You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should UK also Ban Smacking?

Sanjeev Nanda

I smacked Turdsette on the bum once. I can’t even remember what for, just remember how guilty I felt afterwards. She’s well behaved anyway but sometimes being tired causes her to give me a bit of attitude. Whenever that happens I just send her to bed and tell her not to come down until it’s changed. It works a treat. As soon as she reaches the top of the stairs I’ll here “I’m finished, Daddy.” If we’re away from home, threatening to tell her teacher that she’s being naughty usually does the trick.

Myself and my two sisters used to get leathered as kids and it’s probably no coincidence that the two of us that now have kids of our own have no contact whatsoever with my ma. It was never really an effective deterrent either, apart from the time she sparked me clean out with a rubber cosh. I behaved impeccably after that for a minute or two until I woke up.

I was smacked (not excessively) as a child, so I do believe in it and regularly give children a smack when they are naughty.

I just wish I had some children of my own so I didn't have to smack random children in the street....

• Upvote 2

No wonder the world is fucked. I was smacked as a child and it scared the crap out of me and gave me anxiety and a fear and hatred of my Dad, not respect. Lots of people only have kids so they can be authoritarian bullies. Hopefully one day the world can grow the fuck up.

No wonder the world is fucked. I was smacked as a child and it scared the crap out of me and gave me anxiety and a fear and hatred of my Dad, not respect. Lots of people only have kids so they can be authoritarian bullies. Hopefully one day the world can grow the fuck up.

I'm guessing you deserved it.

Yes.

Simple as that, really. I can't imagine any circumstance under which it would be ok to smack a child and, if I have any in the future, is something I would never do.

My Dad occasionally hit me as a kid, once or twice it went too far and on one occasion, when I was about 15, resulted in us having to be dragged apart. It bothered me then and it still bothers me now, when I think about it. Not significantly, it was a rare thing and I don't generally consider my Dad to be a violent man but he was prone to losing his temper. I learnt that from him, I learnt that losing your temper was a way for men to deal with things and, sometimes a smack was an extension of that.

I've learnt, mostly, not to be like that; I have odd moments but I'm a calmer person than him and never resort to violence. That's through a mix of educating myself, recognising an issue and dealing with it and having a wonderfully influential partner.

So back to the question at hand, yes it should be banned. Violence breeds violence, it teaches children the wrong way to deal with their problems. I wouldn't hit an adult (at 5'6" I'd more than likely lose) for doing something wrong so there is absolutely no way i could hit a child.

• Upvote 2

This is one of those issues that people feel they need to tread round on eggshells as parenting is such a personal thing. However, I think smacking kids is appalling; it’s the last resort of someone who’s lost control. Unless this “I only smack in a coolly rational way” bollocks is true, in which case it’s worse than appalling; it’s barbaric.

The lack of debate about parenting in this country is dangerous in my view. However, even worse is the complete absence of any education on it whatsoever. In my view, the record number of children in care right now is entirely related to the Tories ditching Sure Start centres seven years ago. They gave the most vulnerable children in society a better chance by giving their parents loads of help and support. That’s now long gone and kids are paying the price.

Fuckin' A, Paul.

I'm not a teacher, as you know, but live with a brilliant one. She has the same view. I see countless people with no idea how to control, or even correctly raise, their children. User it on the bus every day as kids run amok on the bus with only the threat of a smack to make them sit down. You hear parents shout and scream at their kids and then wonder why their kids shout back at them ("I don't know where they get it from!").

I once saw a woman hit a kid, hard, in the street and was totally taken aback by it, I was completely shocked. I snapped out of it when she threatened to hit me too, apparently I was staring!

• Upvote 1

My mother smacked me but my father didn't. I respected and still respect both equally. Smacking never worked but often neither did withholding privileges, a stern talking to or explaining and reasoning. Sure, I knew right from wrong but still did things I shouldn't have, such as messing about and underachieving in school and stealing stuff from shops. The one thing my parents never did was shout and scream at me, especially in public, as I was always well behaved and well mannered, when out with them.

A genuine question, what was the smack for that being hauled back from in front of a car and seeing her dad’s fear hadn’t achieved?

I’m trying to understand the logic for myself

From the look on her face (and having spent 20 years working with people and constantly judging their reactions/moods/behaviour) I honestly believe she had no idea what she’d done wrong.

She’d obviously not even seen the car, and was hauled back by my brother before she even had chance to turn round and see it.

However, I’m also quite happy to concede Joe probably did it in the heat of the moment, through fear and a loss of cool/control.

Whilst not agreeing with the idea of smacking, and having explained why...I challenge anyone to think that should have been classed a criminal offence and he should have been punished by the law.

I was smacked as a kid on the very odd occasion. When I was I knew (even back then) afterwards that not only had I crossed a line but probably jumped 20 foot over it.

When I was a little shit it was mostly the naughty step or a towel on the back of the legs up the stairs though.

Am I traumatised or feel hatred towards my mum? Not at all. Did it sort me out? Yes.

Depends on the parent(s) I guess. For me I don't see the issue as my mum didn't go overboard with it and I certainly learned from my mistakes quickly.

I’m really torn by the issue, I instinctively think it wrong but can see where decent parents would in an extreme case.

I don’t think they should be punished.

HOWEVER, legislation can bring about culture change.

How you’d write that legislation but with some common fucking sense I’m not sure I’d trust this current government.

On board with most people here; I’ve done it three or four times with my lad who has just turned four. It’s reserved only for exceptional cases and is a distant fourth to talking to him, spending time in his room/on a naughty step or taking toys away.

He had a spell at about two where he would go crazy and bite and smack his mum. She’s never smacked him and I’ve got to say she gets the brunt of all of his worst behaviour. I guarantee part of that is his knowledge that if he pushes too far (and I’m not talking a mere series of little things here) then he could get a smacked bottom. He smacked his mum at soft play last week and i absolutely know he wouldn’t ever do that with me. In fact when I’ve seen him in a real tantrum he’s put his hand up to hit me and gone on to bottle it. He’s much closer to me than his mum too so it’s not like he’s walking round terrified either..

He’s incredibly well behaved generally, has never hit another child and is notably kind to everyone. It works for me for him to know that whilst he’s getting bigger and stronger there is a limit to what he can get away with.

Should have made him fall down the naughty step.
  • Upvote 1