You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football - 2020/21

WhiskeyJar

2 minutes ago, torahboy said:

If I had that degree of confidence in such an eventuality I would bet all my money and all my worldy goods on it.

Before we played the Mancs couple weeks back I tweeted Willy Hill and asked what price they’d give me on City winning by +10pts.They came back with 9/4 which I thought was shite considering they were 4/5 just to win it at the time. I’d just been refunded 5k from last years holiday and was gonna put it all on. Why the fuck didn’t I just put the 5k on them to win it @ 4/5. Alright talking about it but doing it? Proper shithouse me. 

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Well, my point is, they were poor last season, as we are this season. They've now rebounded to a minor extent and will likely finish on 85-90 points this season. We could also easily do the same next season.

And my point is that we had them on the run and failed to build on it, they are always able to build, we had the chance to do so, we didn’t take it cos of the the shite that own us, it took us fucking years to get back up there and now we’re pissing it away cos the tightwads won’t spend. That’s my point.

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

City are probably performing about as well as they did last season....the problem is we have fallen off a cliff.

As already said if we were even at 80% of where we were we'd be leading this league now and be the team to catch.

If VAR didn't screw us over at every given opportunity, we'd be top. 

11 minutes ago, an tha said:

City are probably performing about as well as they did last season....the problem is we have fallen off a cliff.

As already said if we were even at 80% of where we were we'd be leading this league now and be the team to catch.

The key to beating City is to get on top and break their spirit, as we did last season. They’re the ultimate flat-track bully and will always have the best goal difference, so if you let them get ahead of you in the second half of the season, barring a scenario where they have no games in hand and you can go above them by beating them, finishing higher is almost impossible. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if City end up with 16 or 17 wins from the remaining fixtures. 

I think finishing 12-15 points behind them this season would be a real achievement and likely sees us in second, although one that isn’t likely if FSG refuse to spend adequately over the next couple of days. 

3 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

And my point is that we had them on the run and failed to build on it, they are always able to build, we had the chance to do so, we didn’t take it cos of the the shite that own us, it took us fucking years to get back up there and now we’re pissing it away cos the tightwads won’t spend. That’s my point.

We didn't have them on the run, though, they'll always be near the top. Surely you get that. 

Sheffield United are piss poor. Beating united was a complete one off. The defending on city's goal was utter shite verging on comedy for so called professional players. They're fucking toothless in attack even with Brewster and I cannot see them scoring even in the next game never mind this one.

There, now if that reverse pyschology doesnt work, nothing will.

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

Agree with the first paragraph more or less.

The second imo is wide off the mark, and I honestly think it’s somewhat underestimating the massive achievement we’ve made over the last two seasons. Yes, we have some brilliant players. But we absolutely dont have a squad of total superiority like for example Real Madrid used to have some years back.

At this level you have to be at your best to win any game. You have to approach it with the right attitude, and you need to stand up to the physical side of it. As Klopp said in his early days here, when teams regularly were bullying us, you have to earn the right to play. Also you have to continuously change and adapt your attacking play as the weaker team spend large resources on finding the right tactics to stop you. And not least you dont always  luck on your side, you’ll fall behind in games where you dont deserve to and you’ll get refereeing decisions against you.

To do what we did the last two seasons you need to be at 100% every game. Including a mental strength and confidence that is very difficult to maintain over time. How many tight matches did we manage to win over those two seasons? We were far from total superiority in all games, even if we were in a different league on the overall points tally.

80% of that level would get you nowhere, only a marginal drop in quality and mentality will cause you to loose many games. 

It’s a lot tighter and tougher than many seem to believe.

11 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I get that we finished a gazillion points ahead of them last season and 12 spendthrift months later we will be lucky to qualify for the CL. Surely you get that.

I don't know why you're getting so pissy. It's not like we spent nothing this summer. We've had a poor season due to a multiple of factors. They've had an ok season, relative to their last couple. We were great last year, they weren't. They've been decent this season, we haven't. I'm not saying our decline is normal, but it's not terminal either. 

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

I don't know why you're getting so pissy. It's not like we spent nothing this summer. We've had a poor season due to a multiple of factors. They've had an ok season, relative to their last couple. We were great last year, they weren't. They've been decent this season, we haven't. I'm not saying our decline is normal, but it's not terminal either.

I’m not getting pissy really, my point is I reckon we have shite owners but I accept that that’s probably a broader argument.

4 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Agree with the first paragraph more or less.

The second imo is wide off the mark, and I honestly think it’s somewhat underestimating the massive achievement we’ve made over the last two seasons. Yes, we have some brilliant players. But we absolutely dont have a squad of total superiority like for example Real Madrid used to have some years back.

At this level you have to be at your best to win any game. You have to approach it with the right attitude, and you need to stand up to the physical side of it. As Klopp said in his early days here, when teams regularly were bullying us, you have to earn the right to play. Also you have to continuously change and adapt your attacking play as the weaker team spend large resources on finding the right tactics to stop you. And not least you dont always  luck on your side, you’ll fall behind in games where you dont deserve to and you’ll get refereeing decisions against you.

To do what we did the last two seasons you need to be at 100% every game. Including a mental strength and confidence that is very difficult to maintain over time. How many tight matches did we manage to win over those two seasons? We were far from total superiority in all games, even if we were in a different league on the overall points tally.

80% of that level would get you nowhere, only a marginal drop in quality and mentality will cause you to loose many games. 

It’s a lot tighter and tougher than many seem to believe.

It is tight and the margins are fine - and we did of course win a lot of games that were decided by fine, fine margins....this season a large number of those fine margin games have ended with us failing to nick them/having to settle for a draw, and yeah as you say it can be the tiniest thing that causes that.

I suppose what i meant was us being at 80% pts wise, which would probably not be a title winning total in a mormal year anyway, but would be close this year.

As it stands we are currently tracking to get 70 pts...that is some drop off...even taking into consideration the fine margins/how on it need to be each week.

City IMO will get low 80's (closer to a normal title challenge total but on the low side) and we really should have been more than capable of staying with that.

I dont think this city side is a patch on the one that won the league for 2 years. People would be up in arms if we were playing like them right now without the injuries we currently have.

Its the 76th minute and they are ahead purely down to abject defending by Sheffield United. They may score more in the last 15minutes or so but they are toiling against the worst team in the league.

5 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I dont think this city side is a patch on the one that won the league for 2 years. People would be up in arms if we were playing like them right now without the injuries we currently have.

Its the 76th minute and they are ahead purely down to abject defending by Sheffield United. They may score more in the last 15minutes or so but they are toiling against the worst team in the league.

That's the sign of champions though, scraping wins irregardless of how shit they play.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

They've noticeably changed their style. Less attacking than they've been.

47 minutes ago, Juniper said:

For anyone interested Copa Libertadores final is on BBC via the red button tonight at 8pm

Santos vs Palmeiras, all Brazilian final.

Looking forward to seeing Marinho and Soteldo play for santos again. 

If ever there was a poster game for having crowds and showing how shit it is without them then this would be right up there.

I can well imagine enjoying as they played in front of 90,000 rabid fans, in an empty stadium - no.