You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

1 hour ago, m0e said:

Who said anything about identical numbers?

And who said anything about the years?

I'm talking the entire history of football.

You gave me one example.

A player who isn't even in the top 10 players at his club, let alone in the world.

Like Mane was 3 years in succession.

If there aren't any examples of players with Mane's numbers and the spectacular decline we saw this season, that's exactly my point.

How’s about Benzema?

Check out how many goals he scored in La Liga in 2015-6, then the 2016-7 and 2017-8 seasons. Then look at his last three.

• Upvote 1

According to a titbit in the Echo via some source, Dortmund are lining up a €70m bid for Mane. They havent got that kind of money, have they, even if they sell Sancho or Haaland? Thought they had big debts and their model was buy young PL players then flog them off rather than splash out big?

56 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

How’s about Benzema?

Check out how many goals he scored in La Liga in 2015-6, then the 2016-7 and 2017-8 seasons. Then look at his last three.

Benzema is a bit particular in that he was a foil to Ronaldo and basically at his service. Then when he left it freed him up a bit and he became the main man. 

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

According to a titbit in the Echo via some source, Dortmund are lining up a €70m bid for Mane. They havent got that kind of money, have they, even if they sell Sancho or Haaland? Thought they had big debts and their model was buy young PL players then flog them off rather than splash out big?

An obvious solution to this a. if they want him, and b. we are prepared to sell him. 

26 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

It was reported by a Danish news outlet last night. Some how I doubt a Danish news outlet have the scoops on a transfer of an African player between a German and English club. That being said, the only way they would offer £70m for Mane is if they agreed to our valuation of him in a swap deal with Sancho. Not sure why though.

8 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

It was reported by a Danish news outlet last night. Some how I doubt a Danish news outlet have the scoops on a transfer of an African player between a German and English club. That being said, the only way they would offer £70m for Mane is if they agreed to our valuation of him in a swap deal with Sancho. Not sure why though.

Yep. It makes no sense. Unless Sancho was involved. 

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

How’s about Benzema?

That's a good example.

3 Stacks already stated one main difference though. Mane has been in the same team, with the same role, and the same players around him.

I also don't believe Benzema's all round performance dropped off, despite the goals.

But to be fair, I hardly watch Spanish football.

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

It's astounding how often Mane is blatantly fouled and nothing given. Blatent as fuck clear as daylight fouls and its play on. 

This hasn't been spoken about nearly enough.

Klopp mentioned it a few times in post matches, but he needs to speak up more, as it's an absolute joke.

Some would say astounding.

Twice, even.

I love Mane and until December, I would have called him a genuine candidate for a world eleven. At the very least, he was in that conversation.

Since then, he has been awful. He has looked like a poor premiership player. I would still back him to turn it around because it is rare for a player to decline massively in a few months.

My gut feeling is that the last 15 months have taken a massive ammount out of him. I think he might be single and I know he is meant to be very family orientated. It can't be easy. He certainly looks unhappy and I always used to see him as a very content lad and he seemed very popular.

Ideally you would love to keep him, but if he does fund Sancho or unlikely bids for Mbappe or Haaland, I would be supportive of it, as I'd rather change the front three one by one then in 18-24 months.

My worry about Mane is that he may have lost his pace, which for all his fight and strength was his biggest attribute, it was frightening.  Noticed the other night when we were on a break that his sprint was nowhere near what it used to be. 

46 minutes ago, neko said:

Excuse me, but when does the transfer window open this year ?

The transfer market will re-open on Wednesday, June 9, though most international deals will not go through until July 1.

In 2019, the window closed at 5:00 p.m. BST on the Thursday before the first day of the season. But the trial of closing the window before the season kicks off is over, and the window will run right through to Aug. 31 at 11 p.m. BST.

Just now, neko said:

The transfer market will re-open on Wednesday, June 9, though most international deals will not go through until July 1.

In 2019, the window closed at 5:00 p.m. BST on the Thursday before the first day of the season. But the trial of closing the window before the season kicks off is over, and the window will run right through to Aug. 31 at 11 p.m. BST.

Cheers - thanks for that.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Barce, Real and Juve are broke, we should start acting like billy big bollocks and have a go at shafting them for their big players.

Barce are effectively rummaging through the lost property table this summer, matching tracksuit pants with suit jackets. Bringing in Aguero and Depay because they’re free. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Barce, Real and Juve are broke, we should start acting like billy big bollocks and have a go at shafting them for their big players.

Barcelona in particular. Pedri, Ansu Fati and Ousmane Dembele all only have a year left on their deals.

11 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Barce are effectively rummaging through the lost property table this summer, matching tracksuit pants with suit jackets. Bringing in Aguero and Depay because they’re free. 

They're well and truly in the shit and I'm sure giving Aguero 300k a week over two years will work out well for them whilst they keep paying Messi Ethopia's GDP a week, Dembele far too much, Coutinho a kings ransom and Pique, Griezmann money they're not earning and a whole host of supporting cast who are shite and costing a fortune.

Short terimism as always.

I was half joking about picking at their carcasses, but I had a look at Barca's squad a barring a couple most wouldn't get in to our team.

Messi is an albertross now.

I agree with 3S's about a couple of the above if they could be prepared to flee that particular sinking ship.

5 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

I’ve just randomly remembered that summer JP was adamant FSG would sign Ronaldo, and that he’d choose us over the Mancs. How do you even begin to replace a poster of such bearing?

Has Dr Nowt just dropped a huge hint that Nightcat is making a sensational return to TLW?

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

They're well and truly in the shit and I'm sure giving Aguero 300k a week over two years will work out well for them whilst they keep paying Messi Ethopia's GDP a week, Dembele far too much, Coutinho a kings ransom and Pique, Griezmann money they're not earning and a whole host of supporting cast who are shite and costing a fortune.

Short terimism as always.

I was half joking about picking at their carcasses, but I had a look at Barca's squad a barring a couple most wouldn't get in to our team.

Messi is an albertross now.

I agree with 3S's about a couple of the above if they could be prepared to flee that particular sinking ship.

Just looked; Fati has had like 4 knee surgeries and might be fucked. So, yeah, not him. Dembele is mega injury prone too. 

Pedri is good but he's #lightweight. They actually might have nobody good.