You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GameStop Taking Down A Hedge Fund

Anubis

Can someone take a look at this thread and explain to me how a group of Redditers are taking out a Hedge Fund. I get that they’re doing it, I’m just piss-poor with stock market shit so I’d appreciate an explanation.

Ta.

50 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Can someone take a look at this thread and explain to me how a group of Redditers are taking out a Hedge Fund. I get that they’re doing it, I’m just piss-poor with stock market shit so I’d appreciate an explanation.

Ta.

Give the Big Short a watch if you havent already. It's a hollywoodised version of the shitfuckery these leeches regularly pull.

• Upvote 1

Yes, at some point the music will stop and the ones left holding the bag are going to lose everything.

But in the meantime it's pretty funny. Even though my money is on the billionaires (who are probably now shorting the stock, knowing it has to collapse at some point) ending up with all the money in the end.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, cochyn said:

Surely r/WallStreetBets have to keep up the pump into the medium term for this to work? Or does Melvin's short have an expiry? either way you'd expect $GME's price to normalise over time without continued pumping?

Look up the VW short squeeze of 2008. This has some way to run yet I reckon. Wouldn't be surprised to see it really kick off on Friday. And just a quick aside, the stock price is exploding because it's been shorted to shit, something like 140% of the float according to some graphic I saw floating around, so the 'pump' if that's what you want to call it was actually brought about by the hedge fund twats, the little guy is just refusing to be bullied for once.

image.png.99d0de3859388c8d74e694377fe756ed.png

14 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Yes, at some point the music will stop and the ones left holding the bag are going to lose everything.

But in the meantime it's pretty funny. Even though my money is on the billionaires (who are probably now shorting the stock, knowing it has to collapse at some point) ending up with all the money in the end.

@FrenchEyeGlass the wall street cunt is probably going to be buying out FSG sometime next week at this rate.

7 hours ago, Herp McDerp said:

https://thedeepdive.ca/gamestop-the-gme-short-squeeze-explained/

TL;DR shitcunts getting fucked after decades of fucking over everyone else.

Hundreds if not thousands of people will be making life changing amounts of money out of this and hedge fund twats are losing billions. I'm all for it.

I really seem to have a blind spot when it comes to this sort of stuff. I've read that article twice now and still have no real idea what they're actually doing. I think they're making bets on imaginary shares- is it that simple?

7 hours ago, Herp McDerp said:

https://thedeepdive.ca/gamestop-the-gme-short-squeeze-explained/

TL;DR shitcunts getting fucked after decades of fucking over everyone else.

Hundreds if not thousands of people will be making life changing amounts of money out of this and hedge fund twats are losing billions. I'm all for it.

And hundreds of thousands of ordinary people who aren’t either the hedge fund twats or the Reddit twats will have their pensions and investment accounts they’re relying on for their families futures destroyed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

I really seem to have a blind spot when it comes to this sort of stuff. I've read that article twice now and still have no real idea what they're actually doing. I think they're making bets on imaginary shares- is it that simple?

The tweet thread in the OP and the replies to it made it a lot clearer for a thick cunt like me. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

And hundreds of thousands of ordinary people who aren’t either the hedge fund twats or the Reddit twats will have their pensions and investment accounts they’re relying on for their families futures destroyed.

The ones looking to drive GME into the ground were the hedge fund mafioso. They're the ones that shorted it into oblivion. This isn't a pump and dump, the ones that are being held over the barrel are the shorters (ie the twats), not your ma and pa investors. Anyone that's dabbling with options knows the risk involved (I'd hope so at least) so if grandma yolo'd her pension into GME puts it may be time to start scouting nursing homes and get that power of attorney sorted.

10 minutes ago, Herp McDerp said:

The ones looking to drive GME into the ground were the hedge fund mafioso. They're the ones that shorted it into oblivion. This isn't a pump and dump, the ones that are being held over the barrel are the shorters (ie the twats), not your ma and pa investors. Anyone that's dabbling with options knows the risk involved (I'd hope so at least) so if grandma yolo'd her pension into GME puts it may be time to start scouting nursing homes and get that power of attorney sorted.

I know it’s different in the US and more people there do their own investing than do so here, but don’t “most” people just pay their money into a pension or investment fund and hope the people managing it will take care of it?

whether it’s twats that are getting screwed here or not, don’t those normal folk end up screwed by accident also?

sorry hard working family, I know you were just going about your life and haven’t heard of Reddit, but unfortunately your little Charlie’s college fund is worthless because the little man has won against Wall Street, so be happy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

Shorting is when folks bet that a share will fall in value because in their view it is overpriced. It gets bad press, but there is nothing wrong with it, and is necessary for a healthy, functioning market.

In this case, traders believe that GameStop is overpriced so they are betting against it. And they aren't wrong. The price is being artificially inflated by a reddit campaign.

What surprises me is that shorters normally have measures in place to stop them losing cash if the price rises instead of falls, so I suspect that much of this is bullshit. In fact to me, it seems like a classic pump and dump with more and more suckers being drawn in to buy the shares. It will end as it always does - folks crying into their beer holding a whole bunch of worthless shares while shorters are opening bottles of champagne and snorting lines of coke.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I know it’s different in the US and more people there do their own investing than do so here, but don’t “most” people just pay their money into a pension or investment fund and hope the people managing it will take care of it?

whether it’s twats that are getting screwed here or not, don’t those normal folk end up screwed by accident also?

sorry hard working family, I know you were just going about your life and haven’t heard of Reddit, but unfortunately your little Charlie’s college fund is worthless because the little man has won against Wall Street, so be happy.

But... these shorting actions have been known to undermine and even shutter perfectly viable functioning businesses  - throwing thousands of workers on the scrapheap and miring long-term investors with crippling debts. Either way, the little man loses while your hedge fund director and his ilk are lording it on their 8-figure 'management fee' incomes safely stashed away in Cayman island bank accounts.  

Shorting was banned for a period following the last recession and should be made illegal full stop. 

• Upvote 2