You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Home  News

Rumour: Liverpool’s Naby Keïta move “close, real close”

By

Jack Hallows

-

12th July 2017

Liverpool Football Club’s Naby Keïta move is supposedly very close to completion, with more details expected to come by Friday. 

Some possible good transfer news, finally!

Twitter has been rife with unreliable stories in recent weeks with every second account supposedly ‘In The Know,’ such is the nature of the transfer market, but Graeme Kelly, a known to be reliable source of Liverpool Football Club information, has just dropped a serious bombshell on his Twitter account.

Kelly responded to a question about the Guinean midfielder with the following:

“All I know is it’s close mate. Real close. I will know more on Friday pal.”

Now, as always, we have to take this news with a pinch of salt. However, Kelly is generally renowned on Twitter as being a reliable source of information who will only post what he knows to be fact.

The news come just one day after the StarAfrica African Footballer of the Season for 2017 dropped a hint that he’s still gunning for a move to Merseyside by liking a mock-up on Instagram depicting him in a Liverpool shirt, while also lining up with former BBC journalist Ben Smith’s claims that the club’s transfer dealings would acceleratethis week.

If the Reds have indeed moved into a position where they’re close to wrapping up a deal, it could see the Guinean join the Reds in time for their pre-season tours of Hong Kong and Germany, an ideal scenario for boss Jürgen Klopp.

Am I right in thinking that that Graeme Kelly is the same guy who said the Oxlade-Chamberlain deal was done and dusted a few months ago? The one who still has that Rodgers post-Derby sacking tweet pinned to the top of his twitter page (despite suggesting Ancelotti was going to be his replacement).

Naby Keita who has already agreed personal terms on a 5 year deal is now awaiting permission to travel to Liverpool for his medical #LFC

This is bullshit of course, but could you at least source your bullshit, please? What's the point in posting tweets or info if there's no source?

Am I right in thinking that that Graeme Kelly is the same guy who said the Oxlade-Chamberlain deal was done and dusted a few months ago? The one who still has that Rodgers post-Derby sacking tweet pinned to the top of his twitter page (despite suggesting Ancelotti was going to be his replacement).

Graham Kelly that resigned from the FA in disgrace > Graeme Kelly LFCITK

Interesting development, Leipzig contact LFC to say they arent selling (and we havent even made a bid?).

Maybe Keita is waiting to see how serious we are about him before burning his bridges by slapping in a transfer request?

Just wish we were proactive and put some bids in, you're not buying anyone if you dont.

If we don't get him this summer he'll go to Bayern or Real next summer. Only chance of us getting him will be if his form collapses for some reason, in which case we probably wouldn't want him, or he gets a major injury, in which case we might not want him depending on how bad it is.

• Upvote 1

Talk is cheap, just like FSG.

It's pointless until you start bidding.

So just start throwing cash around, rather than trying to negotiate a deal - you know, like every other business deal involving tens of millions of pounds. Honestly, the way some people talk about it makes you think if people don't quite understand the magnitude and complexity of a deal like this. If negotiating on deals saves us 10 million, which it could on huge deals like this, to put towards another player, then jaw-jaw is better than fax-fax. 

• Upvote 1

So just start throwing cash around, rather than trying to negotiate a deal - you know, like every other business deal involving tens of millions of pounds. Honestly, the way some people talk about it makes you think if people don't quite understand the magnitude and complexity of a deal like this. If negotiating on deals saves us 10 million, which it could on huge deals like this, to put towards another player, then jaw-jaw is better than fax-fax. 

What???

How many times have we talked to clubs and walked away without putting in a bid?

How many times have we failed to up an opening lowballing bid and walked away?

We just expect to waltz in, ask for a club's best player or one of their most promising youngsters for next to nothing. 

But at the same time we're doing the same to other clubs that are enquiring for our players.

If FSG didn't have such a lousy track record of getting targets, I wouldn't be moaning.

• Upvote 1

What???

How many times have we talked to clubs and walked away without putting in a bid?

How many times have we upped an opening lowballing bid and walked away?

I've no idea. All I know is what some half-clued in media, and whipped up twitter bollocks tells me. I'm not one to go off the handle about this. As for lowballing, this seems to be a standard negating tactic. The same way that the other side would have asked for more than he's worth. Just because somebody says 'Henderson? 104m', it doesn't mean you say 'well, okay then, I guess fair's fair, here you go'. If a player isn't worth it, I absolutely think we should walk away. I mean, I don't get that criticism. As for walking away without putting in a bid, that's standard practice. For all clubs, businesses, home owners, car buyers, etc. 

• Upvote 1

Telling the local journos you're after him and then not contacting his club isn't negotiation.

I think the basic strategy appears to be get player to agitate for move and drive the price down. which would be fair enough if we'd actually managed to do it once or twice before.

plus factor in the way prices are going and its just not a viable strategy in any way shape or form.

people get all pissy about it but sometimes you just have to pay up. we can shite on about negotiating all day long but you cant negotiate with someone whos flat out telling you "we're not selling unless its 70 million".

if we actually managed to get the players to properly agitate beyond more than throwing a strop on instagram maybe just maybe then we might get them for lower