You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which 1 Final Defeat Would You Most Like To Have Been A Win?

Bjornebye

Which 1 Final Defeat Would You Most Like To Have Been A Win?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Which 1 Final Defeat Would You Most Like To Have Been A Win?

• Milan - European Cup - 2007
    • Real Madrid - European Cup - 2018
    • Sevilla - Europa League - 2016
    • Dortmund - Cup Winners Cup - 1966
    • Burnley - FA Cup - 1914
    • Arsenal - FA Cup - 1950
    • Arsenal - FA Cup - 1971
    • United - FA Cup - 1977
    • Wimbledon - FA Cup - 1988
    • United - FA Cup - 1996
    • Chelsea - FA Cup - 2012
    • Forest - League Cup - 1978
    • Arsenal - League Cup - 1987
    • Chelsea - League Cup - 2005
    • City - League Cup - 2016

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/01/21 at 08:17

Man Utd 96 for me. I still feel sick thinking about it. I tend to banish losing finals to the back of my mind and never think of them. Just been watching The Football years 95/96 on Sky and they showed the Cantona winner. Fucking hell. Bastards, players in our side deserved much more than the likes of James, Ruddock and Babb alongside them. Babb wasn't terrible of course but he had an awful spell that coincided with some very important games. 

• Upvote 3

I'd actually agree on that 96 fa Cup one as well. 

I was only 14 at the time and my dad brought me to a pub to watch it, I remember getting the bus home with him and just feeling fucking rotten, no word of a lie, I still can't watch us playing in a pub to this day. 

If my memory serves me right, we did the double over those fucks that season, and in all honesty they where frightened of us. The game itself was fucking shit and they did their usual and scored from a mistake. Cantona, the fucking cunt, 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Man Utd 96 for me. I still feel sick thinking about it. I tend to banish losing finals to the back of my mind and never think of them. Just been watching The Football years 95/96 on Sky and they showed the Cantona winner. Fucking hell. Bastards, players in our side deserved much more than the likes of James, Ruddock and Babb alongside them. Babb wasn't terrible of course but he had an awful spell that coincided with some very important games. 

Obviously I’m a bit older as I went for the 77 loss to the Mancs, I can still remember the pain now!

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Real Madrid. European cup innit.

I think that defeat took us to the next level if I'm honest. That run after the group stages was absolutely magical and we were then the best side on the planet. If Salah doesn't go off injured we win that no doubt about it.  

7 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Real Madrid. European cup innit.

Agree that it has to be a European Cup final simply due to the prestige of winning that trophy. Did you leave out the European Cup final of 1985 on purpose Stig or was it an oversight? Not that we were going to be allowed to win that game anyway.

Of the non-European Cup final games we lost, the 1977 cup final against the Mancs hurts the most. We would have done the treble 22 years before those jammy Manc cunts. We were by far the better team as well.

The 87 League Cup final really pissed me off as well. The first game we lost in a game where Rushie scored and it was a final.

The Wimbledon cup final was another pisser as well denying us a second league and cup double.

3 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Agree that it has to be a European Cup final simply due to the prestige of winning that trophy. Did you leave out the European Cup final of 1985 on purpose Stig or was it an oversight? Not that we were going to be allowed to win that game anyway.

Of the non-European Cup final games we lost, the 1977 cup final against the Mancs hurts the most. We would have done the treble 22 years before those jammy Manc cunts. We were by far the better team as well.

The 87 League Cup final really pissed me off as well. The first game we lost in a game where Rushie scored and it was a final.

The Wimbledon cup final was another pisser as well denying us a second league and cup double.

On purpose mate. The result didn't matter and tbh it would have been worse if we had won it. I doubt many Reds would have basked in any glory over it and anytime you would say for example "We've won 7 European cups" the comeback every-time would be about that one and it would have been too tainted. I'd actually want the club to erase it from our records out of respect. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

On purpose mate. The result didn't matter and tbh it would have been worse if we had won it. I doubt many Reds would have basked in any glory over it and anytime you would say for example "We've won 7 European cups" the comeback every-time would be about that one and it would have been too tainted. I'd actually want the club to erase it from our records out of respect. 

Yeah I agree with you mate, just checking.

• Upvote 1

It was between United 96 and Milan 07. I was at both games and they were defeats that took more than a little while to get over.

Plumped for the FA Cup Final defeat in the end due to the Manc cunt at the Railway Station bar, standing next to me and ordering a ‘double, double’. Tosspot. 

Edit: I was also at the 2012 cup final defeat and remember not giving hardly any fucks. It was the beginning of the end, although it took a few more years, for me as a regular match goer.

• Upvote 1

1996 FA Cup final. The sense of disappointment after that was the most intense I've ever felt while supporting us. We'd got the better of the Mancs in the league and I really believed we were good enough to win the FA Cup that year. The players just never turned up, instead deciding to fully embraced a culture of looking and acting like Aintree dickheads.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, sir roger said:

2007 is the only European Cup defeat I have been at physically and was a bastard of a journey. Nod to johnsusername as I am also a bit miffed we can't ever win the CWC. Emotions wise I cried a river when Charlie George beat us in 1971 as an eleven year old.

Me too in 71, the bastard,mentioned it somewhere else but that picture of Charlie George on his back with Alec Lindsay in the background with socks rolled down still pisses me off. 

Man Utd 77 was a twat. 

It has to be 1996. Both 07 and 18 had victory in close proximity to ease the pain, 96 still gets me when I see that goal. Its one of those when watching replays you still expect someone to stick a head in the way. We didn't turn up either which makes it hard to take.

Special mention to Sevilla, that fucking stung too.

Wimbo and 1996 were both absolutely awful. I think you're right that Madrid spurred us on to the next level. And I had a complete ball in Kiev. Taking my seat at the stadium and looking out at a sea of red interrupted by a thin strip of white was properly emotional. 

Edit: as @paddyberger says above. 

Really tough reading that list. There are about half a dozen I could have gone for.

I nearly voted for the Sevilla UEFA Cup, because the Dortmund comeback and Sturridge's goal both deserved to be crowned with a trophy. Instead, I voted for 1966, because that generation of players deserved a European trophy and it would have completed the set.

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

@stringvest what was the fall out from the Burnley final like? 

Stringy got into a scrap with a bunch of Burnley lads on the charabanc home. They brought their mates into it, so he brought his in and the whole thing escalated and got out of hand until one of them killed Archduke Franz Ferdinand and... well, you know the rest.

• Upvote 1