You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton (H) 24/10/15

smilezzz

None of the performances since Klopp came would be classed as 'great' in my eyes, but that would be unrealistic anyway. What they have all been is solid. You can see additional workrate and a bit more passion. We are harder to beat when before our heads went down quickly with the slightest adversity. We also look to have more of a plan in our play. People playing in the correct position and working hard for the team. 

It all augurs well for the future. 

Get things straightened out in the last third and we will start to turn these draws into wins. I'm seeing progress and I'm very hopeful for the future. I'm also nowhere near ready to give up on top four this season. 

Augur is a good word.  

On Benteke....actually having someone who can smash defenders around and get on the end of crosses so we can vary our play is a good thing and will help us - we just need to find someone who can put a decent cross in regularly and take a corner/set piece. We need variation in our play.

Benteke scores all kinds of goals and if we give him decent service on the ground and in the air he will score goals.

• Upvote 1

We've looked good as an attacking unit once this season.  The lump was injured for that game, so again I fail to see how he's been remotely decent at all.   This isn't Benteke FC, a fluid attack is much more important than him scoring or knocking defenders around in disjointed displays.

A quick glance at Belgium is enough to see he'll never be part of a decent attacking unit.  So people have to ask themselves are they happy to see him smashing about defenders or do they want to see Liverpool smashing football teams.

• Upvote 1

You're putting too much emphasis on his style of play. A quality player is a quality player at the end of the day and what we're crying out for more than anything else is genuine quality.

Bayern won the treble with Mandzukic up front, Chelsea won loads with Drogba. It's not like the lad is some static heading machine like Andy Carroll either, he's good off the ball, his movement is good, his link up play likewise and he's more than capable with his feet. He's 6 foot 2 by the way not 6 foot 7, he's the same size as Drogba and Benzema.

I made that mistake myself before he arrived and was worried about him fitting our style of play, but he fits us fine. It's the others that need to accommodate their game to him because he's one of the few that can actually make things happen.

Anyone who thinks benteke is a lump is a bit of a cock. He's impressed in every game I've seen him play for us, unlucky against Rubin Kazan too when he hit the post. Plus he has scored some top class goals already. Genuinely can't find fault with him yet.

I think cunts just want to be cunts to be honest and they are dying to be proved right, even when a striker like Benteke scores goals, over head kicks, volleys from outside the box, headers, tap in's...a cunt will always be a cunt and find a fault. 

If Klopp can't make some fans feel positive and lay the fuck off the team and players for a while, nobody ever will.

Some of the cunts on here would pick faults with Messi if he played for Liverpool. Then again not everyone on here is a Liverpool fan and they have an agenda, it's time to see through these people. They are highlighting themselves more and more everyday. 

I'm so glad Klopp is our manager though, he just totally understands football. You can't play on the floor all the time, you need to mix up your game. It is football and you have to be able to adapt your game plan according to your opponent and have players capable of doing it. Chipping a ball over 20 yards onto a guys chest is as much of a skill as playing a pass on the floor. Absolutely fuck all wrong with it. We didn't invent football and we have no right to try and dictate to the world how it is meant to be played. 

Keep it on the floor and eventually other managers will crunch the fuck out of our skillful players, get them injured and we are left trying to play lovely stuff with our reserve team. You have to be able to be dynamic, adaptable and have the ability to change the game in different ways with the players you have on any given day. 

Fucking hell if Benteke is a useless lump what did that make Balotelli or Carroll ?

Do I envisage him starting next season, probably/hopefully not as I hope Klopp signs better and Sturridge ( don't laugh ) might actually get fit. Benteke is a good player as has been stated and a good option even moving forward. He is far better than is being made out by some. I think some people simply like to be contrary.

Good post and seriously, if you have a forumite calling Benteke a "lump", then all hope is lost.  Ban the agitating Blue Noses and Mancs as it degrades a generally good forum and the legacy of an excellent fanzine.

Benteke is class - end of. He is the perfect modern day forward - movement, a threat, pace behind, good link up play, a fine finisher, and the ability to do what he did yesterday - score a goal from a half chance.

Lucas also shouldn't be slated - he is the real Captain of this team and it doesn't take a genius to appreciate what Klopp was saying to him at the end - game management, close out the game, calm  the players down, don't give away daft free kicks (you dickhead Milner) etc.

Overall, a good start under Klopp - the players are giving 100% , trying to attack with a tempo, keeping the ball, winning it  back quickly.  A bit more composure in each penalty area and we will be fine.

As I said under Brendan, let's wait until we have our best team out - Benteke alongside Sturridge with a Brazilian number 10 feeding them from behind.

• Upvote 2

Good post and seriously, if you have a forumite calling Benteke a "lump", then all hope is lost.  Ban the agitating Blue Noses and Mancs as it degrades a generally good forum and the legacy of an excellent fanzine.

Benteke is class - end of. He is the perfect modern day forward - movement, a threat, pace behind, good link up play, a fine finisher, and the ability to do what he did yesterday - score a goal from a half chance.

Lucas also shouldn't be slated - he is the real Captain of this team and it doesn't take a genius to appreciate what Klopp was saying to him at the end - game management, close out the game, calm  the players down, don't give away daft free kicks (you dickhead Milner) etc.

Overall, a good start under Klopp - the players are giving 100% , trying to attack with a tempo, keeping the ball, winning it  back quickly.  A bit more composure in each penalty area and we will be fine.

As I said under Brendan, let's wait until we have our best team out - Benteke alongside Sturridge with a Brazilian number 10 feeding them from behind.

A good post, but you do realize many of us probably won't live to see that day?

I think my issue with Benteke is that I suspect he will be injured a bit like he was at Villa last season. The fact that we are changing style once more to accomodate him doesnt help with our already disjointed performances.

So to sum up,the issue is not with Benteke himself but more with the clowns who bought him.

Milner has to play wide if Benteke plays.

My girlfriend once got a Brazilian number 10, bit long but I still took her from behind.

I think my issue with Benteke is that I suspect he will be injured a bit like he was at Villa last season. The fact that we are changing style once more to accomodate him doesnt help with our already disjointed performances.

So to sum up,the issue is not with Benteke himself but more with the clowns who bought him.

Milner has to play wide if Benteke plays.

To be fair, we didn't really have a style under Rodgers. We were most succesful when our entire team just followed Suarez's endeavors.

We were death-by-football one minute and counter-attacking the next?!

We stopped trying to kill games with possession based football about 6 months after Rodgers arrived and played an altogether more high paced, shock and awe counter attacking style for the next 18 months. Which worked pretty well until we lost Suarez and all momentum was sucked out of the club due to our failed title challenge. After that I don't really know what happened.

We stopped trying to kill games with possession based football about 6 months after Rodgers arrived and played an altogether more high paced, shock and awe counter attacking style for the next 18 months. Which worked pretty well until we lost Suarez and all momentum was sucked out of the club due to our failed title challenge. After that I don't really know what happened.

I think you're being kind to Rodgers. The early part of 13/14, we tried to play a patient possession based football too. The gung-ho style was forced upon him by having two strikers in the form of their lives. As soon as Suarez left, he tried to turn us back into a possession football team again, where we were never really that good at it in the first place.

• Upvote 3

I love how stating facts about how the team played reads as me 'being kind to Rodgers'. Not that I haven't been accused of this bullsht in the past.

It's not being kind to Rodgers, it's relaying what I've seen with my eyes without any bias. Like a normal person.