You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

14 minutes ago, INTORRESTING said:

I keep on seeing people linking Milner with Leeds.  Do Leeds actually want Milner?

I think he's said a couple of times in the past, although not very recently that if Leeds got promoted to the Premier League he would go back there and finish his career there. 

I've also seen articles about him joining the coaching staff at Liverpool the last couple of months as well. 

12 minutes ago, Pidge said:

£70m? And he's just changed agent and immediately stories break about us and Utd being in for him all of a sudden?

Smelling something a bit off here...

Those italian sites are unreliable but a lot were saying he was virtually a Napoli player the other day.

16 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Could see Milner going to Leeds if this happens. Frees up a chunk of wages for a player over 30 and not seeing that many starts. Love Milner but it makes sense. Leaves us a bit vulnerable at fullback but to be honest I'll be happy with Milner not playing there, he's does a job but it really screws the balance of the team up. 

I’d have said this was nailed on a season or so ago but I’m not so sure now. I’d like to think the club are speaking to him already about a future role.

We all know at least part of his heart is with Leeds but maybe less so now, given his time working with Klopp and playing for Liverpool. 

Not sure they could afford his wages anyway. Obviously it would be a pay cut but it might have to be a seriously significant one to fit in with their wage structure.

My Leeds fan friends keep telling me their club will get investment when they’re promoted but, with the squad/team surgery they’re going to need to survive in the Premier League, investing in James Milner might be beyond their means and not a priority anyway. A nice to have, rather than a need to have. 

I hope he stays at Liverpool for many years to come. 

surely to arseholes we've got to consider going for Haaland at some point in the near future? fucking hell that's a no brainer. we're top dogs and that would be a statement that we're going to continue to shit on both the Mancs from a great height. 

plenty of shite could be got rid of to finance that deal. get Coutinho back while we are it and we're on for some more serious silverware. there is nothing like pressing home the advantage with much needed top quality. it's good psychology.

1 hour ago, YorkshireRed said:

My Leeds fan friends keep telling me their club will get investment when they’re promoted but...

....they are talking shite. 

I’m sure, like me, you’ve heard that for over 15 years now. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

....they are talking shite. 

I’m sure, like me, you’ve heard that for over 15 years now. 

I know it, you know it, they believe otherwise. Let them have their moment in the sun and let’s see how far this team they have now gets them next season. 

8 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

I know it, you know it, they believe otherwise. Let them have their moment in the sun and let’s see how far this team they have now gets them next season. 

Leeds will win the “Breath of fresh air award” next season.

They’ll play some good stuff (and they genuinely will) but it won’t be enough.

IMO, Leeds are the best coached side outside the Premiership. Bielsa has done a great job, but that squad won’t score enough goals. It’s as simple as that. The support they get will always be enough for a few extra points each season & if they have a major investment then maybe but without it, I can’t see it.

Although Leeds have obviously has a better Championship campaign, I see major parallels with Leeds & Villa.

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

IMO, Leeds are the best coached side outside the Premiership. Bielsa has done a great job, but that squad won’t score enough goals. It’s as simple as that. The support they get will always be enough for a few extra points each season & if they have a major investment then maybe but without it, I can’t see it.

Although Leeds have obviously has a better Championship campaign, I see major parallels with Leeds & Villa.

Aren't there more parallels with Norwich rather than Villa? Leeds have a legitimate style of football, it will just depend how well they can adapt. Villa just spent money without a plan.

But Leeds seem to be better than Norwich. 

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

They’re going to need investment to have any chance.

Currently they’ve a dodgy keeper or a 21 year old between the sticks.

Ben White will cost a lot just to keep what they’ve already got. Chances are he’ll be elsewhere.

They're already committed to £13m (I think it’s this much) for Costa who’s not good enough for the Prem and I think they have to buy that forward they got on loan in Jan who’s hardly played.

Basically it’s costing them circa £45/50m just to keep what they’ve already got. 

22 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Aren't there more parallels with Norwich rather than Villa? Leeds have a legitimate style of football, it will just depend how well they can adapt. Villa just spent money without a plan.

But Leeds seem to be better than Norwich. 

Norwich could score goals, at least early on. 

Bamford is awful. He’s awful in the Championship. If he scores >5, I’ll be amazed. 

16 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

They're already committed to £13m (I think it’s this much) for Costa who’s not good enough for the Prem and I think they have to buy that forward they got on loan in Jan who’s hardly played.

That lad from Leipzig who did his hamstring soon after joining on loan.

Apparently they want to send him back to

RBL but are contractually obliged to buying him & are contesting it. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, A_S said:

If Milner wants to play his last season or two with Leeds, he should go with the club's blessing. He's earnt it. 

There was talk about him going there because his contract was about to expire and Leeds were looking like they'll come up, he's said himself that he'd like to finish his career there so it seemed like all the moving parts were falling into place. 

But Milner has recently signed a new contract keeping him here til 2022. Was that just to ensure a transfer fee from Leeds or does he actually want to stay here for the next couple of years and then see what happens after?

For me, I reckon it's the latter. 

11 hours ago, Aventus said:

There was talk about him going there because his contract was about to expire and Leeds were looking like they'll come up, he's said himself that he'd like to finish his career there so it seemed like all the moving parts were falling into place. 

But Milner has recently signed a new contract keeping him here til 2022. Was that just to ensure a transfer fee from Leeds or does he actually want to stay here for the next couple of years and then see what happens after?

For me, I reckon it's the latter. 

For all we know the 2 year deal had a clause that allows him to go to Leeds. If he goes though, with lallana going too, that's a couple of senior voices in the dressing room gone. As we saw at city with kompany, that can't be underestimated.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, The Gaul said:

For all we know the 2 year deal had a clause that allows him to go to Leeds. If he goes though, with lallana going too, that's a couple of senior voices in the dressing room gone. As we saw at city with kompany, that can't be underestimated.

Yeah, I’d agree with that. He’d be a huge loss.