You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

9 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Judge it how you like. My remark was just sarcasm because somebody mentioned being outraged for somebody else. It rang a bell,that's all. You'd have to be a special kind of cunt to not have sympathy for all those families and people wiped out by the Nazis though. Personally,I've seen too many harrowing documentaries about WW2 to find any humour in the holocaust and murdering of all the others during that time.

I don’t believe anyone on here disagrees with that. 

21 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Judge it how you like. My remark was just sarcasm because somebody mentioned being outraged for somebody else. It rang a bell,that's all. You'd have to be a special kind of cunt to not have sympathy for all those families and people wiped out by the Nazis though. Personally,I've seen too many harrowing documentaries about WW2 to find any humour in the holocaust and murdering of all the others during that time.

Everyone has sympathy for them. Well anyone with a brain.  I watched that Rinder programme this morning and it was heartbreaking.  The bit about 1800 people being machine gunned and some of them being still alive as the were buried was shocking.  An old woman told the story, she was a kid when she witnessed it.  

It is a bit pearl clutchy though. Deliberately ignoring the context of the joke and what he says before and after.   

• Upvote 1

I see that poncy flute bag Jimmy Carr is in trouble for some "joke" he made about the holocaust. 

I personally didn't see it, but at the start of the show on Netflix he apparently gave a warning to people who are easily offended. 

Is it me or have people forgotten that they are not being forced to watch anything they don't want to. If you're offended by what the guy is saying, just turn it off ffs. 

Back in the 80's we went on a family holiday to butlins in Southport. 

One night, Bernard manning was doing a gig in one of the halls, when my uncle went to pay in he asked who was on, the usher kindly says, "Bernard manning". My late uncle Johnny replies. "fucked if im paying a tenner in to be called a thick Irish paddy" and that was that, no moaning, no crying like a little cry arse, just don't watch it. 

People being offended by people they have been warned may offend them is aiken to falling on a freshly washed floor when there was slip signs all over the place. Twats 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, chrisbonnie said:

I see that poncy flute bag Jimmy Carr is in trouble for some "joke" he made about the holocaust. 

I personally didn't see it, but at the start of the show on Netflix he apparently gave a warning to people who are easily offended. 

Is it me or have people forgotten that they are not being forced to watch anything they don't want to. If you're offended by what the guy is saying, just turn it off ffs. 

Back in the 80's we went on a family holiday to butlins in Southport. 

One night, Bernard manning was doing a gig in one of the halls, when my uncle went to pay in he asked who was on, the usher kindly says, "Bernard manning". My late uncle Johnny replies. "fucked if im paying a tenner in to be called a thick Irish paddy" and that was that, no moaning, no crying like a little cry arse, just don't watch it. 

People being offended by people they have been warned may offend them is aiken to falling on a freshly washed floor when there was slip signs all over the place. Twats 

News to me. 

• Upvote 1

On 22/12/2021 at 11:20, Paulie Dangerously said:

I don't read or buy David Walliams books because I think he's a bully prick who punches down on society from his ivory tower. I wouldn't encourage anyone to buy or read his shite either. However, if someone does then I also would not be jumping down their throats and accusing them of supporting or doing what Walliams does. 

That, to me, is the difference between rationally minded people and cancel cranks. It's having the cognitive ability to separate the person doing the act from the person talking about the act. 

Turdsette used to buy his books and I’d read them with her. I saw someone make this point (I think it was probably you) and when I reflected on it, I agreed it didn’t fit with the kind of parent I want to be so I stopped her buying them and explained to her why. You’ve basically enforced the cancellation of Walliams in my house, so you are a cancel crank by default. 

Now she buys David Baddiel books. As a rationally minded, die hard Corbyn supporter I should probably intervene again. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Turdsette used to buy his books and I’d read them with her. I saw someone make this point (I think it was probably you) and when I reflected on it, I agreed it didn’t fit with the kind of parent I want to be so I stopped her buying them and explained to her why. You’ve basically enforced the cancellation of Walliams in my house, so you are a cancel crank by default. 

Now she buys David Baddiel books. As a rationally minded, die hard Corbyn supporter I should probably intervene again. 

Snowflake

6 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Watched the Jimmy Carr show last night. Fucking funny like. Considering he went after fat people, little people, cancer, rapists and rape victims and child abuse, among others, I can't see why the uproar over his gypsies comments. 

He even precedes the section by talking about how he is going to tell some, "career lenders." If in cynical I'd say there has been some PR pushing of this, as I didn't even know he had a stand up out on Netflix until I heard the uproar. He starts the show by talking about the difference between making a joke about rape, and doing a rape. 

People who watch edgy comedies like him do so knowing they're going to be challenged and hear some bad taste jokes. Likewise those who watch the recordings.  

Gervais makes practically the same joke in politics. 

10 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

So what are the problems with his books?

21 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Watched the Jimmy Carr show last night. Fucking funny like. Considering he went after fat people, little people, cancer, rapists and rape victims and child abuse, among others, I can't see why the uproar over his gypsies comments. 

You can't see why the uproar over a joke, the point of which is "it's good that they were murdered". (Subtext: "you're all thinks it, but I'm brave and edgy enough to say it")?

It's categorically different from bad taste or edgy humour.

21 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Pffft! 

Getting outraged on behalf of people who aren't you! Worra Snowflake!

20 hours ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

I don’t believe anyone on here disagrees with that. 

And yet you keep having a pop at me for giving a shit about about other people getting systematically abused and oppressed, because it doesn't directly affect me.

How are you not seeing the contradiction?

20 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Everyone has sympathy for them. Well anyone with a brain.  I watched that Rinder programme this morning and it was heartbreaking.  The bit about 1800 people being machine gunned and some of them being still alive as the were buried was shocking.  An old woman told the story, she was a kid when she witnessed it.  

It is a bit pearl clutchy though. Deliberately ignoring the context of the joke and what he says before and after.   

Tell me the context that makes it a joke, as opposed to hate speech.

5 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

So what are the problems with his books?

Paulie D mentions punching down. A lot of his descriptions of other characters in his books are not the kind of things I want Turdsette to think are cool to say. The fat kid, the smelly kid, the spotty kid, stuff like that. I’ve probably put that tamely as well. Walliams is more graphic with his bullying language. 

I find the comparison with Walliams interesting, as personally that's my problem with Carr, too – it always feels to me like he's punching down. Do I think he is genuinely glad that the Nazis killed gypsies? No, of course not. But I find it easy to believe he could be genuinely prejudiced against them.

I think there was a wave of comedy in the 2000s (and if you look at the forum from around this time, you'll see it in a lot of the language many of us used too) where a blanket defence of irony was used as a way of justifying saying pretty distasteful stuff. I look back at a lot of it now and cringe, as deep down I knew what I was saying – and I also cringe at people like Carr still peddling this kind of witless shit. 

In short, no problem with edgy humour, I just think Jimmy Carr is a twat.

• Upvote 1