You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

28 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I'm dead serious - this current years team was built for success over the next two seasons and VvD and Thiago getting crocked has fucked the plan up massively. We may still be able to overcome it but not both in the league and Europe this season. We would have been strong favorites in Europe and the league without that.

Do you think Salah will be here at the start of the 2022 season? I honestly doubt it. At that point VvD is 32.

Van Dijk could well be the best CB in the world at 32. By some distance.

4 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I know but it's either buy somebody or use two centre backs that are stop gaps.

Well the fella you can buy in January is probably a stopgap right? It's not like we are going to go wave 60 or 70 mil at one of the top teams in Europe to prise away a world class CB in the next two weeks.

To me a player like say Schurrs is a stopgap. No guarantee he will cut it over the long haul, certainly no guarantee he would be better than a fit Gomez or Matip (stop sniggering), much less Fabinho. Which he will need to be 4 months from now to have value to us.

Better than Phillips or Rhys now - probably, but a world class talent? 

We have a nice little pattern going of paying top money for established top quality in our last purchases, and it has worked everytime bar Keita. If we were to continue that pattern we would be talking about someone like Alaba.

6 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

For me Ox, Keita and Matip need to go. Shaqiri as well but that's seems to be what the club wants. 

I'd probably add Milner

It is the same conversation every window about the fringe players - we over value them. You have to have a buyer before you can sell. Honestly, who would buy Matip right now and what would you get?

Milner?? Really any of those would have to be cut rate deals. My guess on real market values if we had to sell:

Keita - 30 m

Ox - 15 m

Shaq - 12m

Matip - ??

Milner - probably a free to Leeds

We have to take risks now. As @TheHowieLama said, we're now built to win now and buying Thiago solidified that. We can't tap out on this season after doing that. We're not at the stage where we can be patient anymore.

If there's a top centre back we like, we need to go out and pay the fee this January. Doesn't matter if it's a van Dijk esque massive fee.

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

He is the best CB in the world now so I agree, he could be. But he won't be for much longer than that so two years from now we need to be eyeing up the next best. Thats how you stay on top.

Agree with your point, and I’ve been saying for well over a year that we should being in a young CB already good enough to compete with Matip and Gomez, and with the potential to be world class. If this CB, or these cause ideally we’ll bring in two over the next 12-18 months, eventually take Van Dijks place them fine. If not, fine as well, cause I reckon Van Dijk can stay in the team until he’s 35 at least. So directly replacing him is too early to think about imo.

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

50m banked in transfer fees and a half a million a week of freed up wages has to surely be better than the current situation with those players....gives us decent scope to go out and address the urgent need at centrwe half and then work from there in summer.

Yea but the market doesn't work like that - its not a yard sale. Deals take months not weeks. TBH we will be stuck with a couple guys we don't want even after the summer window. We may have an unflushable who we have til the end of a contract.

It is the same conversation every window about the fringe players - we over value them. You have to have a buyer before you can sell. Honestly, who would buy Matip right now and what would you get?

Milner?? Really any of those would have to be cut rate deals. My guess on real market values if we had to sell:

Keita - 30 m

Ox - 15 m

Shaq - 12m

Matip - ??

Milner - probably a free to Leeds

Not saying in January but before next season most of them should be gone. 

You could sell Keita, Ox, Shaqiri bank whatever fees and saved wages and buy one player who is actually fit and your better off than we are now. 

As others have said this squad is in a win now for the next 2-3 seasons and either needs revamp bit by bit now or it'll be a massive rebuild with owners not likely to dump a load of money to do it quickly like the oil clubs can 

3 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Agree with your point, and I’ve been saying for well over a year that we should being in a young CB already good enough to compete with Matip and Gomez, and with the potential to be world class. If this CB, or these cause ideally we’ll bring in two over the next 12-18 months, eventually take Van Dijks place them fine. If not, fine as well, cause I reckon Van Dijk can stay in the team until he’s 35 at least. So directly replacing him is too early to think about imo.

I am saying there is no reason he has to be young/potential - he could be 26 and already playing at the top of the game. Actually he probably should be. Gomez is the kid.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Yea but the market doesn't work like that - its not a yard sale. Deals take months not weeks. TBH we will be stuck with a couple guys we don't want even after the summer window. We may have an unflushable who we have til the end of a contract.

Of course, but you'd like to think we could shift likes of Keita, Matip and Shaqiri over next two windows and there will be takers for Oxlade, West Ham or Fulham or someone like that would be all over him.

Getting in the two centre halves we need - 1 now and 1 in summer should be attainable.

So between now and next summer you shift half a million pounds a week of dead woods wages, bring in 50/60m in fees and refresh/upgrade.

We don't need to sell Chamberlain. He has the versatility to be valuable, despite his injury prone-ness. Keita is the one who needs to absolutely go. He's an absolute anchor now. Shaqiri and Origi as well. Elliott can take Shaqiri's spot and someone with potential like Balogun can replace Origi and we can get younger. Matip is a difficult discussion to have. His contract may make him immovable.

19 minutes ago, an tha said:

Of course, but you'd like to think we could shift likes of Keita, Matip and Shaqiri over next two windows and there will be takers for Oxlade, West Ham or Fulham or someone like that would be all over him.

Getting in the two centre halves we need - 1 now and 1 in summer should be attainable.

So between now and next summer you shift half a million pounds a week of dead woods wages, bring in 50/60m in fees and refresh/upgrade.

Yea, in theory that is what you would like.

60 mil is one top player. And 150-175 a week is his wage.

I think FSG has gotten a strange rap on here due to some fallacy of moneyball and some of their learning curve pre Klopp.

Look at the pattern of the top signings the last 5 years.

Mane - top scorer in his team, playing in top half of the table and Europe.  Not cheap 24 years old

Gini - top scorer in his team , not cheap but goo deal cuz of relegation  26 years old

Salah - hottest player in Italy, playing in Europe not cheap 25 years old

VvD - most expensive defender at the time  26 years old

Fabinho - playing for a good side in Europe not cheap  26 years old

Keita - one of hottest property in Germany - not cheap  24 years old

Alisson - best keeper in the CL at the time, not cheap 26 years old

Thiago - one of the best midfielders in the world, not cheap 29 years old

Even throw in Jota - not cheap, proven quality 23 years old

Apologies if I got some wrong or missed some off the top of my head.

10 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I don't get the hard on for Shaqiri, he's been quality when on the pitch, doesn't pick up massive wages and I don't see who we replace him with that will be better, reasonably cheap and content on the bench. 

For me it's only that Klopp seemingly has no intention of playing him. So he might as well go.

I agree with you, he looks decent when he gets the rare opportunity to play. 

We need to buy a CB, N.Phillips and R.Williams are simply too slow to have a future here. It was actually painful to watch Wiliams today, it looked like he was running in glue.

This new player should be ready for the game against the mancs. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I don't get the hard on for Shaqiri, he's been quality when on the pitch, doesn't pick up massive wages and I don't see who we replace him with that will be better, reasonably cheap and content on the bench. 

Generally agree but the fact is his injury record is atrocious and it seems clear Klopp does not trust him tactically.

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Shaqiri is in the way of Elliott and doesn't play enough to justify that. He'd also get us around 20m.

I think someone would buy him but that seems high to me - he didn't even go for that when he was supposed to have world class potential did he? Played about 10 games in the last 18 months and scored once? I would take half of that tomorrow for him.

• Upvote 1

I think someone would buy him but that seems high to me - he didn't even go for that when he was supposed to have world class potential did he? Played about 10 games in the last 18 months and scored once? I would take half of that tomorrow for him.

Remember reading we pulled the plug at the last minute for £30m from Monaco the other summer and he wasn’t best pleased 

1 minute ago, Red74 said:

Remember reading we pulled the plug at the last minute for £30m from Monaco the other summer and he wasn’t best pleased 

Would have had to have been summer before last - after his first season. He was pretty useful that year. And 27.

Thought he was going to be a major player for us after a whirly bike gola in the pre season then fucking the Mnacs at theirs. Downhill since then unfortunately.

8 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Would have had to have been summer before last - after his first season. He was pretty useful that year. And 27.

Thought he was going to be a major player for us after a whirly bike gola in the pre season then fucking the Mnacs at theirs. Downhill since then unfortunately.

Very good player but another we never get to see because of another unknown injury. We’d be light years ahead of everyone in this league and Europe if we could just keep them all fit. Apart from Thiago, where any of the other signings under Klopp as injury prone as they are here. 

Just remembered Ox being more famous for being injured for the arse than anything he done on the pitch. 

This seems to be an Achilles heel for us 

19 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Very good player but another we never get to see because of another unknown injury. We’d be light years ahead of everyone in this league and Europe if we could just keep them all fit. Apart from Thiago, where any of the other signings under Klopp as injury prone as they are here. 

Just remembered Ox being more famous for being injured for the arse than anything he done on the pitch. 

This seems to be an Achilles heel for us 

Yea - certainly Ox had previous. I know folks on here were concerned about Thiago's history but certainly this latest is an exception.

I do remember Klopp mentioning Matip was fairly reliable in Germany - maybe just getting older??

Re: Matip - I do remember some cunt taking a run at him at the final whistle and breaking his collarbone. CL game I think. Cheap shot.