You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

May calls General Election on 8 June

jimmycase

Well 44 years old, can't remember the last time I voted in a GE, if ever, and I've just joined the Labour Party. Not bad considering I wasn't even sure who I was voting for 3 weeks ago (it definitely wasn't the Tories or UKIP!).

• Upvote 5

I'm a Labourite and sorry she was completely clueless. Not a cunt interviewer at all, just pounced on how flat she was and her inability to comprehend and answer a question.

She's fucking appalling and does Labour no favours whatsover.

I'm not saying I think she's the best choice or even the right choice for her position. Maybe I'm bored of seeing the media bias and it's clouding my judgement too, I accept that. Each time he asked about something more specific though and she started speaking he allowed her around a few seconds and then stopped her almost every time. Maybe she'd have made more sense if she could've been allowed to speak for longer earlier on in the clip.

It was partly the interviewer's fault. He was trying to make her look stupid and kept stopping her from speaking in most of the clip you posted.

Shit questions, too.  It was like he was trying to see whether she'd memorised the report verbatim, rather than getting her comments on any particular points of the report or the report in general.  And if it takes her two seconds to process "Why is this twat asking such shit questions..." then he just launches into the next one before she can form a response.

I'm sure if it was a Tory on the receiving end of that "interview" I'd probably gloat a bit at her/his discomfort, but I wouldn't cite it as evidence of her/his incompetence.

Maybe Abbott is incompetent and maybe there's evidence to that effect - but that clip ain't it.

• Upvote 1

As an aside, the way the polls are going will there even be a Lib Dem MP left? Labour and the Tories seemed to have hoovered up all the Kippers and taken a lot of support from the Libs. I wonder if Farron will get as much air time as Farage used to even though he wasn't an MP.

As an aside, the way the polls are going will there even be a Lib Dem MP left? Labour and the Tories seemed to have hoovered up all the Kippers and taken a lot of support from the Libs. I wonder if Farron will get as much air time as Farage used to even though he wasn't an MP.

After the beasting they took in 2015, you'd expect some sort of regression to the mean, which would look like a "Farron-effect" upturn.  Hell, they even had a load of people join the party in the hours after the election was called, didn't they.  It's really not impressive the way they're polling at the moment.

After the beasting they took in 2015, you'd expect some sort of regression to the mean, which would look like a "Farron-effect" upturn. Hell, they even had a load of people join the party in the hours after the election was called, didn't they. It's really not impressive the way they're polling at the moment.

Well as long as they keep Zac Goldsmith out I'll be happy for them.

Shit questions, too.  It was like he was trying to see whether she'd memorised the report verbatim, rather than getting her comments on any particular points of the report or the report in general.

Agreed, was thinking the same type of thing when watching most of it.

Guest Pistonbroke

Well we had a day of campaigning mostly about security, something which backfired for May the Bitch, you can bet your arse she'll be banging on about Brexit tomorrow.  

After the beasting they took in 2015, you'd expect some sort of regression to the mean, which would look like a "Farron-effect" upturn.  Hell, they even had a load of people join the party in the hours after the election was called, didn't they.  It's really not impressive the way they're polling at the moment.

The vote is being squeezed. The combined Tory/Labour vote at this election should comfortably exceed 70%, which it hasn't done since 2001, and could even breach 80%, which it hasn't done since 1979.

Even allowing for the fact that pollsters are weighting the Lib Dems down from about 10-11%, due to over-estimating them last time, I won't be surprised if the Lib Dems don't gain much vote share on 2015, and even less surprised if they still make gains despite that (due to better targeting).

Extract from Haaretz :

I'm a British Jew, and I Don't Fear a Corbyn Victory. I'd Welcome It

The caricature of Jeremy Corbyn as a tool of Trotskyites, a lover of dictators and a shill of anti-Semites is unhinged and wrong

Jonathan Rosenhead, Jun 05

I heard that Corbyn interview, carried out by Emma Barnett, whom I have subsequently learned is Jewish, on BBC Woman’s Hour. Woman’s Hour is usually a reflective and civilized programme. This interview however was relentlessly hostile and even insulting in tone. Barnett's rudeness and partiality certainly deserve excoriating criticism; but not of course the Twitter storm of anti-Semitic commentary that followed.

There is no way of knowing who those perpetrators are (that’s the nature of Twitter). Yet Anshel Pfeffer has no hesitation in saying that ‘loyal Corbyn supporters’ were to blame. How does he know? Certainly any Corbyn supporters who participated were entirely disloyal. There is absolutely no reason that the optimistic and, yes, idealistic mass of Corbyn supporters would take this low road. The explicit inference, that Corbyn "enables anti-Semitism today", is as outrageous as it is unsubstantiated.

I jointly moderate a Facebook page which covers Israel/Palestine issues. We do get postings with anti-Semitic undertones every day or two (and delete them as soon as they are spotted). Surprise - there are indeed anti-Semites out there.

But what we don’t have in the UK is an anti-Semitism crisis. Three-quarters of politically-based anti-Semitism, according to the Parliamentary Home Affairs Committee, is not on the left but from the far right. But in any case anti-Semitic hate crime makes up only just over 1% of all hate crimes as recorded by the police (figures from 2015). That’s 1% too much – but no reason to whip up alarm, to use phraseology like ‘awful dilemma’ and ‘ominous’.

There does seem to be a wilful tendency across the media to portray Corbyn’s supporters, Corbyn himself and his policies as if they were mindless or worse. The job of commenters is, surely, to critique the actual policies they disagree with rather than conveniently misrepresent them.

One example of this is Shindler’s statement that Corbyn’s policies towards terror in the West reflect “his [critical] stance on Israeli military responses to Hamas rocket attacks”. Maybe Corbyn would put it a little differently – basing his argument rather on the 10-year blockade of and repeated military assaults on Gaza.

Or consider Corbyn’s opposition to liberal interventionism abroad. Certainly he would say, with Shindler, that “the war on terror isn’t working”. But his argument is more forensic than this – that the attacks by the West on Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya have opened up vast ungovernable spaces where the jihadis have organised and recruited. That is – it is the war on terror that has, paradoxically, brought terror to the streets of Manchester and London.

Corbyn doesn’t have the decades of front-line media experience that most top-level politicians have had. He is quite capable of fluffing his statistics because he hasn’t learned the manipulative skills of avoiding questions he doesn’t have an answer for. But he does have principles, and sticks to them, and builds policies based on them. But it is of course far easier to attack a straw person than to engage with the real one.

Jonathan Rosenhead is Emeritus Professor of Operational Research at the London School of Economics. He is chair of the British Committee for the Universities of Palestine which supports the academic boycott of Israel, and Vice-Chair of Free Speech on Israel, a non-Zionist Jewish organization that believes anti-Zionism is not anti-Semitism.

About half of the article is here already but a quick sign-up (name/email/password) is needed to view the rest : http://www.haaretz.com/opinion/.premium-1.793829?=&ts=_1496703775908