You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

23 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Experience? How can you have experience of something you, well, aren’t?  I can’t experience being 6 ft tall, or as clever as you so how can I identify as it?  I might aspire to to, admire it or desire it but I can’t be it. 

I think many are dysphoric to some degree, at least. So it probably is an experience they can speak to.

3 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I think many are dysphoric to some degree, at least. So it probably is an experience they can speak to.

I guess there’s a qualification of that or is it eye of the beholder type deal?  

But aside that, thinking you are a woman bears no relation to being a woman. 

Lots of men transition in their 40’s and 50’s.  45+ yrs of experiencing the world as a man. What gives them any perspective of being a woman?  

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

I guess there’s a qualification of that or is it eye of the beholder type deal?  

But aside that, thinking you are a woman bears no relation to being a woman. 

According to DSM-5 there's a several possible indicators, but of course, like many other similar conditions there will be many people who never undergo diagnosis hence, "to some degree". "Thinking you are a woman" is only part of that, and a deliberately reductive description of even that part.

Meanwhile auto gynephilia isn't really classified in DSM-5 in the context of transgender people as far as I can see, just transvestitism as a fetish. Probably plays a part for some, but there's no evidence that it's a widespread thing to excuse it being used as a generalised statement to misrepresent trans people as being sexual deviants of some kind.

11 minutes ago, Pidge said:

According to DSM-5 there's a several possible indicators, but of course, like many other similar conditions there will be many people who never undergo diagnosis hence, "to some degree". "Thinking you are a woman" is only part of that, and a deliberately reductive description of even that part.

Meanwhile auto gynephilia isn't really classified in DSM-5 in the context of transgender people as far as I can see, just transvestitism as a fetish. Probably plays a part for some, but there's no evidence that it's a widespread thing to excuse it being used as a generalised statement to misrepresent trans people as being sexual deviants of some kind.

Transvestism falls under the trans umbrella. 

I don’t think TW are sexual deviants. I would be grateful for the test you’d apply to differentiate deviants exploiting the affirmation model from those with dysphoria.   

I wouldn't apply any, not being a clinician.

What is a trans umbrella? One that turns inside out?

Also, "In transvestic disorder, feelings of distress at cross-dressing are separate from feelings of gender dysphoria, and individuals identify as their anatomical gender (The American Psychiatric Association, 2013)."

Might be considered a concurrent diagnosis for some, but clinically distinct from GD.

2 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I wouldn't apply any, not being a clinician.

What is a trans umbrella? One that turns inside out?

Also, "In transvestic disorder, feelings of distress at cross-dressing are separate from feelings of gender dysphoria, and individuals identify as their anatomical gender (The American Psychiatric Association, 2013)."

Might be considered a concurrent diagnosis for some, but clinically distinct from GD.

That was funny.  I’m applying Stonewalls definition of trans - if you are US based then fair enough. Are you? 

It’s important because if TWAW there is absolutely no distinction between the two. I mean we’ve got Pippa Bunce named as one of the top 100 women in banking and he’s a transvestite. He’s got a woman’s award for being a part time woman so any difference to someone with dysphoria is well, redundant. 

Not as funny as "implies the existence of a soul" unfortunately.

DSM is one of the leading classifications that develops clinical coding around the world, those definitions have driven the changes in ICD-11. NHS is still largely using ICD-10, so maybe the previous set of codes are more in use (which also includes a form of transvestism with "gender identity disorders", but not one related to AGP or sexual gratification). Unsure of the current coding convention and usage.

Pippa Bunce is non-binary, not a fetishist as far as I know (don't know half as much as you seem to about them). Can't say I know much about their sexual appetites though.

2 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Not as funny as "implies the existence of a soul" unfortunately.

DSM is one of the leading classifications that develops clinical coding around the world, those definitions have driven the changes in ICD-11. NHS is still largely using ICD-10, so maybe the previous set of codes are more in use (which also includes a form of transvestism with "gender identity disorders", but not one related to AGP or sexual gratification). Unsure of the current coding convention and usage.

Pippa Bunce is non-binary, not a fetishist as far as I know. Can't say I know much about their sexual appetites though.

Ha. But you’ve not answered what is in the wrong body. You are your body. What is IN the the wrong body? 

DSM talks about wearing clothes, playing with toys as indicators. Reinforcing stereotypes. 

Pippa is gender fluid - he flips on a daily basis.  He has all the advantages of being a male all the time and can play at being a woman whenever he wants. He’s indulged. It’s pathetic. 

• Upvote 1

I think she might be focusing on signifiers (at least 6 of which are expected to be present) and less on the prolonged distress and impairment of function that would lead to any such assessment in the first place.

The idea that children are being convinced that they are trans just because they play with the wrong toys is bollocks.

Diagnoses are intended to provide answers to a problem, not invent them.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I think she might be focusing on signifiers (at least 6 of which are expected to be present) and less on the prolonged distress and impairment of function that would lead to any such assessment in the first place.

The idea that children are being convinced that they are trans just because they play with the wrong toys is bollocks.

As I said, off to bed now. But it’s in the fucking literature. 

imagine one of the most high profile trans kids in the US follows this path?  

8 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

can a woman have a penis? 

21 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Reality? The one with chicks with dicks? 

22 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

So women can have a penis?

Just in a day. It’s all about cocks for Rico. His obsession on this subject doesn't seem to go as far as the brain, it stops at the waist. 

• Upvote 2