You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Flower of Scotland/ Burns Day

Nunavut Patrick

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/robertburns/works/cock_up_your_beaver/

When first my brave Johnie lad came to this town,
He had a blue bonnet that wanted the crown,
But now he has gotten a hat and a feather -
Hey, brave Johnie lad, cock up your beaver!

Cock up your beaver, and cock it fu' sprush!
We'll over the border and gie them a brush:
There's somebody there we'll teach better behavior -
Hey, brave Johnie lad, cock up your beaver!

Whisky is like most things, if you drink cheap shit, it'll taste like cheap shit, the nice stuff goes down a treat but then you get these wankers in their Whisky Society clubs paying £110 a nip. I've never really got into it myself though & prefer a nice Brandy.

Thats kinda my thought on it. It makes me feel like I might need to wear a tux and look like K D Lang

kd lang

Haggis gives me a constant craving.

She always wanted her name in lower case. But when you are born in Alberta and bat for the other side you tend to stand out.

Enjoying a Glenfiddich Solera 15 yr right now.

No haggis, though. I could murder one right now, o cheiftan pudding race.

Ate Haggis, drank a dram.

I think Burns is pretty much shite (though this maybe akin to the way English kids dislike Shakespeare as it gets forced down their throat/over analysed to death during their education) but Tam-o-shanter isnae bad so gave that a read.

Miss home quite a bit, in part because Edinburgh is an ace city and Aberdeenshire is a bucolic idyl, but also due to the fact that less people are  looking to stamp on your face to get on all the time (i.e. Conservative spoons). That is probably solely down to population density (therefore a lack of squabbling for resources) and a feeling of unitedness against 'the other' i.e. the English/government in London.

• 2 months later...

I didn't say it was the worst, have you heard Brazil's?

I think Flower of Scotland is a nice enough folk song but it's a bit embarrassing having a national anthem about a battle with the English army when there's plenty of positive things we could just be singing about Scotland instead.

God Save the Queen isn't even the English National Anthem, it's British & yes, it's a load of shite.

Should be Born Slippy by Underworld

I think the correct term would be 'friction burn' caused by the placing of both hands on someones forearm and while grabbing tight, moving each tightened hand in opposite directions. 

Naw, friction burns are when you've been shagging a bird on the carpet & have fucked your knees.

You have to take the rough with the smooth I suppose.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Used to work with a lad who's missus was from a remote part of Scotland and her Da still owned a farm.  He went up for a visit and I asked him for a haggis jokingly.  He brought me one down from the farm.  No instructions, no nothing on it.  Just a haggis vacuum packed.  It was lovely 

I am an English born Irish man but having a Welsh mum and who now lives in Scotland I feel I am uniquely qualified or more likely disqualified for commenting on Haggis.

Best I have ever had and the first ever Champion Haggis maker.

Cockburns of Dingwall.

Most Haggis is heavy and a task to eat. This is light and you eat far more than intended both as a result of the lightness and cracking flavour