You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City - the new bitters?

Naz17

12 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

Ah yes, the internet. My mistake for using the word integrity which allowed people ignore my main point and drag up something from over 20 years ago. Ok, I’ll try and be clearer on what I meant. 

Pep has been very clear that if there is wrong doing he’ll walk.  He knows that even now with over 110 charges of cheating that this mud will stick and everything he’s won is forever massively tainted. Even if City can grease their way out of this again like they did when they were thrown out of Europe a few years back, it doesn’t matter - they are forever now the cheats. That’s twice they’ve been charged. The are OJ Simpson. Even if they get off, they’re done as a serious entity. Pep knows all that and has massive decisions to make. I’ll bet he’s seriously pissed off he signed that new contract. He’ll be on the phone to PSG as we speak. 

I'm not sure the point you are trying to make. Are you saying you believe guardiola has integrity? Or he will only prove he has integrity if he fucks them off?

He works for a bunch of crooks and knew what they were when he went there. But he didn't care because financial doping was right up his alley. Of course his behaviour from 20 years ago as a senior pro is relevant. 

12 hours ago, DaveT said:

This will rumble on for ages. But hopefully there will be sufficient of a dark cloud over City through the summer and beyond to deter the likes of Bellingham from wanting to join them and for current players to want to jump ship.

I've seen some bits on the TV and something I read last night suggesting that this could take at least another 2 or 3 years to play out including the appeals process. It's fucking mental. 

4 hours ago, dave u said:

Exactly.  I'm not impartial here as we have suffered more than anyone else (along with United I guess) and I absolutely fucking despise City and want to see them suffer. 

But take that away and nothing changes anyway. If this were happening in another country and had no impact on us whatsoever, and you asked me what should be done about it, I'd be saying the same thing. It's bigger than us and it's bigger than City.

You can't have a competition where all but one participant in obeying the rules because it makes a mockery of that competition.

The biggest thing about this is it can't be fixed. No punishment undoes the damage caused to the integrity of the competition, and even handing out titles to those who deserved them doesn't make it right. It's a start, but you can't recapture the emotion that would have been felt by those who were denied trophies by City and their cheating.

So it can't be fixed, and because of that the only thing left is to ensure the punishment is as strong as it's possible to make it. By that I mean kicking them out of the league (down to League Two at minimum, if not lower) and stripping them of everything they won.  

Anything less than that makes a mockery of the whole thing and will have City thinking "it was worth it". Whatever the punishment, it needs to be so severe that they think "it wasn't worth it" and in doing so you set a precedent to stop anyone pulling this kind of shit. If City get away with it then Newcastle will follow suit, and why shouldn't they?

Dave, you say this like you believe these charges have been levied at city for the integrity of the sport and league. But we all know that's not the case. It's there because the bigger clubs have been putting pressure on from one side and there is impetus behind a regulator of the game, which is the last thing the PL want. So ultimately there's been enough pressure from within and outside to create the need to be seen to do something. And that something will be enough to keep FSG and the glazers happy, keep Tracy crouch and the goverentment off their backs and providing enough column inches to the press to keep them content, all while trying to create minimal damage to the PL product. If these charges get brushed away and a fine chucked at them, people inside this country mightn't like the outcome, but I bet outside this country it'll barely register. The outcome you mention would not satisfy the other 19 clubs, because their brand will be damaged. They won't take away that aguero moment. 

3 hours ago, gkmacca said:

I doubt the PL is even that sure what it is they're really against here.

I think that is absolutely spot on. 

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

It's a civil matter not criminal so yes, you're right no one will spend time behind bars!

Not if this fully plays out..if they've falsified accounts, it's certainly a criminal matter and a reasonably serious one. But of course that won't happen..

22 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

I urge everyone to listen the legal guy in the podcast even the 1st 1/2 hour 45mins.

The PL are accusing the directors of City of essentially fraud and false accounting over 9 years. Not a mistake but deliberately lying hiding money and not one but for nearly a decade. This is not filling in form wrong I can't see how this is not bordering on criminality.

The PL are basing everything they have on this. everything, lose and they are history it is that serious.

Yes, but the basis of all of this is the football leaks evidence isn't it? The same as uefa. And city's defence is the evidence was illegally gained, so carries no evidential value. And that's the winner for both sides. PL claim "we tried", city don't get punished severely and most charges are thrown out on evidence not being admissable. 

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

Yes, but the basis of all of this is the football leaks evidence isn't it? The same as uefa. And city's defence is the evidence was illegally gained, so carries no evidential value. And that's the winner for both sides. PL claim "we tried", city don't get punished severely and most charges are thrown out on evidence not being admissable. 

Not sure on the evidence disclosure rules in a case like this but it is known these emails exist. The defendant will have a legal requirement to produce them if requested.

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Dave, you say this like you believe these charges have been levied at city for the integrity of the sport and league. But we all know that's not the case. It's there because the bigger clubs have been putting pressure on from one side and there is impetus behind a regulator of the game, which is the last thing the PL want. So ultimately there's been enough pressure from within and outside to create the need to be seen to do something. And that something will be enough to keep FSG and the glazers happy, keep Tracy crouch and the goverentment off their backs and providing enough column inches to the press to keep them content, all while trying to create minimal damage to the PL product. If these charges get brushed away and a fine chucked at them, people inside this country mightn't like the outcome, but I bet outside this country it'll barely register. The outcome you mention would not satisfy the other 19 clubs, because their brand will be damaged. They won't take away that aguero moment. 

The other clubs don't give a fuck about the Aguero moment though, and as for the brand being damaged, I doubt they see it that way either. People won't stop watching if City get kicked out. The PL will continue as it is. In fact, I reckon if you asked those clubs now at least 75% of them would say "throw them out".

I think it's far more damaging and embarrassing to the product if they don't absolutely hammer City for everything they can, especially as Newcastle will be looking at how this develops as it will shape their future strategy too.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Butch said:

No point in getting excited about this as nothing is going to happen to city. They've got the best lawyers money can buy and the fa just like fifa will give in to the red tape bullshit they will present. 

This is the most likely ending IMO.

They won't come out of this "not guilty" but they won't come out of it "guilty" either.

Abu Dhabi's lawyers will for me find enough technicalities to bring the whole thing to a grinding halt that will eventually lead to the independent commission deciding that the case can't be ruled upon.

I'd be stunned it it ended any other way....and i'd be beyond stunned if there was any sort of penalty handed out let alone all the talk of titles being stripped/expulsion from PL etc etc.

Don't get me wrong I would very much like to be wrong - I fucking despise that skid mark on the bills of the game club, they are fucking vermin, a cancer on the game....but I just can't see it ending any other way than them effectively getting away with it.

I feel the web they have spun will be too difficult to untangle - it is all clearly a very well put together tangle all strands leading back to their owners, but every strand is reinforced with absolute and total belief from them that what they present to the world is legit and they are 100% cast iron in their view untouchable - there is no way of breaking through the walls they have built around their deceit.

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

I honestly believe you have this completely wrong. Around the time of the CAS verdict the FA quietly dropped the charges against City. The PL didn't and have kept on investigating over 4 years without as much as a tiny leak, that is a serious, well run investigation. There is nothing to be gained by playing to the gallery here, that came and went a couple of years ago. The government regulator will come regardless and will be toothless. Even if they have decent powers the clubs won't mind, once they know the conditions they will just get on with it.

I do agree integrity has nothing to do with it, its money money and more money. City make existing more expensive, players cost more, wages cost more, managers cost more, they take the highest proportion of the prize company, they monopolise a CL spot every year. City fucking off back to league 2 suits everyone, Sky wouldn't care, BT wouldn't care, UEFA wouldn't care, the government wouldn't care, fans of other teams wouldn't care, the average Joe on the ground in Abu Dhabi wouldn't care, even the ciny that owns them wouldn't care after about 20 minutes.