You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Europa League - Liverpool v Rubin Kazan

Paco

With Origi and Benteke as our strikers you'd just be giving away possession.

just use them as battering rams every so often. Give them the ball with a defender at their back and let them try to turn and drive into the area like a power forward in b ball. They might draw a foul or the ball might ricochet to someone or they might get through on goal themselves but thus constant moving the ball from one side to the other is too predictable. More invention and less predictability.

Not a great performance but I don't think this is the worst thing, fans will start to understand Klopp is not a miracle worker and things will take time.People don't show these kind of teams enough respect, there's no easy game and expecting us to batter them is wrong, I'm impressed when we batter championship teams.

BRs biggest mistake was being successful too fast, the best thing for Klopp long term would be to finish outside of a cl place this season.If he gets cl this season and doesn't next season his job will be under threat, let him make some signings and start next season with realistic expectations.

• Downvote 5

Not a great performance but I don't think this is the worst thing, fans will start to understand Klopp is not a miracle worker and things will take time.People don't show these kind of teams enough respect, there's no easy game and expecting us to batter them is wrong, I'm impressed when we batter championship teams.

BRs biggest mistake was being successful too fast, the best thing for Klopp long term would be to finish outside of a cl place this season.If he gets cl this season and doesn't next season his job will be under threat, let him make some signings and start next season with realistic expectations.

rdNQFMQ.jpg

• Upvote 11

I think a harsh dose of realism is needed. I was astounded when some said this squad was underachieving and klopp could get more out of them. This is the worst Liverpool squad since Souness.

It had zero world class players and is comprised of a mish mash of unproven youngsters, cast offs, overpriced mediocrity and abject shite.

Klopp needs at least two transfer windows to get anywhere near this problem.

Hopefully reality has now kicked in for the OTT crowd.  I've seen some posts which actually commented on potential title challenge this season when Klopp came in..  He has a huge job ahead of him.  Thankfully he appears to be the sort of character who will relish this. 

This team/squad isn't really under-performing, they really are that poor.  And that's why Rodgers is in Spain figuring out how to spend his pay-off.

• Upvote 1

Of course the players are underperforming, how the fuck can anyone say otherwise? A bit of confidence and some time with Klopp on the training ground and we'll see a massive shift in performances.

Or are we supposed to write off the next few years while the squad is completely gutted?

• Upvote 4

The keeper, back four and the two holders aside (maybe not including Skrtel, who doesn't look like he can do on the front foot defending), everybody in that team is replaceable and either doesn't offer the required level of quality or, if they do, not with enough consistency.

I was a fan of Rodgers, but agreed with the change at the top. In hindsight, when you really look long and hard at our squad, it's a damning indictment of his time that his legacy is a team apparently lacking in confidence and an extremely lopsided squad full of "number 10" type players, "technicians" without any great technique. It's also damning that with all the money spent Coutinho and Sturridge still appear to be our only players capable of producing a match winning moment of quality.

There's plus points. We definitely look a bit more arsed, on the whole. The defence looks a bit more solid with the two mids in front of them. And Sakho and Mignolet appear in good form. Plus there's players who can raise our game a bit still to come back in to the team.

I said that I was happy to write this season off. While I think we can still win a trophy and even sneak top 4, I still stand by my original position. I believe Klopp has the ability, passion and, ultimately, the balls to do what's needed. Which, at the moment, looks like a bit of an overhaul, shipping out dross and bringing in a bit more quality and players with attributes more suited to the style of play he wants to develop.

Onwards and (hopefully) upwards.....

Klopp said in his first presser "if im still here in 4 years I will have won at least one title" which is a measured and logical thing to say. Unfortunately this has been widely reported as "I will win the league in 4 years".

The pressure on him to deliver is enormous already. The expectation is that this is the man who will win us the league so really he has got the rest of this season and next season to get us out of this 5,6,7,8 rut we ve been in for years. He cannot waste any time or write off any season because success in the form of trophies or cl qualification is the only thing that buys time.

he has to be as successful as he possibly can with what hes inherited this season, keep who he wants to keep, bring in who he wants to bring in next season and then by the start of his 3rd season he has the squad he is happy with. By the third year he ll have to win a trophy if he hasnt already done so. In my opinion after 18 months you ll fully see a new managers influence in a club. If we finish in EL positions this season again no one will be calling for his head but if we re still there after his first full season people will doubt him. You dont get very long in football management.

I d snap your hand off for any trophy at the end of this season because its been a while and it ll take pressure off klopp but if we finish 6th then 4th then consolidate top 4 and win a trophy we d be going into his 3rd full season having made progress every season and win the league that would be a team a manager has put together over 4 seasons and they ve grown into a successful title winning team. But easier said that done though for klopp to still be here in 4 years thats a sort of scenario we d be looking at.

What the fucking fuck? BRs first competitive game was an embarrassing home defeat to the mighty West Brom. We finished that season 7th. We did not make an impression in any of the cups. How is that finding success too quick?

What the fucking fuck? BRs first competitive game was an embarrassing home defeat to the mighty West Brom. We finished that season 7th. We did not make an impression in any of the cups. How is that finding success too quick?

away to west brom and agger was sent off.

first home game was 2-2 with city. Skrtel passed the ball to tevez for late equaliser.

he finished 2nd in his 2nd season.

Klopp said in his first presser "if im still here in 4 years I will have won at least one title" which is a measured and logical thing to say. Unfortunately this has been widely reported as "I will win the league in 4 years".

Surprised that of all the cretinous questions that he gets asked in press conferences nobody has sought to follow that up so he can clarify what he meant by title. Or is it more useful to store up as ammunition given that he's unlikely to have a proper title or still be popular by then?

Of course the players are underperforming, how the fuck can anyone say otherwise? A bit of confidence and some time with Klopp on the training ground and we'll see a massive shift in performances.

Or are we supposed to write off the next few years while the squad is completely gutted?

They aren't good enough - very little quality amongst them. I would say their results reflect their level of ability and have done for a while now.

I genuinely don't think they are under performing - this is how good they are.

All the leaders have gone - so we have pretty much no leadership on the pitch - we aren't blessed with much pace and power (vital things these days) and the quality is largely mediocre - we are very lightweight as well.

This is what Rodgers spent a fortune assembling - I make it the worst squad we have had since the Souness days.

Klopp will reshape it and improve it over time - he may even be able to squeeze a few % more out of them whilst he rebuilds in terms of effort and having them better organised, but largely he has a shower of shite to work with.

away to west brom and agger was sent off.

first home game was 2-2 with city. Skrtel passed the ball to tevez for late equaliser.

he finished 2nd in his 2nd season.

I stand corrected, 3-0 away. Wasnt it 2-0 when Agger was sent off, or about to be when he hauled someone down for a peno?

Wasn't it Aguero against City though?

That's beside the point. He wasn't successful at all.

There's only so much they're capable of, it's not really about confidence it's about an inability to play football.

We don't need to write thee seasons off we just need some good players. Klopp needs a transfer window like Houllier and Rafa had in their first forray. A few good players for the spine and we'll be on the road to recovery.

The situation is similar to when Houllier took over. The rot is so profound that the shit needs rooting out. You can't ask Steve harkness to stop being average and Paul ince to stop being a shithouse cunt, you just have to replace them.

In all honesty, it's genuinely impossible to see how someone who's not Brendan Rodgers could go into a transfer window and come out with players who're any worse than we've already got.

This. Yes, the squad is unbalanced and yes, we've paid too much for several players. But the simple fact is that we've not been able to really outplay any opponent, no matter how poor, since our great spell in Feb-March 14. Ludogorets, Middlesborough, AFC Wimbledon, Bolton, Besiktas, Blackburn, Carlisle, Sion and a Rubin Kazan team dropping as a stone in Russia after their cash supply stopped. These are very ordinary opponents, we've played most of them at home, and any team in the top half of the premiership should be able to batter at least half of them. We've battered none of them.

• Upvote 2

We have  a squad overflowing with international footballers from strong footballing nations, which is more than can be said for 95% of the opposition we're likely to face in the Europa League. Our fringe players would walk into the starting XI of virtually every team in the competition.

The way i see it is that Klopp's inherited a mediocre, unbalanced squad and has been further hindered by not having most of his attacking options available.He's not been dealt a kind set of cards for his first couple of hands but this is something 18 months in the making prior to his arrival. In most situations following a change in manager you see an uplift in effort in an attempt to impress the new boss, our problem hasn't been the effort it's a distinct lack of quality he's inherited.

£300m or so spent in 3 and a bit years down the line we shouldn't really be in this situation, even allowing for the 'big' names leaving. It feels like the BR era has set us back further than a lot of us (me included) realised.

I'll whinge and moan a bit when the inevitable poor results follow but deep down I know that I'm going have to show a lot of patience whilst all this is unravelled.

• Upvote 2

Not a great performance but I don't think this is the worst thing, fans will start to understand Klopp is not a miracle worker and things will take time.People don't show these kind of teams enough respect, there's no easy game and expecting us to batter them is wrong, I'm impressed when we batter championship teams.BRs biggest mistake was being successful too fast, the best thing for Klopp long term would be to finish outside of a cl place this season.If he gets cl this season and doesn't next season his job will be under threat, let him make some signings and start next season with realistic expectations.

Priceless. Clueless, but priceless.