You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

Question time last night. Two Tories on the panel, if you include Bruce, one a former party chairman who is reasonably eloquent. Labour represented by a less than hard hitting ex coronation street actress.  Who is not even an MP. Not fair an her as an individual but she is not up to it.

Starmer should be putting front bench powerful shadow ministers on prime time BBC shows like this and wiping the floor with these people. Open goals missed again and again. And I have time for KS.

To be fair, they had Wes Streeting on last week who, despite being a massive fucking count, did quite well. 

The main issues with the programme now are that any economist they have on is always right wing. Fuck knows how many appearances that collection of dimwitted Chicago schoolers The Tax Payers Alliance have had on. It's always someone who looks about 22 and has almost zero knowledge of economics. 

That and Fiona Bruce who is even worse than Dimbleby. Just as much of a Tory, but loves the sound of her own voice even more than he did. 

21 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

Starmer should be putting front bench powerful shadow ministers on prime time BBC shows like this and wiping the floor with these people. Open goals missed again and again. And I have time for KS.

Out of interest, how much better do you think the Labour Party can do at the moment if they weren’t missing these open goals again and again? They’re currently 30 points ahead in the polls, which would equate to about 10 MPs for the Tories. Now, I think that’ll change come election time, quite dramatically actually, but as of right now what would have been achieved by Labour from putting a front bencher on instead of former MP and current Labour Mayor (first female metro-mayor, btw) that isn’t already being achieved?

From my perspective, the strategy seems like it’s working. I personally wouldn’t put any prominent Labour front-bencher on BBCQT (unless there was a current event which required it) for fear of them saying something ridiculous. Mistakes need to be avoided more than already unpopular Tories need to be slain on QT. Save it for when policy has been made, manifestos have been agreed, and there’s an election on the horizon. Otherwise it’s just lost in the breeze. To my knowledge, no opposition has ever put front benchers on every week. Put the big hitters on when it really counts. After all, somebody might notice that Rachel Reeves exists. 

• Upvote 1

The problem with Labour putting up its 'heavyweights' is the party have no longer got any. 

Starmer's answer to an easy question on the NHS last week was some bizzare nonsense about self tests for internal bleeding. 

The shadow chancellor Rachel Reeves got herself tied in knots when being educated on breakfast tv by Sussana Reid over NHS/Ambulance staff and their affiliation to the Labour Party.

The less said about the shadow justice secretary (Steve Reed?) the better. The mans a clown.

The foreign secretary David Lammy made a fool of himself the other day when he thought NATO stood for "North Atlantic Trade Alliance" 

Just compere Lammy with some of the real heavyweight Labour foreign secretarys from the past.

The policy of Labour saying little and sit back and watch as the Tories self emplode is imo a wise one. Probably best to lock the shadow cabinet in a darkened room, mouths gagged with satsumas rammed in their mouths till after the election if the truth be told.

18 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Oh, were people having a sensible discussion and attention wasn’t on you for a moment? Quick, try to get attention by detailing it.

"Detailing it" "Sensible discussion" you? You're only ever one short step from getting your imaginary knife out. Or flouncing. 

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

To be fair, they had Wes Streeting on last week who, despite being a massive fucking count, did quite well. 

The main issues with the programme now are that any economist they have on is always right wing. Fuck knows how many appearances that collection of dimwitted Chicago schoolers The Tax Payers Alliance have had on. It's always someone who looks about 22 and has almost zero knowledge of economics. 

That and Fiona Bruce who is even worse than Dimbleby. Just as much of a Tory, but loves the sound of her own voice even more than he did. 

Vampires > Streeting 

Just now, Section_31 said:

Interesting how Lammy is getting grief for a slip of the tongue but if anyone gave Abbott grief they'd get shot down, she was Corbyn's shadow home secretary. 

Not sure mate, plenty rightly hammered Abbott over stuff including wearing odd shoes. I still can’t believe she did that. An absolute sitter for the Tories right before voting. Utter liability. 

She also rightly got a lot of defence after the unnecessary and targeted hammering for having a can of mojito on the train. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

It's a fair point Tommy but as ive said above I don't think Labour has any heavyweights. And it's not just them it's right across the board, Tory and Libs also. Poor generation of politicians these.

Sorry Jarz got mixed up, that post was in answer to Tommy on the current derth of politicians.

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Not sure mate, plenty rightly hammered Abbott over stuff including wearing odd shoes. I still can’t believe she did that. An absolute sitter for the Tories right before voting. Utter liability. 

She also rightly got a lot of defence after the unnecessary and targeted hammering for having a can of mojito on the train. 

The Corbyn 'faction' or whatever you want to call them would never countenance her getting any grief though. Fair enough, but now Lammy is getting similar grief because he's not in that group. 

Say, I've said it loads of times on here - I've got absolutely no problem with people hating Starmer or any of his troops, it's the double standards I could never be doing with. Giving him shit for being 'part of the establishment' even though he went to state school, unlike Corbyn, Milne, Landsman etc. 

You get to the stage sometimes, certainly the case with Gnasher and a lot of Starmer critics, where they moan so much about every little thing that the genuine points they DO have are lost. 

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The Corbyn 'faction' or whatever you want to call them would never countenance her getting any grief though. Fair enough, but now Lammy is getting similar grief because he's not in that group. 

Say, I've said it loads of times on here - I've got absolutely no problem with people hating Starmer or any of his troops, it's the double standards I could never be doing with. Giving him shit for being 'part of the establishment' even though he went to state school, unlike Corbyn, Milne, Landsman etc. 

You get to the stage sometimes, certainly the case with Gnasher and a lot of Starmer critics, where they moan so much about every little thing that the genuine points they DO have are lost. 

Yeah there are extremes but on both sides. Some ‘Labour’ supporters just absolutely love sticking the boot into Corbyn and their perceived Corbyn ‘cult’ as much as they can whilst sitting back and championing cunts like Streeting and reeves. 

Agreed the hard-core Corbyn supporters are as bad.

I know if I had to pick a side which one I’d land on though.  

4 minutes ago, sir roger said:

' Got shot down ? 'She had about a hundred times more criticism for relatively minor things than Lammy will ever see in his lifetime whatever he does or says. If you are saying some people thought this was unfair, well you have a point.

It's exactly the same. Someone is putting him in a lineup with other politicians he's not seen as fit to lace the boots of because he made a gaff. The insinuation was always the same with Abbott because she made gaffs she was depicted as some kind of cretin, which she wasn't IMO. Difference being, Corbyn loyalists would have an issue with that (righly) and say it was because she was a woman or black or both, but not for Lammy it would seem. 

Gnasher's bemoaning the lack of heavyweights in the shadow cabinet (he's clearly never seen Cooper vs Braverman, which is like watching a dolphin torturing a puffer fish), and Ed Miliband is no dummy. 

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

It's exactly the same. Someone is putting him in a lineup with other politicians he's not seen as fit to lace the boots of because he made a gaff. The insinuation was always the same with Abbott because she made gaffs she was depicted as some kind of cretin, which she wasn't IMO. Difference being, Corbyn loyalists would have an issue with that (righly) and say it was because she was a woman or black or both, but not for Lammy it would seem. 

Gnasher's bemoaning the lack of heavyweights in the shadow cabinet (he's clearly never seen Cooper vs Braverman, which is like watching a dolphin torturing a puffer fish), and Ed Miliband is no dummy. 

Cooper vs Braverman (and Patel) is box office entertainment. I’d fucking love to see her against the PM in PMQs. She’s far from perfect but she’s absolutely fantastic in debate. 

1 minute ago, sir roger said:

I think Abbott and Lammy are both relatively poor political performers, and certainly in the company quoted, but if you think the criticism both have received for equivalent mistakes is similar in tone or volume then I just disagree.

I think he means criticism from the left/Labour. Not in general. 

18 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Actually I didn't think Diane Abbott should have been made shadow home secretary, it was a bad move by Corbyn. She did take a lot of uncalled for criticism (that stuff on the train etc) but imo she wasn't up to the job and had a habit of putting her foot in her mouth.

Just compere her and Lammy to previous Labour home secretarys Iisted in post above and both are not up to scratch. But as I've said it's not just Labour its across the board. Most are fucking rubbish.

• Upvote 1