You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

May calls General Election on 8 June

jimmycase

Get Labour on board and let's have PR, then.

I think you'll be waiting a long time.

You had your chance to change it but sold out with some bastardised version.

I also think that a lot of us Labour voters could influence party policy if brought to the fore of manifesto pledges. This is the question ordinary people should always ask before an election 'Which party's policies can I possibly affect?' As most people don't have articulated lorries full of cash the answer should never be 'The tories.'

Guest Pistonbroke

Baroness Warsi is actually coming across quite well.

I thought so to, but she is not a career politician in her own words. Hopefully she does bring the stuff to the table as she promised. She also said that a coalition with the DUP would cause more long term damage than it was worth. 

Have you ever bought something over the Internet from the USA or Canada or Japan or somewhere like that? If so, you probably got slapped with 20% import VAT and an £8 handling charge.

However you don't get fucked through the arse if you buy stuff from Europe, and that's because they're in a common market with us. It's exactly the same as buying stuff from the shop round the corner.

The single market means you can pop over to Calais, load your van up with enough booze to give Keith Richards pause for thought, and bring it all home without anyone batting an eyelid.

The single market also means that when you've finally had enough of this rain-sodden shithole, you can go and live and work elsewhere in Europe without needing a visa or anyone's permission, making it just as easy to have a fresh start in Halkidiki or Cannes as Halewood or Crosby.

Hard Brexit means leaving the EU AND the single market. Hello import taxes, goodbye freedom to live and work abroad.

Soft Brexit means leaving the EU, but staying in the EU common market. We would cease to be a member of the EU, but - like Norway, and Iceland, and Switzerland - we would still enjoy most of the benefits of membership. We would still be free to come and go as we please, and we could still buy stuff from the continent without worrying about paying a load of extra fees. More or less business as usual.

I still don't think any of the stupid cunts in this country who voted to leave would understand this explanation

I still don't think any of the stupid cunts in this country who voted to leave would understand this explanation

There were plenty of Brexiteers during the Referendum campaign who were arguing precisely that we would stay in the Single/Common Market - after all (they said) that's what people voted for in 1975,  before the EU started to make all our laws, etc.

There were plenty of Brexiteers during the Referendum campaign who were arguing precisely that we would stay in the Single/Common Market - after all (they said) that's what people voted for in 1975,  before the EU started to make all our laws, etc.

Well, they don't make all our laws, but we are ultimately subject to their authority (not that we have always upheld their decisions).

But we should also bear in mind that some of the laws they have made have been beneficial. Common regulations for safety, workers rights, equality, human rights and more.

It's a mixed bag, yes, there is good and bad, but most of the remainers believe the positives outweigh the negatives.

Now we're going to go it alone with a workforce that's considered to be less productive than some of our European counterparts, and with a trade imbalance with Europe where we import more than we export. That may change in time, but as things stand right now, and admittedly it's a personal opinion, but the UK and Europe need each other, but we need them more than they need us.

There were plenty of Brexiteers during the Referendum campaign who were arguing precisely that we would stay in the Single/Common Market - after all (they said) that's what people voted for in 1975, before the EU started to make all our laws, etc.

You sound like one of them stupid cunts

She's not getting at that - it's more pointing out who the Tories are getting into bed with and the onus on the Tories to try and influence the DUP over equality / gay rights. Of course May will 'assure her', but the DUP's not going to budge any more than the Tories would - certainly not on such a fundamental issue. It's going to be a real kick in the teeth for pro-abortion / gay rights Conservatives. Ruth Davidson is a leading Tory light, and now May will have brassed her off too...

Yes, I see where you're coming from. How Tory voters (and their reps) would view it is a question I've been thinking about because usually no one gives the slightest fuck about what parties in Northern Ireland think/do. 

Yes, I see where you're coming from. How Tory voters (and their reps) would view it is a question I've been thinking about because usually no one gives the slightest fuck about what parties in Northern Ireland think/do. 

Generally, I'd agree, they don't care... until now. Now, everybody's searching for DUP information and the press will (without doubt) start probing the differences between the DUP and Tory Party, and how 'compatible' the two can be.

As Sinn Fein is to the IRA, the DUP is to the Unionists. It's hard not to recognise their past links with paramilitary organisations. That's no to say they are not now a legitimate party seeking to sustain peace, merely that it's hard to criticise Corbyn and his 'alleged' support of Sinn Fein (which I can't find conclusive evidence of). Sinn Fein, in some instances stand for some fundamental issues that we in the rest of the UK disagree with, and that's not easy to reconcile. 

19060213_190812888114257_370108724385941

I'm not questioning any of the above, but I am mindful that I've seen similar stuff about Corbyn, and it's all too easy to accept they are true - when they might not be.

That's not a criticism in any way whatsoever, I'm just always wary of these hatchet jobs / lists in the media. But, if it makes people go and research for themselves, all the better.

19060213_190812888114257_370108724385941

My perspective on the following:

Wells - deserves any criticism levelled at him, except that he's a strong advocate of animal welfare at odds with his party in general.

Paisley Jnr - undoubtedly a tit in the past, seems to have mellowed since his dad died, spoke well of Martin McGuiness on his passing.

Pengelly - pretty sure her dad wasn't convicted but he has undeniable links to Ulster Resistance. That was the 80s though, doesn't mean that, in 2017, she should be tarred by association.

Iris Robinson - hasn't been seen or heard from since the incident above, for good reason.

Givan - that stuff about Ashers bakery, I know several moderate nationalists who agree with that view. In general, a smug twat.

Campbell - the worst of the worst. nothing good to say about him.

Wilson - loud-mouthed attention seeker, doesn't believe in climate change, but I'm pretty sure he does that of his own volition and that this "climate change deniers" angle is a bit misleading.

Poots - unlikeable guy who has nothing positive to offer.

Girvan - just an idiot really.

Buchanan - another idiot, albeit a nastier one than Girvan. Once heard him describe people who have abortions as "murderers".

Storey - a much more affable type of fundamentalist, but still an idiot.

Dodds - don't see the big issue with him attending the funeral of a UVF member in the 80s tbh but in general, a fairly unlikeable hardliner. 

My perspective on the following:

Wells - deserves any criticism levelled at him, except that he's a strong advocate of animal welfare at odds with his party in general.

Paisley Jnr - undoubtedly a tit in the past, seems to have mellowed since his dad died, spoke well of Martin McGuiness on his passing.

Pengelly - pretty sure her dad wasn't convicted but he has undeniable links to Ulster Resistance. That was the 80s though, doesn't mean that, in 2017, she should be tarred by association.

Iris Robinson - hasn't been seen or heard from since the incident above, for good reason.

Givan - that stuff about Ashers bakery, I know several moderate nationalists who agree with that view. In general, a smug twat.

Campbell - the worst of the worst. nothing good to say about him.

Wilson - loud-mouthed attention seeker, doesn't believe in climate change, but I'm pretty sure he does that of his own volition and that this "climate change deniers" angle is a bit misleading.

Poots - unlikeable guy who has nothing positive to offer.

Girvan - just an idiot really.

Buchanan - another idiot, albeit a nastier one than Girvan. Once heard him describe people who have abortions as "murderers".

Storey - a much more affable type of fundamentalist, but still an idiot.

Dodds - don't see the big issue with him attending the funeral of a UVF member in the 80s tbh but in general, a fairly unlikeable hardliner.

Very fair.

The problem with attacking this kind of religious fundamentalism is that if you don't like it in the DUP, you can't ignore it elsewhere.

Very fair.

The problem with attacking this kind of religious fundamentalism is that if you don't like it in the DUP, you can't ignore it elsewhere.

Equally, if you attack it elsewhere, you must attack it in the DUP? Yes?