You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Sep 22-28 2018)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg.dda78f7d6c1516c0d7ca6a5022138f66.jpg

Saturday Sep 22:

L 3 Southampton 0 As routine as it gets. We didn’t even play that well in the first half but were still 3-0 up. Shaqiri was influential and I’d like to see more of him playing with the front three rather than instead of one of them. That free-kick was incredible and really deserved to go in, but the next best outcome was Mo getting the rebound so it worked out great.

The front three were all in different positions in the first half and it didn’t look right. Poor little Shaqiri was hooked at half time and the front three slotted back into their usual spots. They didn’t score but they looked to me like they were getting back in the groove a little so hopefully they’ve turned a corner now. With Chelsea and City on the horizon let’s fucking hope so. 

Hey look, Harry Wilson scored for Derby. That’s a bit of a relief as I hadn’t heard his name mentioned all season. I was expecting him to run riot in the Championship this year after what he did at Hull. If he’s going to have any chance of coming back here and making it he needs a big season for Derby so it’s good to see him off an running. I’d love him to make it here, such a classy little player.

Sunday Sep 23:

John Collins gives some insight into Van Dijk’s time at Celtic and how all of the big English clubs could have had him for £12m but wouldn’t pull the trigger.  Arsenal thought he was ‘too nonchalant’, which is funny considering the bunch of dog turds they’ve had playing centre back over the last decade or so. 

Brendan ‘wasn’t sure he was better than what he had’, which is interesting considering he has always claimed that he wanted to sign him TWICE but was over-ruled by ‘the committee’. Someone’s telling porkies here, and I don’t see what Collins has to gain from it (his info came from Gary Mac, who was Brendan’s assistant at the time). Brendan’s such a fucking snake oil salesman isn’t he? If he told me water was wet I’d google it just to be sure.

Speaking of Brendan and Celtic, they’re below Stevie and Rangers. That didn’t take long did it? Firstly let me state that I don’t really give a shit about either team, but I would like to see Stevie do well and upset the status quo up there. So far so good. Only problem is, they both seem to have forgotten about Hearts who are five points clear. It’d be funny as fuck if someone other than Celtic or Rangers were to win it.

Meanwhile, one of Klopp’s former players is urging his old boss to sign another of his former players. Mario Gotze is having a bad time of it at Dortmund and Kevin Grosskreutz thinks Klopp should take him in January. "Maybe it would be good for him (Gotze) to go abroad in the winter to find a bit more peace and bring his career back on track. Klopp knows him quite well, he would be a good fit for Liverpool."  

A good fit? The only thing this little porker would be a good fit for is if Emiliano ‘the Mars Bar kid’ Insua has left a pair of his old shorts at Melwood. Fuck Mario Gotze. He had his chance to come here and he big timed us because we didn’t get in the Champions League.

Also today, Moyes doesn’t think we can win the title. Good. I’d be a lot more concerned if he thought we could, especially since he thought his Everton side were “a centre forward away from competing for the title”. To be fair, if that centre forward was capable of scoring 100 goals a season then he may have been right.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that 'The Week that Was' is only available to TLW website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first, registration is FREE) and can be purchased here.

• dave u pinned this topic

Right. That is potentially a really exciting development. A path through to the first team for another kid in a position where we don’t have quality back up. To maintain that motivation for kids in the academy while challenging at this level and breaking world transfer fee records, takes some doing. Only Ferguson has done that in this country and overseas, the previously brilliant Barca record of youth development appears to have died. 

Repped for calling Barkley a breeze block headed prick.

As for Ramsay, normally I'd have said "fuck that shit", but Klopp knew what he was doing with the Ox who I wasn't sure about either.  If Klopp thinks he can polish Ramsay up then I'd be all for it, if Lallana ends up going we'll need someone to keep the medical staff working full time anyway seeing as Sturridge is spitefully staying match fit.  I'm surprised there's no mention of Sturridge who scored two cracking goals against his old club and has yet to break down.  Fingers crossed he can stay fit because that's what he can bring to the table.  Him doing that at one end and Alisson doing his thing at the other end was the difference between a valuable point and an undeserved defeat.

• dave u unpinned this topic