You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

Jack Grealish being touted to Spurs for £40m. Madness.

Please let that happen.

After the disappointment of Pochettino not leaving we need something to go wrong at Spurs. Grealish for that price would just about do it.

I'm beginning to think that Spurs are sort of in this weird place with Pochettino, where he's too good of a coach for them to replace, but at the same time he's a terrible evaluator of talent and as such shouldn't be anywhere near the recruitment. However, he is in a position to demand to be allowed to control recruitment or he'll leave. Catch 22.

Not too dissimilar to Rodgers' problem, to be honest (except Poch is a better coach). If Rodgers had just let Edwards and the team bring in the players and just focused on coaching the ones he got, he might still be in a job at Liverpool. Instead he insisted on weird deals like "I get Benteke if you get Firmino" and got a fully deserved sacking.

Please let that happen.

After the disappointment of Pochettino not leaving we need something to go wrong at Spurs. Grealish for that price would just about do it.

I'm beginning to think that Spurs are sort of in this weird place with Pochettino, where he's too good of a coach for them to replace, but at the same time he's a terrible evaluator of talent and as such shouldn't be anywhere near the recruitment. However, he is in a position to demand to be allowed to control recruitment or he'll leave. Catch 22.

Not too dissimilar to Rodgers' problem, to be honest (except Poch is a better coach). If Rodgers had just let Edwards and the team bring in the players and just focused on coaching the ones he got, he might still be in a job at Liverpool. Instead he insisted on weird deals like "I get Benteke if you get Firmino" and got a fully deserved sacking.

Why is he ‘“a terrible evaluator of talent”?

Well, some of this is just my opinion, so you're welcome to disregard if you like, but if you believe the Spurs insiders Poch is the one who pushed for Sissoko. That probably colours my view quite a bit because it was one of the most obviously dumb deals we've seen a big club do recently (right up there with some of the things Ed Woodward has gotten up to at United) and he continues to support him vocally despite him being abject when he plays.

I think, reading the tea leaves, the situation at Tottenham is somewhat similar to what we had here under Rodgers. There is clearly an analytics team that is doing good work and suggesting some unheralded players who have turned out to be gems. Son, for example, was one that statistical analysis would have suggested was a good target.

It's not as clear-cut as the divide was here between Edwards and Rodgers, because they don't speak about it to the media as much, but you can still see the tension. And you can sense that the recruitment has gotten worse as Pochettino exerts more and more control over it and you go from buying the likes of Wanyama and Son to Sissoko and Llorente.

Some of their bad buys are hard to pin on Poch like Janssen or Moura (who might still turn good) but that Sissoko one really stands out. I don't think you could find a single analyst focused on stats in the world who thought that was a good move - it was doomed from the second they looked at him.

Some of their bad buys are hard to pin on Poch like Janssen or Moura (who might still turn good) but that Sissoko one really stands out. I don't think you could find a single analyst focused on stats in the world who thought that was a good move - it was doomed from the second they looked at him.

Didn't Firmino single him out as of one of the best players in the league?

“We have great players in English football, it’s hard to select one as the outright best,” he said. “That’s why it’s the most popular league with many quality teams. We can talk about the goalscorers Salah and Harry Kane.

“We also have Gabriel Jesus, Kevin De Bruyne and Ilkay Gundogan in Manchester City, Paul Pogba and Romelu Lukaku at Manchester United, Moussa Sissoko and Mousa Dembele at Tottenham, Willian and Eden Hazard at Chelsea, Mesut Ozil at Arsenal.

“Not to mention Mane, Emre Can, Dejan Lovren and the many other good players we have here at Liverpool. It is a league with great stars. Virtually everyone I mentioned will be at the World Cup. The level is very high.”

Didn't Firmino single him out as of one of the best players in the league?

“We have great players in English football, it’s hard to select one as the outright best,” he said. “That’s why it’s the most popular league with many quality teams. We can talk about the goalscorers Salah and Harry Kane.

“We also have Gabriel Jesus, Kevin De Bruyne and Ilkay Gundogan in Manchester City, Paul Pogba and Romelu Lukaku at Manchester United, Moussa Sissoko and Mousa Dembele at Tottenham, Willian and Eden Hazard at Chelsea, Mesut Ozil at Arsenal.

“Not to mention Mane, Emre Can, Dejan Lovren and the many other good players we have here at Liverpool. It is a league with great stars. Virtually everyone I mentioned will be at the World Cup. The level is very high.”

Maybe "moussa" means "boss" in Portuguese.

Well, some of this is just my opinion, so you're welcome to disregard if you like, but if you believe the Spurs insiders Poch is the one who pushed for Sissoko. That probably colours my view quite a bit because it was one of the most obviously dumb deals we've seen a big club do recently (right up there with some of the things Ed Woodward has gotten up to at United) and he continues to support him vocally despite him being abject when he plays.

I think, reading the tea leaves, the situation at Tottenham is somewhat similar to what we had here under Rodgers. There is clearly an analytics team that is doing good work and suggesting some unheralded players who have turned out to be gems. Son, for example, was one that statistical analysis would have suggested was a good target.

It's not as clear-cut as the divide was here between Edwards and Rodgers, because they don't speak about it to the media as much, but you can still see the tension. And you can sense that the recruitment has gotten worse as Pochettino exerts more and more control over it and you go from buying the likes of Wanyama and Son to Sissoko and Llorente.

Wanyama was signed in the same window as Sissoko. Didn’t Spurs also sign Alli, Dier, Davies, Alderweireld, Son, Trippier, Sanchez under him?

To get us back on track on OUR transfers (and I admit I'm partially to blame for starting the debate on Poch's eye for a player, for which I apologise), someone on twitter has put this up:

DfK33hbW4AAtKja.jpgDfK33hbW4AAtKja.jpgDfK33hbW4AAtKja.jpgDfK33hbW4AAtKja_zpsvvcr2dvp.jpg

I mean, I'm not a Photoshop expert but that looks awfully real to me. Or at least, it looks like something that would take WAAAY too much time to fake just to show that you knew something we're all going to know in 12 hours or whatever.

To get us back on track on OUR transfers (and I admit I'm partially to blame for starting the debate on Poch's eye for a player, for which I apologise), someone on twitter has put this up:

DfK33hbW4AAtKja.jpgDfK33hbW4AAtKja.jpgDfK33hbW4AAtKja.jpgDfK33hbW4AAtKja_zpsvvcr2dvp.jpg

I mean, I'm not a Photoshop expert but that looks awfully real to me. Or at least, it looks like something that would take WAAAY too much time to fake just to show that you knew something we're all going to know in 12 hours or whatever.

"Never underestimate how far people will go to get likes on twitter" - Abraham Lincoln

• Upvote 3

GOTZE OPEN TO KLOPP REUNION

Mario Gotze has refused to rule out a reunion with former Borussia Dortmund manager Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool.

The 2014 World Cup winner rose to prominence under Klopp at Dortmund and has left to open to a potential move to Anfield.

“I decided to leave Bayern and Jurgen Klopp was interested in getting me to Liverpool. And I was also interested in working with him again,” Gotze told the DAZN documentary ‘Being Mario Gotze’.

“It’s still existing. He is a world-class coach and that’s why it’s always an option

CILLESSEN STILL AVAILABLE?

Barcelona have not ruled out the prospect of selling Liverpool target Jasper Cillessen this summer, reports Mundo Deportivo.

The La Liga giants do not want to sell the goalkeeper but they will consider doing so if they receive a lucrative offer for him this summer.

The 29-year-old’s buyout clause is set at €60m and if Barca receive an offer close to that amount they will consider the proposal.

Goalkeeper Cillessen, who joined Barca from Ajax for €13m in 2016, is on Liverpool’s radar, while he has also been linked with Arsenal and Chelsea