You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Halsey: Referee standards have dropped to alarming levels  

TLW

A few improvements to the rules this year, like giving a yellow for waving an imaginary card at the ref.

Mac Allister got one today, which was fine. Still Taylor manages to make a farce out of it by avoiding to give the yellow to the Chelsea player for the tackle. Isn’t he mentally capable of keeping track of those two different issues at the same time? 

These clowns can’t expect anyone to take them seriously when they constantly fail to get the simple things right.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

A few improvements to the rules this year, like giving a yellow for waving an imaginary card at the ref.

Mac Allister got one today, which was fine. Still Taylor manages to make a farce out of it by avoiding to give the yellow to the Chelsea player for the tackle. Isn’t he mentally capable of keeping track of those two different issues at the same time? 

These clowns can’t expect anyone to take them seriously when they constantly fail to get the simple things right.

Is waving a imaginary yellow now a yellow and it cancels out anything that went before, because that's what I took from it. 

Personally I think when they start getting decisions right, they might earn some respect. But when you're shit, you're going to get none..

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

Is waving a imaginary yellow now a yellow and it cancels out anything that went before, because that's what I took from it. 

Personally I think when they start getting decisions right, they might earn some respect. But when you're shit, you're going to get none..

I understand waving the imaginary card is now an automatic yellow. Which is good, I hate that shit.

Today it seems it cancelled out the obvious yellow to the original offender. Which I can guarantee wont be the case on a different occasion. They’re just utterly useless.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Don't hold your breath for the next yellow for taking too much time on a throw either.

I don’t think you can quibble that yellow. Trent was taking too long and Taylor warned him.  He ignored the warning and so ended up carded. Just one of several brain-dead moments from him yesterday.

3 hours ago, Grinch said:

McAllister showed how dumb as fuck footballers are when a Chelsea player was booked for it five minutes previously.

He's an Argie mate. He's probably done that every single time he's been brought down since he was about 7. It's as natural to him as putting in a clutch when you break when you first drive an automatic car. There'll be loads of those over the next few weeks because for some players it's just muscle memory. 

• Upvote 1

The imaginary yellow card has always been an automatic booking. As has abusing refs and officials, as has wasting time. The incompetent cunts just never implemented them. They will implement these for about a month.

In 2005, 2011 and 2015 referees were advised to show a card for a player brandishing an imaginary card. So it's not new, it's just yet another public reaffirmation of a regulation that is supposed to have been enforced consistently, but has really been ignored., for most of this century. That's what gets me. It'll probably be enforced this time around for about four months, then, yet again, ignored. 

Same goes for time-wasting - always a sanction there for it, but it's the refs who have been to blame for it getting worse because they ignore it until about the 80th minute. So now they've been told to do what they should have been doing for decades, and, again, they'll probably do it for a few months and then ignore it again.

So it's not new rules that are needed. It's old rules that need to be treated as rules all the fecking time. And, over a long period of time, they never, ever, are.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Denny Crane said:

First home game looks who's on VAR. Thomas Bramall looks like he's never reffed us before,  32 not bald, Sheffield born. 

Klopp should sit in the stands for this one. Seriously. He'll get a better view of what shape we're trying to take, he'll save himself a huge amount of stress and the authorities won't get the chance to ban him, which they're clearly aching to do. It would be a great public comment on this shit of a ref that they won't be able to penalise.

1 hour ago, Denny Crane said:

First home game looks who's on VAR. Thomas Bramall looks like he's never reffed us before,  32 not bald, Sheffield born. 

Do we have ANY games where those two cunts have no involvement? Between them they refereed 25% of our games last season, IIRC, which is totally disproportionate to the number of refs on the PGMOL roster.

2 hours ago, Denny Crane said:

Saturday afternoon and two of the ‘top’ refs are designated fourth official and VAR for Liverpool vs Bournemouth…

Aren’t there other games they could be refereeing?

33 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Saturday afternoon and two of the ‘top’ refs are designated fourth official and VAR for Liverpool vs Bournemouth…

Aren’t there other games they could be refereeing?

Usually means they have a big game on the Sunday.

6 hours ago, gkmacca said:

In 2005, 2011 and 2015 referees were advised to show a card for a player brandishing an imaginary card. So it's not new, it's just yet another public reaffirmation of a regulation that is supposed to have been enforced consistently, but has really been ignored., for most of this century. That's what gets me. It'll probably be enforced this time around for about four months, then, yet again, ignored. 

Same goes for time-wasting - always a sanction there for it, but it's the refs who have been to blame for it getting worse because they ignore it until about the 80th minute. So now they've been told to do what they should have been doing for decades, and, again, they'll probably do it for a few months and then ignore it again.

So it's not new rules that are needed. It's old rules that need to be treated as rules all the fecking time. And, over a long period of time, they never, ever, are.

You almost sound like you don't think referees are very good. Crazy stuff. They're just decent blokes trying to keep the game alive and make a difference. 

7 hours ago, gkmacca said:

They are planning to enforce the six second rule for goalkeepers in the 2036/37 season. 

The only way to stop goalkeepers timewasting is to send some of them off when they do it, even when it's still in the first half. Some keepers at Anfield start wasting time from about ten minutes into the game. The fans see it, the players see it, but the refs ignore it until it's happened about thirty more times and there's only ten minutes to go. Then they'll either get a warning or even, daringly, a yellow card. The keeper will protest, smirk, and then start wasting time all over again, and the ref will ignore it again. 

So they can keep rebooting the existing laws as much as they like, it ain't going to achieve anything until they actually enforce them, and consistently. And when it comes to time-wasting, refs are quite clearly too scared to penalise keepers, unless thetre's barely any time left, because they fear they'll be blamed for 'ruining the game'. 

I don't blame the ref for booking Trent for delaying taking a throw-in, because Trent tends to get paralysed with indecision taking them at the best of times, but if they're going to penalise those instances - and we all know throw-ins can get delayed because players are constantly moving and being marked - then they simply cannot ignore keepers. If Newcastle's keeper (along with most of their outfield players) doesn't get several bookings within the first ten games this season, then, yet again, these 'stricter' rules are a sham.

I coach a kids football team and one of the local senior refs gets all the players and coaches together before kick off and explains to all now he's going to officiate the game. 

He very clearly states that any time wasting from goal kicks, throw ins, substitutes etc, there will be one warning to hurry up and then a yellow if it persists regardless if it's the first or last minutes of the game. He is good on his word also.

Why they cannot do this consistently in top flight football I don't know. I reckon most fans would be on board with it.

• Upvote 1