You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

19 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I'm shocked he's not impressed, aren't you? Turning the polls from a 23 point Tory lead when he took over into a 15 point lead - a swing of 38 points - in 26 months is 'underwhelming'. I'm pretty sure there's no amount of lead that he would find acceptable. 

It’s like he’s got an agenda. 

I can’t put my finger on it just yet, but it’ll all come out at some point. 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I'm shocked he's not impressed, aren't you? Turning the polls from a 23 point Tory lead when he took over into a 15 point lead - a swing of 38 points - in 26 months is 'underwhelming'. I'm pretty sure there's no amount of lead that he would find acceptable. 

He's a miserable sod but he's been wrong about everything for the past few years so it's understandable.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The fella with the bucket (or is it a bin these days?) on his head should be able to beat these Tory cunts 

Agreed. Unfortunately it’s not really about how good the Tories are. They were abysmal in the last four elections, but still beat Labour. The country vote for them, like almost all the fucking time. They’ll get a bounce for a while after Truss wins too. Loads of twats saying how ‘she’s a safe pair of hands’. Burn them all. 

I genuinely can’t understand how they get more than 5% of the vote. I mean I technically understand but I just don’t fucking get it. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Agreed. Unfortunately it’s not really about how good the Tories are. They were abysmal in the last four elections, but still beat Labour. The country vote for them, like almost all the fucking time. They’ll get a bounce for a while after Truss wins too. Loads of twats saying how ‘she’s a safe pair of hands’. Burn them all. 

I genuinely can’t understand how they get more than 5% of the vote. I mean I technically understand but I just don’t fucking get it. 

Cunts. 

3 hours ago, George Costanza said:

Polls between elections mean absolutely fuck all and always favour those not in power.  Come election time the cunt tories & thick brexit working class cunts will shit their kecks & continue to vote for those despicable, horrible cunts who all deserve a fucking knife to the windpipe

I share your concern. The only fucking thing that matters is POWER.

And the tories piss all over the Labour Party when it comes to the disciplined messaging and behaviour to ensure they continue to remain in power. 

Election manifestos and promises, the financial/emotional/mental/physical health of the nation simply doesn’t count. 

The only thing that matters is them remaining in power. 

Until all wings/factions of the Labour Party can comprehend the reality of the situation and adopt a similar discipline we’ll all be sat around in a circle arguing about who had the best ideas at 6th form while the disenfranchised in society are actually dying as a result of tory power. 

16 hours ago, Strontium said:

There definitely were, I used to pass a few on my way into work on Old Hall Street c2002.

I'd only ever see one or two over the whole of town and you'd recognise the same few faces.

I noticed a massive increase from about 2012 onwards and its gotten worse and worse since.

You could see it was getting grim as you noticed younger and younger ones out on the streets and even teenage girls. 

The Tories won't recover from the year ahead. Inflation is here to stay, even 13% is looking on the low side. Interest rates are going to rise and will hit house prices. There's always a tipping point in the cycle of governments, Black Wednesday for Major, the global financial crisis for Labour and now runaway inflation for the Tories. Let's not forget there's even more Brexit pain to come and Truss is going to be shown up for the vacuous idiot she is.

It really won't matter what the press prints, a lot of people who thought they were financially okay are about to find out they aren't.

10 minutes ago, skend04 said:

The Tories won't recover from the year ahead. Inflation is here to stay, even 13% is looking on the low side. Interest rates are going to rise and will hit house prices. There's always a tipping point in the cycle of governments, Black Wednesday for Major, the global financial crisis for Labour and now runaway inflation for the Tories. Let's not forget there's even more Brexit pain to come and Truss is going to be shown up for the vacuous idiot she is.

It really won't matter what the press prints, a lot of people who thought they were financially okay are about to find out they aren't.

Yep - and although I agree with lifey's general point about disciplined messaging, I don't think it's something you can possibly say is happening right now. They're a total shit show, and I think they've pretty much given up on winning the next election.

9 minutes ago, sh#t waffle said:

Yep - and although I agree with lifey's general point about disciplined messaging, I don't think it's something you can possibly say is happening right now. They're a total shit show, and I think they've pretty much given up on winning the next election.

Yeah, they're all over the place. There are as many factions in the Tory party as there are in Labour. Only a third of their MPs voted for Truss and her incompetence is going show that up pretty quickly.

4 hours ago, sh#t waffle said:

Johnson will be leader again in the next 3 years.

I'm glad it's starting to look like he might actually go away, but I think our national nightmare is not over. It will be much worse the second time.

9 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Until all wings/factions of the Labour Party can comprehend the reality of the situation and adopt a similar discipline we’ll all be sat around in a circle arguing about who had the best ideas at 6th form while the disenfranchised in society are actually dying as a result of tory power. 

I think this is way overexaggerated, not least by the usual suspects on here. I imagine any anti-Labour tropes are way imbedded in the vast majority of potential Tory voters and recently topped up by the Corbyn lies from the press and his own 'colleagues'.

There are probably 15 actual left wing mps left and the great majority are ageing and hardly the type to be overtly critical of the new leader and some are being purged by our hero and his acolytes as we speak.

If you are suggesting the exceedingly few left wing journalists are expected to keep silent then that's not a good optic is it ?

Truss will most likely have more actual internal opposition than Starmer, but she won't be going out of her way to alienate the majority of the people who do the leg work in an election.

1 minute ago, sir roger said:

I think this is way overexaggerated, not least by the usual suspects on here. I imagine any anti-Labour tropes are way imbedded in the vast majority of potential Tory voters and recently topped up by the Corbyn lies from the press and his own 'colleagues'.

There are probably 15 actual left wing mps left and the great majority are ageing and hardly the type to be overtly critical of the new leader and some are being purged by our hero and his acolytes as we speak.

If you are suggesting the exceedingly few left wing journalists are expected to keep silent then that's not a good optic is it ?

Truss will most likely have more actual internal opposition than Starmer, but she won't be going out of her way to alienate the majority of the people who do the leg work in an election.

They don't need anyone out canvassing for them when the vast majority of the media do it for them.

4 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I think it is over-exaggerated, but I think it's that way because we don't have an Owen Jones thread on here.

If people had somewhere to vent about how they dislike Jones's tweets(which is indirectly what this thread is now about), we could have a productive discussion about how the labour leader should be challenging a criminal government and whether you're going to back him or go with a different left option.

24 minutes ago, sir roger said:

What bit is over exaggerated? 

That Labour won’t get into power unless they show a united front? 

That the tories are far more disciplined when it comes to winning elections? 

That the most vulnerable in society are actually dying BECAUSE of tory government policies. 

That Labour can achieve fuck all in opposition? 

15 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I guess we will see if Labour will win without a United front or not because there’s no uniting Labour members. PLP, maybe. 

The tories aren’t united.

Not in the slightest, they’re either fucking each other behind their wives/husbands backs, hating each other or both. 

But you have to respect the cunts discipline when it comes to winning elections. 

10 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

The tories aren’t united.

Not in the slightest, they’re either fucking each other behind their wives/husbands backs, hating each other or both. 

But you have to respect the cunts discipline when it comes to winning elections. 

Absolutely, I’ve been saying it for a long time; the left need to learn from the right when it comes to winning elections. Being in power means you get at least some of what you want to become how the country is run, being out of power means you have none of what you want. So, ya know, vote Green I guess. 

5 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Absolutely, I’ve been saying it for a long time; the left need to learn from the right when it comes to winning elections. Being in power means you get at least some of what you want to become how the country is run, being out of power means you have none of what you want. So, ya know, vote Green I guess. 

Its why I want Campbell back. Even if only behind the scenes. 

15 hours ago, TheBitch said:

It’s like he’s got an agenda. 

I can’t put my finger on it just yet, but it’ll all come out at some point. 

No agenda from me. I've zero shares in water, energy or weapons manufacturers. I'm also not afraid of paying my fair share of tax.

I've always been vocally opposed to privatisation and the shit that comes with it. I believe now is a once in a generation opportunity to right the wrongs of the Thatcher years by taking back assets which are ours. 

I have always believed in wealth distribution and a fairer tax system where the top twenty per cent pay more for the common good. 

I've always believed in standing shoulder to shoulder with workers fighting for decent pay and conditions on picket lines. 

I've always believed in proper funding for our health service and public services.

If believing in the above is now thought of as some sort of agenda then so be it, I make no apologies. 

I live in a country that's the only country in the UK that consistently votes in and backs progressive center left Labour governments. Politicians that feel like they are on your side. I'm quite proud of that. 

43 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

No agenda from me. I've zero shares in water, energy or weapons manufacturers. I'm also not afraid of paying my fair share of tax.

I've always been vocally opposed to privatisation and the shit that comes with it. I believe now is a once in a generation opportunity to right the wrongs of the Thatcher years by taking back assets which are ours. 

I have always believed in wealth distribution and a fairer tax system where the top twenty per cent pay more for the common good. 

I've always believed in standing shoulder to shoulder with workers fighting for decent pay and conditions on picket lines. 

I've always believed in proper funding for our health service and public services.

If believing in the above is now thought of as some sort of agenda then so be it, I make no apologies. 

I live in a country that's the only country in the UK that consistently votes in and backs progressive center left Labour governments. Politicians that feel like they are on your side. I'm quite proud of that. 

We all want that, but the argument is that the country will not suddenly lurch to the left no matter how much people will benefit from these policies. As with the Labour win in 97, they need to be seen as a safe pair of hands to get the vote from wavering Tory supporters, as well as being endorsed by right wing media owners.

52 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

We all want that, but the argument is that the country will not suddenly lurch to the left no matter how much people will benefit from these policies. As with the Labour win in 97, they need to be seen as a safe pair of hands to get the vote from wavering Tory supporters, as well as being endorsed by right wing media owners.

A recent poll suggests most tory voters voters strangely support renationalisation.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/aug/16/two-thirds-of-tory-voters-support-temporary-nationalisation-of-energy-firms-poll

On some issues you have to put a flag in the ground and state your beliefs. You only need to glance at Scotlands nationalised water service and contrast it to Englands to see where the country has gone wrong.

As for Starmer and the Labour front benches bizarre behaviour over striking workers then polls also show they've misjudged the public mood, but more importantly it's the wrong stance to take.

Sturgeon has today put her weight behind the  renationalisation of energy imo Starmer should do the same.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-62623751.amp