You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Christian Benteke

WhiskeyJar

Can't wait to see him play. I've got some reservations but it's more about how he'll fit rather than the quality of the player, as I think he's really good, potentially great.

His first interview will be along the lines of:

"Simon has told me what a huge club it is, you only have to look at the corwds in Australia and Thailand to see that. I wish I could have been a part of that but I'm here now." 

"I'm really excited to join a young squad and to work with Brendan, who was a big factor in me coming here." 

"Everyone knows the history of the club, hopefully we can bring more success in the next few years"

"I've played in front of the Kop as an opposing player, so it will be good to have them cheering me on as they create such a great atmosphere."

• Upvote 8

Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke is likely to be Liverpool's final signing of the summer, according to Sky sources.

Benteke’s medical is currently ongoing and "progressing well", according to Sky Sports News HQ reporter Kaveh Solhekol, who is out in the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur with the Liverpool squad.

Benteke’s arrival had been expected to be confirmed by the Reds on Tuesday afternoon but it may now not be announced until Wednesday.

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has been busy in the transfer market this summer, bringing in James Milner, Adam Bogdan, Danny Ings, Nathanial Clyne, Roberto Firmino and Joe Gomez.

Belgium striker Benteke is expected to be the last piece in the jigsaw for Rodgers, who is splashing out £32.5m on a player former Villa boss Paul Lambert spent £5.5m on three years ago.

Liverpool are currently on a pre-season tour of Malaysia

Solhekol said: "Benteke was his No 1 target. He has already signed six players this summer and there is a general feeling at the club that he will be the last.

"There are still stories linking Liverpool with a move for Marco Reus and Real Madrid’s Asier Illarramendi. But I’ve been told those reports are nonsense.

"As far as Liverpool are concerned, I’ve been told they are just working on tying up that Christian Benteke deal and then as far as Brendan Rodgers is concerned he has the players that he needs for next season."

"There are still stories linking Liverpool with a move for Marco Reus and Real Madrid’s Asier Illarramendi. But I’ve been told those reports are nonsense.

He might be right, but I doubt that a twat from Sky Sports is going to get the real truth there.

I don't hate Liverpool. Don't hate United really. I have some gripes about the characteristics of SOME fans of both clubs though, but there are plenty of idiotic City fans too who spoil the reputation of the club I support.

There's no common reason why many other fans have an issue with Liverpool fans, but the most common criticisms are:

1) A perception that the media adore Liverpool and United.

When you were looking like you might win the PL, the media were running long montages of Liverpool and that irritated a lot of City fans. The league hadn't been won at that point but the media were hyping up the nation for your win.

There's always to sheer number of ex Liverpool players in the media all seeming to have their say on things.

2) The 'history' / 'entitlement' thing.

Nobody can deny Liverpool's achievements, but every club has ups and downs, and a whole range of fortunes across its history. There's a real perception that many Liverpool fans really believe Liverpool is actually 'special'. Clubs are special to their own fans, of course, but it's the feeling that Liverpool are somehow more noble, or inherently more important, that other fans dislike.

Phrases like 'we should be beating Villa' - why should you?

3) Some morons bricking the windows of City away coaches at Anfield.

This was in 13/14 season, and upset a lot of fans. From City's perspective, they'd make lots of efforts to be respectful about the JFT96 campaign and showed a lot of support, and if felt like a kick in the teeth. This is obviously a specific City gripe in recent history.

I'd say two of those are the main gripes fans have, plus a City specific one, and I'm not justifying all of them, merely putting forward the arguments people give.

Of COURSE there are going to be some out and out morons who come out with phrases like 'all scousers are wankers' etc. You get similar on here sometimes about 'mancs'. It's a nonsense, and anybody with a braincell knows it.

Taking the piss out of each other is part of supporting clubs (I would say), but the genuine hatred thing is beyond me. If it was people talking about skin colour, they'd be castigated as racists (and rightly so), and in my mind, anybody who genuine thinks all Liverpudlians are one thing, and all Mancunians are another shares the very same traits as a racist.

I wouldn't use Bluemoon as a good guide to City fans. It's similar to RAWK. There's some good posters, but on a site that large, you'll always get cliquey groups of gobshites who 'hate' everyone and everything, or mods not liking people who don't toe the party line.

I seen 2/3 of our coaches with their windows bricked up at your council house in 2010 after you beat us 3-0.

I think there's a lot of that post that's your opinion.

• Upvote 2

Can't wait to see him play. I've got some reservations but it's more about how he'll fit rather than the quality of the player, as I think he's really good, potentially great.

His first interview will be along the lines of:

"Simon has told me what a huge club it is, you only have to look at the corwds in Australia and Thailand to see that. I wish I could have been a part of that but I'm here now." 

"I'm really excited to join a young squad and to work with Brendan, who was a big factor in me coming here." 

"Everyone knows the history of the club, hopefully we can bring more success in the next few years"

"I've played in front of the Kop as an opposing player, so it will be good to have them cheering me on as they create such a great atmosphere."

There's a good drinking game in there

This is an epic medical. How long is it taking?

I had to have a medical exam for the visa when moving down here.  I was pretty sure I didn't have TB or AIDS but the doubts did creep in a bit during the waiting time before receiving the results.

Benteke must be getting a bit nervous by now.

They have had him out on the pitch at Melwood seeing if he can fit in with our tactics....

"Ok christian, what i want you to do is make a run into the box and then we wont get the ball in there for you, right go"

Benteke stands in box and waits for 2 mins.

"Ok, great - now corners what i want you to do is take up a position where you are unmarked or going to run off your man and i will take the corner but fail to get it past the first man....your job is to run out of the area to chase their breaking player, but DO NOT challenge him - nobody is to attempt to do that until he is in our penalty area"

"Great, now tackling - half hearted and make sure you get knocked over and bullied....could you lose a couple of stone maybe, you look a bit too solid, those arms need to be thinner"

"Finally, can you play left wing back?......Christian, Christian, Christian come back, Christian...."

• Upvote 3

Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke is likely to be Liverpool's final signing of the summer, according to Sky sources.

Benteke’s medical is currently ongoing and "progressing well", according to Sky Sports News HQ reporter Kaveh Solhekol, who is out in the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur with the Liverpool squad.

Benteke’s arrival had been expected to be confirmed by the Reds on Tuesday afternoon but it may now not be announced until Wednesday.

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers has been busy in the transfer market this summer, bringing in James Milner, Adam Bogdan, Danny Ings, Nathanial Clyne, Roberto Firmino and Joe Gomez.

Belgium striker Benteke is expected to be the last piece in the jigsaw for Rodgers, who is splashing out £32.5m on a player former Villa boss Paul Lambert spent £5.5m on three years ago.

Solhekol said: "Benteke was his No 1 target. He has already signed six players this summer and there is a general feeling at the club that he will be the last.

"As far as Liverpool are concerned, I’ve been told they are just working on tying up that Christian Benteke deal and then as far as Brendan Rodgers is concerned he has the players that he needs for next season."

So we will be going back to trying to simply outscore the opposition despite leaking goals like a sieve and not having the same quality of players in key positions like the last time we tried?

Sounds like a plan likely to,perhaps work or get a manager sacked very quickly.

It should be fun at least.

So we will be going back to trying to simply outscore the opposition despite leaking goals like a sieve and not having the same quality of players in key positions like the last time we tried?

Sounds like a plan likely to,perhaps work or get a manager sacked very quickly.

It should be fun at least.

Milner is an upgrade on Gerrard, so that should help defensively.

• Upvote 1

Medical done according to the Mirror

Christian Benteke latest

Christian Benteke is a step closer to sealing his £32.5million move from Aston Villa to Liverpool after completing his medical in London.

Benteke is now heading to Liverpool to complete the formalities of his transfer.

Liverpool hope to confirm finally that Benteke has completed his move later today.

The Reds had hoped to be in a position to announce the deal yesterday, but the medical has taken longer than anticipated to complete because they had to fly club doctor Andy Massey back from the club's tour of Australia and the Far East.

The deal has also been held up by the logistical challenge of Massey and Benteke getting around London to conduct the various scans and tests.

Benteke, 24, was due to begin training at Melwood today, but that is not likely to happen now until tomorrow.

With the exception of Sturridge it could be a completely new strike force this season.  The Independent has Lambert and Borini heading for the exit door for around £3m and £8m respectively following Benteke's arrival, and a potential loan move for Balotelli towards the end of the window.   That concludes TK's morning paper watch.  

With the exception of Sturridge it could be a completely new strike force this season. The Independent has Lambert and Borini heading for the exit door for around £3m and £8m respectively following Benteke's arrival, and a potential loan move for Balotelli towards the end of the window. That concludes TK's morning paper watch.

6/10

• Upvote 4