You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

IBS

Spy Bee

I have ulcerative colitis but I was initially diagnosed with IBS. Stress and anxiety are a major part of flare ups.

I guess my meds for UC keep IBS at bay, or at least I don't consider IBS anymore.

My mates used to say it was like going on holidays with your Grandad when going away with me. I was forever in the bogs.

Drinking, disco biscuits and powder made it massively worse.

I was the opposite. Diagnosed with non Ulcerative Colitis(just inflammation) and meds helped me for many years and then the inflammation disappeared but the symptoms still persist. Imodium and Codeine cocktail every day yet I still often shit like a horse and cramp up and bloat regularly.

I was the opposite. Diagnosed with non Ulcerative Colitis(just inflammation) and meds helped me for many years and then the inflammation disappeared but the symptoms still persist. Imodium and Codeine cocktail every day yet I still often shit like a horse and cramp up and bloat regularly.

I was reading recently, and I think I may have watched a Ted Talk about it, but they think there has been a lot of misdiagnosis of these kind of conditions.

One lady professor has coined the phrase "leaky bowel syndrome" which she thinks is basically a big imbalance in bacteria in the stomach (it's more complicated than that, but that's the rot cause). I think in your circumstances it's definitely worth trying VSL#3. I know I sound like I am on commission, but it is just good shit that can potentially make every single day of your life better!

Who else has had a shit somewhere completely inappropriate?

Followed through during footy practice at school once but played on 'til the end.  Always play to the whistle.  I was a tricky winger - liked a drop of the shoulder, a double step-over and shitting my pants.   

• Upvote 1

I was reading recently, and I think I may have watched a Ted Talk about it, but they think there has been a lot of misdiagnosis of these kind of conditions.

One lady professor has coined the phrase "leaky bowel syndrome" which she thinks is basically a big imbalance in bacteria in the stomach (it's more complicated than that, but that's the rot cause). I think in your circumstances it's definitely worth trying VSL#3. I know I sound like I am on commission, but it is just good shit that can potentially make every single day of your life better!

Is it a one off treatment or do you have to take it basically forever?

Followed through during footy practice at school once but played on 'til the end.  Always play to the whistle.  I was a tricky winger - liked a drop of the shoulder, a double step-over and shitting my pants.   

Did your coach tell you that you needed to work on the timing of your runs?

• Upvote 1

I was out with people from work years ago and needed a shit but the toilets in the pub had no loo roll in any of the traps.

Rather than do the obvious thing and ask a member of staff to refill, work was only a couple of minutes walk away so I thought I would get back there quickly, have a shit in peace and make my merry way back to the pub.

Well, I didn't quite make it to the bog before the shit started to come out. I managed to get up the first flight of stairs and enough came out to make a complete mess in my boxers. I managed to finish the rest in the toilet, threw the dirty underwear in the bin and went home as I had cream jeans on at the time and the stain had worked its way through.

My girlfriend was out and she found it hilarious that a grown man had shit himself.

• Upvote 1

My best mate has ulcerative colitis, I'm not really sure what day to day issues he has with it.  However one day I knocked on his door to hear him shout through the downstairs toilet window, "I can't come to the door, I'm dripping!"

Weirdest place I've had a shit?  On the roof of Jaguar Land Rover at 3am.  Think I've mentioned it in another thread.  I was working for a contractor and was on 24 hour flexi time.  Woke up at 1am with a bit of a tummy tickle, went for a shit to remove the pain but then couldn't get back to sleep.  Decided to go into work to get some hours under my belt and finish earlier one day, so drove to JLR in Speke.  The office was on the roof by the paint shop and was a 15 minute walk from the car park.  I could feel a pain coming on but thought I'd make it to the office in plenty of time and drop one in the toilets.  Walking up the external steps the pain was intensifying and the walk turned into a skip and then quickly into a gallop.  Got about 20 yards away from the door and knew I was struggling, actually shouting out "I'm going to shit myself!" in my confusion and flustered state.  Dropped my trousers against a wall and shit on the floor.  Jesus, it stunk.  Being the man that I am I decided to clean it up by boiling the kettle and trying to break it down with the hot water and hoping it would trickle away into the drain.  Got bored after the third kettle and left it.

• Upvote 1

A couple of years back, I spent 3 weeks in India. For the first 2 and a half weeks, everything went well. No Delhi Belly or anything of the sort. In the last few days though, I succumbed to it and spent a morning puking up. The other end was still working normally. Then on Christmas Day, the day before we were flying back home, we travelled back to Ahmedabad from Surat on a sleeper coach. I had no idea it was a sleeper coach because I wasn't the one who'd booked it. Anyway, about two-thirds of the way through the trip, the fan belt on the engine apparently went. The driver spent 20-odd minutes trying to repair it as he had no spare, before getting going again. 10 minutes later and we broke down again. This time, he was well and truly fucked and had to call somebody. We were still sat on the coach and wondering what would happen - whether some rescue service would come out to fit a new fan belt, or if another coach would be sent out.

Eventually, we found out that another coach on the same route would stop and pick us up so we got our bags and stood by the highway waiting for this coach. Of course, this was when my stomach decided it wasn't all that comfortable any more. I waited for maybe 10 minutes (it felt like longer) before the need to go finally overtook me. I had my rucksack with me so I asked the others to watch my bags while I took off for a much-needed dump.

This section of highway had a grass incline either side of it, surrounded by woodland or (more likely) jungle, and it was dark. It was also away from any light source on the highway so I was going in blind. I was so desperate, I basically legged it down to the bottom and out of sight in amongst the trees. There were some largish stones on the ground so I quickly shaped them into a bog to sit on, before dropping my (white) shorts and boxers, and simply letting go. There could have been snakes, spiders, lizards, tigers and who knows what else nearby but I couldn't care less. I just needed to empty my bowels. I was glad that I had a pack of pocket tissues and a can of anti-perspirant in my rucksack because at least I wouldn't have to lash my boxers, and I could mask the stench a bit. I was also glad my makeshift crapper was at least 6 inches off the ground so there was no risk of overflow.

With my Bear Grylls/Ray Mears moment over, I made my way back to the highway and our new coach showed up about 5 minutes later. Thankfully I didn't need another shit, although this coach was a proper luxury one with not one but two toilets. I lashed my boxers when we got back to the house in Ahmedabad. My stomach was unsettled but still in control right up until we landed back at Heathrow. Having claimed our baggage, I needed a shit again. Let me tell you, there is nothing like a freshly cleaned airport throne to bring your system right back up to standard. That clearout had me right as rain again.

Worse ones I’ve had is when it flows out of your arse like a tap has been turned on and requires no pressure on your part whatsoever.

Many times I’ve just got my arse over the rim of the pan when the avalanche began. I shudder to think what would have happened had I not made it.

I remember one time laughing uncontrollably at the shear lunacy and magnitude of the movement despite the discomfort it defied science. How can there be anything left only for it to go off again.

• Upvote 2

Tried it mate,no good. I've tried everything other than the stuff that actually works but is not available in this country due to them fucking up the trials and it being too expensive.

I shit myself on a night out last week funnily enough. No sign of any problem all day, solid shits and such. Anyway, in a pub in Balham, sheltering from the snow. Farted innocently enough and turned into wet shart.

It's the cold mate.  I get the shits if I'm out in cold weather too long

The medication I take plays havoc with my guts. My stomach rumbles when I’m hungry, rumbles when I’m full and rumbles all the time in between. I have six shits a day, minimum.

As a consequence of that my bum hole is like a war zone. A really itchy war zone. There have been occasions where I’ve wiped my arse with such vigour that I’ve managed to dislodge the next poo an hour ahead of schedule. And when I’ve got to go, I’ve got to go. It’s not uncommon in our house for me to bang on the bathroom door and tell whoever is in there that they’ve got about five seconds to get out.

Tried all sorts to soothe my poor little bum with no joy. Diet change, laying off the ale, trying not to shit until absolutely necessary, wet wipes instead of bog roll. Fighting a losing battle.

I sometimes get prescribed codeine and that brings the shit frequency down to about four a day but as soon as I stop taking it my arse erupts in a bad way.

I’m going for a shit right now.

The medication I take plays havoc with my guts. My stomach rumbles when I’m hungry, rumbles when I’m full and rumbles all the time in between. I have six shits a day, minimum.

As a consequence of that my bum hole is like a war zone. A really itchy war zone. There have been occasions where I’ve wiped my arse with such vigour that I’ve managed to dislodge the next poo an hour ahead of schedule. And when I’ve got to go, I’ve got to go. It’s not uncommon in our house for me to bang on the bathroom door and tell whoever is in there that they’ve got about five seconds to get out.

Tried all sorts to soothe my poor little bum with no joy. Diet change, laying off the ale, trying not to shit until absolutely necessary, wet wipes instead of bog roll. Fighting a losing battle.

I sometimes get prescribed codeine and that brings the shit frequency down to about four a day but as soon as I stop taking it my arse erupts in a bad way.

I’m going for a shit right now.

Get yourself some cetavlex, you can thank me later.

I got so bunged up on tyenol #3 (codeine) once when I finally was able to shat it as forcing out a brick sideways.

Back when I had my hernia operation, they prescribed me both codeine and Dyclofenac. I used the latter for just the first few nights because it knocked me right out, but after taking codeine during the day, I was bunged up for a few days. Very uncomfortable when you've just had a hernia op.

Get yourself some cetavlex, you can thank me later.

I’ve been thinking of asking the doctor for something but I’m still wary of this happening again.

Aye, it's just a bit of dry skin around the arsehole. Had it myself years ago and got a prescription off the doctor along with a prescription for something else unrelated. 10 minutes later I was sat in a packed pharmacy and the bird working there shouts over to me that they haven't got any of the tablets I needed but they have got my Anusol ready. Cheers love, now everybody in here knows I've got an issue with my arse.

I’d also have to drop my kecks and I dread to think what my arsehole looks like at the moment.

Just found a post of yours when looking for that quote recommending cetavlex to Bjornebye at the time. Can I buy it over the counter?