though. That's not all things being equal, for me.

Take your point on Lovren staying injury free though, kinell.

we have probably made it easier, no doubt. but we weren't as good as last season, although things did look like they were starting to click around Spurs & Palace. i think city have dealt with this covid season the best - mostly because they fixed the gaps in their squad in the summer. i saw a stat the other day that said they've been able to change on average 5 players per game. that freshness has to be an advantage in the season like this. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

we have probably made it easier, no doubt. but we weren't as good as last season, although things did look like they were starting to click around Spurs & Palace. i think city have dealt with this covid season the best - mostly because they fixed the gaps in their squad in the summer. i saw a stat the other day that said they've been able to change on average 5 players per game. that freshness has to be an advantage in the season like this. 

The lack of crowds has helped them too. Without pressure and passion the games have more closely resembled technical training exercises and their technique is better than anyone else. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

We've undoubtedly missed D.Lo this season.

That nickname isn't one of your best, Rojo. When we signed him, I called him Dominant Dejan, which I then unfortunately had to stop using when he was shown to in fact, not be dominant. But I still like the premise of it. 

3 hours ago, El Rojo said:

We've undoubtedly missed D.Lo this season.

Nah.

We've undoubtedly missed senior CBs in our defence, but it wouldn't have to be Degsy.  He was always a bit brainfart-prone and had an exaggerated sense of his own ability.  What we've missed is a bog-standard, solid, level-headed pro; a more experienced Nat Phillips would have done nicely.

4 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Stop! In the name of Lovren.

Lovren me tender, Lovren me true, all my dreams fulfilled. For my darling I Lovren you and I always will.

On 22/03/2021 at 10:13, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Absolute gimp, Lovren is.

On 22/03/2021 at 11:34, The Guest said:

He was nowhere near as bad as people made out for a large part of his time here but he was almost always poor to potential disaster when he had to be the dominant cb of the two and that  was even at his peak never mind now.   Had he still been here I’ve no doubt we would still be in this position and maybe even worse.  The defence hasn’t been the issue.  It’s been the front 3.

On 23/03/2021 at 07:45, joe_fishfish said:

Lovren is such a fucking gobshite.

Yeah, that’s a negging. 

I’d bomb Klopp out for Lovren tomorrow if I could. 

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Yeah, that’s a negging. 

I’d bomb Klopp out for Lovren tomorrow if I could. 

The front 3 have been absolute aids since December.  You could argue even before then.  Other than Leicester I don’t think there’s a game where the lads at centre back have had a major stinker or cost us the game.  I reckon Phillips has played far better than Lovren would have done.  I actually think had he been here and had to play centre back with some of the young lads he wouldn’t have just made things worse he would have potentially ruined their careers.

It’s got Reina vibes for me this and he never even had a sustained period of quality like Reina but people believing he would have made things any better are deluded.  He’s absolutely finished at this level and wasn’t exactly great to begin with.