You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

May calls General Election on 8 June

jimmycase

You can make fun of it all you want, that's fine, but what if there's a real chance that she is protecting herself because she's strongly suspecting her father would be implicated in some illegal acts?  And she's removed all traces of her father online so that she can continue to be involved in the inquiry process?  That would be a monumental perversion of justice, and in all likelihood she could face a prison term.

This is from back in late 2016

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-child-abuse-inquiry-cover-up-concerns-dame-lowell-goddard-stories-a7369976.html

And then more recently:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/11/theresa-mays-last-chance-rescue-child-abuse-inquiry

It's painfully obvious there's a fucking massive cover-up going on here.  Probably best if the person running it back then, the daughter of a priest, isn't fucking involved in any of it.  

I hate the way they bang on about lowering the deficit and never get pulled up about their complete failure to eliminate the deficit as they said they would in 2010 and 2015 and now 2017.

Their economic record is one of consistent failure. Now it is all about fairness apparently. 

If they promised to drop a nuke on Pakistan and it would eliminate terrorism forever they'd win the election.  That's the bedrock of stupid racist baby-boomers and old people we have to deal with.

For the older generation, they don't seem to 'get' modern terrorism.  They were from the era of known targets, be it Hitler, or Hussein, or Galtieri or Brezhnev. 

They can't understand the modern problem that is without a figurehead.  This is why they're keen to lash out at anything, just swinging blindly at anything our PM points them at.

If they promised to drop a nuke on Pakistan and it would eliminate terrorism forever they'd win the election.  That's the bedrock of stupid racist baby-boomers and old people we have to deal with.

For the older generation, they don't seem to 'get' modern terrorism.  They were from the era of known targets, be it Hitler, or Hussein, or Galtieri or Brezhnev. 

They can't understand the modern problem that is without a figurehead.  This is why they're keen to lash out at anything, just swinging blindly at anything our PM points them at.

You serious, ah fuck look who it is, of courser you're not. Those oldies are dead mate, the ones you probably mean to suggest 'don't understand modern terrorism' obviously ignored the ira bombing campaigns. 

You serious, ah fuck look who it is, of courser you're not. Those oldies are dead mate, the ones you probably mean to suggest don't understand modern terrorism obviously ignored the ira bombing campaigns, you fucking troll prick. 

No, they hated Gerry Adams. 

But the problem was that Irish people looked like English people, and many people had irish friends or had irish ancestry.  The only way to openly differentiate was by religion, which they did in NI but not in England, our faith isn't strong enough.

It's a good attempt Sputnik, but modern terrorism is much different to the troubles in NI.  The IRA actually wanted something, I'm not sure the modern jihadist is open to discussions.

I regard myself as part of the baby boomer generations, I certainly do get modern terrorism as does the vast majority of my peers, 

Bogey men real or imagined are not the issue. Simple answers to complex problems belong with Trump and May ; the issue with the older generation is financial security/ health in old age and hanging on to the majority of the wealth and property they have amassed,

You address that by lowering the voting age , having fairer taxation, getting younger people to vote and getting rid of  FPTP not branding all older people as ignorant racists

I regard myself as part of the baby boomer generations, I certainly do get modern terrorism as does the vast majority of my peers, 

Bogey men real or imagined are not the issue. Simple answers to complex problems belong with Trump and May ; the issue with the older generation is financial security/ health in old age and hanging on to the majority of the wealth and property they have amassed,

You address that by lowering the voting age , having fairer taxation, getting younger people to vote and getting rid of  FPTP not branding all older people as ignorant racists

What does it matter if you continue to educate yourself through the BBC and the Daily Mail and red-tops?  Like millions of oldies do.

Put all people over 55 in a room with Theresa May and get her to say "strong and stable".  I bet 65% of the room break into rapturous applause.  Not a clue.

All the information is out there if people want to take it on board.

It's not even well-hidden.  Christ, you just need to have a social media account and you'll be flooded with it.  But if you want to ignore it and prefer to bang the 'Labour aren't good with money' drum, then you can go fuck yourself as far as I'm concerned.

On that topic of money, here's a link to debunk that.   Not that any staunch Tory will read it, because they vote for colour, not policies, otherwise they'd put the Tories out on their arse for what they're doing to their loved ones and their pensions and public services.

https://fullfact.org/economy/labour-and-conservative-records-national-debt/

Young people aren't entrenched in voting by colour, older people are.  They don't get the idea behind politics, voting, policies.

Guest Pistonbroke

BREAKING: Jeremy Corbyn has called for Theresa May to resign as Prime Minister for presiding over cuts in police numbers while Home Secretary.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jeremy-corbyn-calls-for-theresa-may-to-resign-as-prime-minister-over-cuts-to-police-numbers_uk_59353b48e4b0c242ca2582b2

Jeremy Corbyn has called for Theresa May to resign as prime minister for presiding over cuts in police numbers while Home Secretary.

The Labour leader told ITV he backed similar calls by “very responsible people” who are “very worried” about her record.

In the wake of the London Bridge terror attack and with the general election just three days away, the prime minister is under pressure over a 20,000 reduction in the number of officers on the streets since 2010.

May this morning defended her record. “The Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police has said that the Met is well-resourced, and they are, and that they have very powerful counter-terrorism capabilities, and they do, we have protected counter-terrorism policing budgets,” she told a press conference.

“We have also provided funding for an increase in the number of armed police officers since 2015. We have protected our all police budgets.”

Steve Hilton, David Cameron’s former chief strategist, this morning said May “should be resigning not seeking re-election” over “security failures”.

Asked about Hilton’s comments, May said: “I don’t think I’m the only person in Westminster who has found himself on the receiving end of a few comments from Steve Hilton.”

Questions have also been asked about the drop in the number of armed police officers. According to Home Office figures, there were 6,976 armed officers in March 2010 and 5,639 in March 2016.

On Saturday evening, armed police shot dead the three attackers in London Bridge within eight minutes of receiving the first emergency call. Seven people were killed by the attackers and 48 were injured.

Guest Pistonbroke
Tory says she is "pleased we have food banks" - then threatens to call police on hustings audience

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tory-says-pleased-food-banks-10562993

Sheryll Murray threatened to leave the hustings and caused outrage by saying she was going to ignore part of the audience

A Tory candidate threatened to call the police on the audience at an election hustings - after they booed her for saying she was "really pleased we have food banks".

Sheryll Murray, who is standing for re-election in South East Cornwall, made the comments after being challenged about the rise in the number of people using food banks in the constituency.

"I am really pleased that we have foodbanks," the Tory candidate says.

The video taken by a local resident then shows the audience jeering Ms Murray, with one man shouting: "A civilised society shouldn't need them."

Ms Murray replies saying said she would ignore "these people", while pointing at a section of the audience who had challenged her.

An angry disabled woman confronts Ms Murray, saying: "Don't you stand their saying that you can ignore me."

Taking her seat the woman says: "I'm sitting down now but you are being rude".

After the woman sits down the Tory hopeful says: "I'm think we should leave, because obviously I am not being subjected to this.

"You've all witnessed this horrendous behaviour, I came here in good faith today."

Ms Murray then says she will agree to stay, but only if the woman leaves.

"Perhaps the lady should leave then," she says.

The woman replies: "You were being very rude and I am not leaving, if you want me to leave call the police."

Ms Murray turns then turns to an aide and says: "Would you like to go and do that please?"

Ms Murray made the comments at a hustings in South East Cornwall, a seat she has represented since 2010.

A desperate chair then tries to restore order, but Ms Murray soon accused of "waffling" instead of answering the question about food banks.

The meeting then resumes, with Ms Murray saying that food banks help people through temporary situations created by the government's reforms to benefits.

Speaking to the Plymouth Herald , Ms Murray's agent defended his candidate's request for the police to be called and suggested the questions had all come from local Labour activists.

Bob Davidson said: "I am growing increasingly concerned about the actions of of the hard left group of the Labour Party which is determined to stiffle debate and our campaign."

The local Lib Dem candidate, Phil Hutty, said that Ms Murray's outburst proves the Tories were back to being the 'nasty party'.

"The Conservatives just don't care about people struggling and going hungry in Cornwall," he said.

"That the Conservatives believe that it is acceptable to live in a society that needs food banks is a true indication of how they care nothing for ordinary people.

"Sheryll Murray has been a disgrace as a local MP and the people of Cornwall need strong MPs who will stand up to the Conservatives and their friends in London."

Been saying since last week that the 1922 committee have put a 'hit' out on her. The fact that normally compliant questioners (Kuenssberg being the standout) have been putting the boot in is indicative of an up and coming leadership challenge.

BREAKING: Jeremy Corbyn has called for Theresa May to resign as Prime Minister for presiding over cuts in police numbers while Home Secretary.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jeremy-corbyn-calls-for-theresa-may-to-resign-as-prime-minister-over-cuts-to-police-numbers_uk_59353b48e4b0c242ca2582b2

Jeremy Corbyn has called for Theresa May to resign as prime minister for presiding over cuts in police numbers while Home Secretary.

The Labour leader told ITV he backed similar calls by “very responsible people” who are “very worried” about her record.

In the wake of the London Bridge terror attack and with the general election just three days away, the prime minister is under pressure over a 20,000 reduction in the number of officers on the streets since 2010.

May this morning defended her record. “The Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police has said that the Met is well-resourced, and they are, and that they have very powerful counter-terrorism capabilities, and they do, we have protected counter-terrorism policing budgets,” she told a press conference.

“We have also provided funding for an increase in the number of armed police officers since 2015. We have protected our all police budgets.”

Steve Hilton, David Cameron’s former chief strategist, this morning said May “should be resigning not seeking re-election” over “security failures”.

Asked about Hilton’s comments, May said: “I don’t think I’m the only person in Westminster who has found himself on the receiving end of a few comments from Steve Hilton.”

Questions have also been asked about the drop in the number of armed police officers. According to Home Office figures, there were 6,976 armed officers in March 2010 and 5,639 in March 2016.

On Saturday evening, armed police shot dead the three attackers in London Bridge within eight minutes of receiving the first emergency call. Seven people were killed by the attackers and 48 were injured.

For heaven's sake woman, go.

• Upvote 2