You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Seventies

12 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

I was born in 1974, and I can relate to that. Throw in a bit of mustard yellow too and you're bang on.

And orange.

Ace colours. My dad wasn’t one for change, so we had 70s decor in ours throughout the eighties. In fact, my dad didn’t get rid of his flock wallpaper until the turn of the millennium.

23B83489-BE83-471B-AB61-A980849863B0.jpeg

2 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Eric's. 

The bands that played there and the whole scene, in its heyday it must have been some place.

I never got the chance to go which is a real shame.

Went there a couple of times and It is probably one of this things that it is better as a brag than the actual experience. Saw Elvis Costello and Wire and both were good concerts , but there was a quite cliquey , too cool for school , poser feel with a lot of the regulars.

2 hours ago, Total Longo said:

More of an 80's fan myself, as that was my era. My vague memories of the 70's was that it was always dark and everything was brown/beige. 

I was born in 1963. The 70's were pretty glum, my Dad was forever getting called out on strike and they lasted for weeks, even months on end.

There was a lot of strike action back then which affected a lot of people both directly and indirectly so times were hard and there wasn't much money, so you're right about it being dark.

The 80's, early 80's in particular were also a bit on the bleak side for those with responsibilities, but I was of the age where I didn't need to think much about that, so late 80 until mid 83, using your analogy, there were more colours. I had a great time.

I met my Mrs in 83, so things changed a bit and then when my lad was born in 85 things changed again. 

I got made redundant in late 84, Mrs was already pregnant, and I never worked again until 88, but not through lack of trying.

It was the same for most people my age in Thatcher's Britain. There was an upper class, middle class, a working class, but she created a fourth class, the non working class and you weren't alone being one of those.

Back in those days, if you had a family and were working and on low pay, you could apply for Family Income Supplement, (FIS). Forty years on, low paid jobs are still prevalent, but now, we have zero hour contracts and people still claim for top up benefits. 

Progress eh?.

I wonder if today's 18 - 20 somethings will look back on the last few years through rose tinted glasses.

I very much doubt it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Went there a couple of times and It is probably one of this things that it is better as a brag than the actual experience. Saw Elvis Costello and Wire and both were good concerts , but there was a quite cliquey , too cool for school , poser feel with a lot of the regulars.

I've heard about the cliquey element to the place and it being a bit of a dump, but I'd still love to have seen it.

38 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I was born in 1963. The 70's were pretty glum, my Dad was forever getting called out on strike and they lasted for weeks, even months on end.

There was a lot of strike action back then which affected a lot of people both directly and indirectly so times were hard and there wasn't much money, so you're right about it being dark.

The 80's, early 80's in particular were also a bit on the bleak side for those with responsibilities, but I was of the age where I didn't need to think much about that, so late 80 until mid 83, using your analogy, there were more colours. I had a great time.

I met my Mrs in 83, so things changed a bit and then when my lad was born in 85 things changed again. 

I got made redundant in late 84, Mrs was already pregnant, and I never worked again until 88, but not through lack of trying.

It was the same for most people my age in Thatcher's Britain. There was an upper class, middle class, a working class, but she created a fourth class, the non working class and you weren't alone being one of those.

Back in those days, if you had a family and were working and on low pay, you could apply for Family Income Supplement, (FIS). Forty years on, low paid jobs are still prevalent, but now, we have zero hour contracts and people still claim for top up benefits. 

Progress eh?.

I wonder if today's 18 - 20 somethings will look back on the last few years through rose tinted glasses.

I very much doubt it.

Good post. I was born in 1966 so I went through a lot of the same stuff. The Thatcher years were sould destroying for many,many people so the late 70s and early 80s are a mixed bag for me.

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

The beer was the worst ever.  I think it was called Swan Lager.  Plastic glasses.  But I saw some fantastic gigs in there.  Every week there'd be at least two gigs you'd really want to go to.  A lot of the posers were just knobs though.  Wannabe Pete Burns twats.

56 minutes ago, stringvest said:

The beer was the worst ever.  I think it was called Swan Lager.  Plastic glasses.  But I saw some fantastic gigs in there.  Every week there'd be at least two gigs you'd really want to go to.  A lot of the posers were just knobs though.  Wannabe Pete Burns twats.

Darn sarf we had the pleasure of Watneys Red Barrel, Worthington E and Double Diamond.

Pure dishwater.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

Darn sarf we had the pleasure of Watneys Red Barrel, Worthington E and Double Diamond.

Pure dishwater.

There was a pub in Skem that was a Watney's house back in the 70's, it was called The Tanner. The darts team was called The Red Barrels, so it wasn't just down south.

You could get Worthington E up here as well at one time, piss, but not as bad as Greenalls.

Double Diamond didn't work wonders round here though.

(one for the older posters).

4 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

And orange.

Ace colours. My dad wasn’t one for change, so we had 70s decor in ours throughout the eighties. In fact, my dad didn’t get rid of his flock wallpaper until the turn of the millennium.

23B83489-BE83-471B-AB61-A980849863B0.jpeg

My Ma had a carpet in the living room like that which never used to bother me until they went away one week in the early 90's and i had some "mushy tea"...