You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FIFA Executives Arrested

aRdja

It's an attempt to destabilise FIFA - remains to be seen how it'll pan out.

Blatter probably is untouchable in that he's in it for power more than money, and has probably sidestepped overt corruption accordingly.... however, he'll have known it's going on and used it to his political advantage.

He'll be forced out in the end (politically, but not for corruption), but not much will change. 

UEFA should be worried too. They too have systemic political issues (at best), and quite possibly corruption issues too. They've managed to avoid serious scrutiny thanks to FIFA's overshadowing antics, and the blinding financial 'success' of CL has managed to keep most cohorts on-side.

The latest developments are another major blow, although Fifa communications director Walter De Gregorio insisted the organisation was continuing to reform.

"This is good for Fifa," he told a news conference following news of the arrests. "It hurts, it is not easy, but it confirms we are on the right track."

comical_ali.jpg

• Upvote 5

I only just saw this on the Guardian's website.  Absolutely pissing myself, serves them all right and I really, really hope this brings the whole fucking lot of them down.

Be devastating if the Qatar World Cup didn't happen.

Not that there's any chance of it, but I might as well dream.

The only way Qatar won't happen is if there's a boycott which is a remote possibility.

If the FA had some balls, they'd pull out.... then we'll see if anybody else has the balls to join us.

If not, nothing lost anyway.

The FA is a microcosm of FIFA in many ways. Favours and favour.

• Upvote 1

Blatter will eventually be indicted. He will no doubt play the Alzheimer's or some 'unfit to stand trial' card.

Not sure he will. I think he's clean. His crime is political and moral corruption, not financial. He'll end up ousted, but won't see time.

If he does ever see time, no doubt it should be in a Qatar jail and he should be made to wear tight fitting shorts.

• Upvote 1

Not sure he will. I think he's clean. His crime is political and moral corruption, not financial. He'll end up outsted, but won't see time.

If he does ever see time, no doubt it should be in a Qatar jail and he should be made to wear tight fitting shorts.

Hahaha.

• Upvote 1

Not sure he will. I think he's clean. His crime is political and moral corruption, not financial. He'll end up outsted, but won't see time.

His misdemeanours ceased some time ago - he's made his money out of it. There are plenty who could give evidence against him if they get dragged into the mire though. Some will make like a canary in order to get away with a lesser sentence.

His misdemeanours ceased some time ago - he's made his money out of it. There are plenty who could give evidence against him if they get dragged into the mire though. Some will make like a canary in order to get away with a lesser sentence.

We'll have to see, but it's been a long time coming so far.

He's more like a Godfather, but never touches any money himself (imo). He just enjoys the favours and the power. He doesn't need the money, he probably rarely pays for a thing. Top hotels, wining and dining, probably female attention... he's got it made.

He's so smarmy because he knows he's untouchable on the bribes / corruption front (imo).

If he gets dragged in, it'll probably over allegations he knew of corruption, or facilitated / condoned it in some way, but I'm not sure they'll get him on having taken a bung himself. 

• Upvote 1

Don't forget, people like Warner who were ousted will want others to go down with them (or get revenge).

Assuming this is being done under RICO charges that's exactly how they usually do it - it's like peeling a sticky label, find a corner and work on that to roll the whole damn thing up.