You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

World Athletics Championships 2017.

Guest Pistonbroke

Id say finishing his career with his medal total and a taking the world record from 9.77 to 9.58 yes he more than filled his potential. Especially when he has done notjing but fight through injuries the last few years.

It took around 40 years for .200 to be taken off the world record before that.

I'm not disputing what he's achieved in the sport, he's clearly the greatest natural sprinter ever by a wide margin, the point is whether he could have gone even faster. Bolt and Johnson have always said he could have run 9.40, yet he's only run under 9.70 three times in his life. Sprinters normally peak in their late 20s, but Bolt's personal best was set when he was 22. These days he's struggling to break 10 seconds.

Shame it didn't end with gold for Bolt. He has been the best sprinter I've ever seen, with world records and gold aplenty. I can remember Allan Wells in Moscow 1980 (never the best, but a fella who wrung every last ounce out of his talent to get that gold) and everything that has happened since then. Bolt is the best I've seen. Good luck to the fella in his retirement.

I've no time for Gatlin. Even though he's old, he's not as old in 'miles on the clock' due to all the time off for being a drug cheat. I'm surprised he can run so fast with the brass neck he's got.

• Upvote 2

I'm not disputing what he's achieved in the sport, he's clearly the greatest natural sprinter ever by a wide margin, the point is whether he could have gone even faster. Bolt and Johnson have always said he could have run 9.40, yet he's only run under 9.70 three times in his life. Sprinters normally peak in their late 20s, but Bolt's personal best was set when he was 22. These days he's struggling to break 10 seconds.

Yeah but that time in his career he was breaking down. I dont think he could have done anymore

Guest Pistonbroke

Am I missing something with KJT's coaching , did neither of her world class coaches think that any strengthening of her arms might be helpful ?

As well as obviously helping the shot and javelin , it might also help her sprinting / long jumping events.

Finding the right balance mate, it could be counter productive as far as her favoured/better events go. 

The atmosphere in the stadium shouldn't be hostile and booing for 100m champ.

The atmosphere should not be hostile to a two time drug cheat?

This is a man banned for amphetamines which h blamed on a ADHD meds. Allowed back after a year only to fail again a few years later for elevated testosterone. Get a 8 year ban instead of life as he co-operated and then got that 8 year ban reduced to 4. 

He has no place on a athletics tracks in competition. 

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke

Coleman must be a bit pissed, being as he beat Bolt as well. 

It'll be interesting to see what happens at the medal ceremony. Personally I don't think they should boo, just cheer Bronze and Silver and stay quiet for the Gold. Gatlin was a cheat but it is the IOC who let him compete again, just like they have with other athletes. They are going to boo though, hopefully they don't carry it on into the National Anthem being played. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Michael Johnson is the best sports analyst/punter in any sport in my opinion. 

Doesn't suck up to anybody,whatever their nationality,and tells it like it is.

Top guy.

Indeed, I always enjoy his input. 

No boos for Montsho in the 400m Q, ah, she ain't racing against Bolt.

Let's face it, almost no-one in the crowd has bought their ticket in the hope of seeing history being made in the Women's 400m.

Bolt is a wonderful athlete and showman to Gatlin's drug cheat who offers almost nothing of himself to counterbalance that truth. It's sport but it's also entertainment and people are partisan and it's absolutely understandable that there's a difference in responses

Guest Pistonbroke

Let's face it, almost no-one in the crowd has bought their ticket in the hope of seeing history being made in the Women's 400m.

Bolt is a wonderful athlete and showman to Gatlin's drug cheat who offers almost nothing of himself to counterbalance that truth. It's sport but it's also entertainment and people are partisan and it's absolutely understandable that there's a difference in responses

Not in my book C, if you are are going to boo drug cheats then you should be consistent about it, but each to their own. 

Not in my book C, if you are are going to boo drug cheats then you should be consistent about it, but each to their own.

Oh, absolutely, but, do you know, her cheating has never had the publicity of the competitors in the blue riband events.

More and more I'm thinking, like others have said, it's the IAAF, that's the villain in being so weak in applying career ending penalties