You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Barcelona (H) Champions League Semi Final 2nd Leg 7/5/19

Bjornebye

8 minutes ago, Jennings said:

I just got back home. Stayed in town last night at the Shankley Hotel. In the bridal suite actually.

There's so much I want to tell you about last night. And the experience of the whole  day - but I don't wanna put it in one monolithic post - it'll be too boring. So I'll post a series of little vignettes. 

Rep tart.

• Upvote 1

There were a few Barca fans in town in celebratory mood. They weren't being dickheads. Just a bit jovial. We couldn't be arsed with them.  

We went the Red Dog Saloon for a burger. Even in there, there were some Barca fans. Again not being idiots - but we sat away from them. Just cause their moods were a lot happier than ours.

Not that we were miserable. Just a bit sort of quiet/reserved/sombre. I dunno the right word.

We had a burger (really good actually) then went up to Faulkener Street for a quiet coffee. We sat in outside. We hardly talked about the match. We talked about how different it was a year before. How excited we were before playing Roma. We talked about cricket and other stuff...really the topic of the game hardly came up and when it did it was in a reflective what-might-have-been type way.

We headed down to Brew Dog before going back to the hotel to check in and pick up the tickets.

1 minute ago, Jennings said:

There were a few Barca fans in town in celebratory mood. They weren't being dickheads. Just a bit jovial. We couldn't be arsed with them.  

We went the Red Dog Saloon for a burger. Even in there, there were some Barca fans. Again not being idiots - but we sat away from them. Just cause their moods were a lot happier than ours.

Not that we were miserable. Just a bit sort of quiet/reserved/sombre. I dunno the right word.

We had a burger (really good actually) then went up to Faulkener Street for a quiet coffee. We sat in outside. We hardly talked about the match. We talked about how different it was a year before. How excited we were before playing Roma. We talked about cricket and other stuff...really the topic of the game hardly came up and when it did it was in a reflective what-might-have-been type way.

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Jennings said:

Just listened to the Tyler commentary. 

Wow. He really took the wind out of it for the viewers of whichever channel that shite was served up on.

Got a link? I want to feast on his sadness.

2 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Got a link? I want to feast on his sadness.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I promise you will have seen it a million times by the end of the day. I can’t stop watching it.

its one of my all time favourite Liverpool goals. For what it meant, for the sheer balls of it, for the quality, for the knowledge that Trent is only 20 years old and has the vision, guts and skill to do what only Gerrard before him might’ve tried at the most critical time of the most important game yet of the season.

just everything about that goal says everything about the player we have on our hands in Trent Alexander-Arnold.

And Div deserves so much credit for the finish.

what an impact that lad has had when we’ve needed him to this year!

Just seen it.

The fucking audacity of it. My fucking world. Best goal to seal it on.

Already on my 17th viewing.

We checked in. We had the bridal suite. Looked OK. 

Grabbed the tickets then headed off to go to the Liver building where we were going for a pre-match meal and drinks.

We got the hotel lift down from the fourth floor. The lift was packed. Us and some randomers. As we got to the ground floor I said "Oh shit!. I have left my scarf in the room."

I couldn't be arsed to go back for it.

"It's my lucky scarf - I can't be bothered to go back - I don't think even that scarf will help today."

To a man everyone in the lift - even ALL of the randomers said "Go back and get it." one fella added that we need everything we can get.

I went back for the scarf telling  him he owed me a pint if we won 4-0.

We walked down to the river admiring Queen Victoria's cock on the way. 

• Like 1

For me to be here and to sample the atmosphere, I don't think I'll see or hear an atmosphere like this again. The atmosphere was just something that took my breath away.

What happened on Monday [Manchester City beating Leicester] would've been a kick in the teeth for Liverpool, but to put that behind them like this was incredible.

I have never seen anything like this before. I've played at Anfield when there is a superb atmosphere but this is something else, something special. 

I've never seen Anfield like this and the fans were driving their players forward from start to finish. It's just been relentless. It was incredible from all the players. Wow.

Alan Shearer, former England captain on BBC Radio 5 Live