You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

11 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

The true test of how outraged you all are would be for you to search ‘pikey’ on this forum and then take whatever action you feel necessary against the people who’ve used it.   But none of you will because it’ll either be you, or your mates that have done it.  

It’s mad when you look. Funny what mes

appear on numerous occasions. 

I would like to apologise when I referenced Tony Pulis. It was bang out of order for me associate the Travelling Community with him. 

2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yorkshire?

Nor …. Well 

Just now, Skidfingers McGonical said:

It’s mad when you look. Funny what mes

appear on numerous occasions. 

I would like to apologise when I referenced Tony Pulis. It was bang out of order for me associate the Travelling Community with him. 

Are you still pissed ? 

19 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

The true test of how outraged you all are would be for you to search ‘pikey’ on this forum and then take whatever action you feel necessary against the people who’ve used it.   But none of you will because it’ll either be you, or your mates that have done it.  

I looked, it wasn't me.

I wonder how many of the people who smugly tell others not to use terms like ‘pikey’ and are clutching their pearls over what Jimmy Carr said would be amongst the first to mobilise a petition and go into full panic mode if gypsies pitched up in the near vicinity. I imagine the hypocrisy levels would be off the scales.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Geoff Woade said:

I wonder how many of the people who smugly tell others not to use terms like ‘pikey’ and are clutching their pearls over what Jimmy Carr said would be amongst the first to mobilise a petition and go into full panic mode if gypsies pitched up in the near vicinity. I imagine the hypocrisy levels would be off the scales.

Depends. Some women in the traveller community are fucking gorgeous. Until you see her shit and not wipe but I suppose it’s a new century so let’s leave that in the past 

50 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Out of interest, what action have you taken against the people who've used it? Like Col, for example, who seems to have used it more than anybody else on the forum. Has he been subject to your outrage over this? Has Brownie? Has Dave? I only ask as I'm left wondering if this is something you actually care about or if it's just virtue signalling and finger pointing.

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

You’re asking me to define ‘joke’?  You define hate speech first, then tell me what the consequences of this hate speech will be. 

*sigh*

I'm not asking you to define a joke. You (and others) keep saying that there's a context that excludes that line from being defined as hate speech.  I'm asking you to summarise what that context is.  

Here's a definition of hate speech that might help.

Screenshot_2022-02-07-14-22-08-47_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

2 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Some of the bits from Little Britain were pretty grim by today’s standards, even though it was relatively recently. I’m thinking of the sketch in particular where Walliams would play some granny, eating a cake or drinking a brew or whatever, then someone would say it was made by that Chinese/Indian/insert other ethnic character, and then the Walliams character would projectile vomit over everyone. This was prime time BBC1. 

I'd call that a joke about racism rather than a racist joke.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Remember the "Gypos" thread?

Cancel culture gone mad when that got deleted. Obviously.

7 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I'd call that a joke about racism rather than a racist joke.

Yeah, agreed. Although I'm sure there's a fuck load of comedy that was once deemed acceptable and would make you cringe now, that particular sketch always struck me as the comedians demonstrating how ridiculous racism is by showing how arbitrary it is. My main concern is with those who watched it and laughed with the thought of 'yeah, that would be gross it if a darky made it', or something. I highly doubt that was the intended laugh the writers were going for though.

21 minutes ago, Geoff Woade said:

Damn those imaginary hypocrites!

• Upvote 1

I think I’ve said it before on here but I’m sure we are all guilty of hypocrisy somewhere along the line. Part of a progressive society is to at least take on board when somethings pointed out that’s not right. It’s easy go into attack mode as a form of defence (I’m as bad as anyone) instead of acknowledging “yeah agreed or yeah I shouldn’t have said that” there is no right or wrong answer to so much. I love Billy Connolly for example but fuck me he’s said some stuff that if say Jim Davidson had said I’d be all aboard the “cancel the racist twat” train. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

What do you think the consequences should be for Carr and Netflix over this?

I'd like to see the show pulled (in its current form, at least).  I don't think Jimmy Carr is a hundred carrot cunt, so I'd like to think that he'd be able to learn from it, apologise and carry on with what he's done for the last 20 years or so, telling jokes that are likely to offend some people but don't cross the line into hate speech.

24 minutes ago, SasaS said:

What do you think the consequences should be for Carr and Netflix over this?

17 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I'd like to see the show pulled (in its current form, at least).  I don't think Jimmy Carr is a hundred carrot cunt, so I'd like to think that he'd be able to learn from it, apologise and carry on with what he's done for the last 20 years or so, telling jokes that are likely to offend some people but don't cross the line into hate speech.

I'm not sure what I've missed regarding Carr (as I don't watch him very often), but what has he done that crosses the line into hate speech? 

22 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Yeah. Just imagine me stepping on an upturned plug or something. That'll learn me!

I prefer to imagine you helping burglars to carry your stuff out of your house whilst you commiserate with them over the awful childhoods they must have had and awarding yourself ‘world's bestest person’ points for doing so. Whilst also politely enquiring if they are from any other type of marginalised background or community so you can award yourself double.