You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

John Barnes claims racism is stopping him managing again

xerxes

I cant see racism on a large enough scale dictating how few black managers there are. Be interesting to see how many non white owners there are amongst english clubs? If anyone has been denied a managers job due to the colour of their skin it is disgusting

I was pretty surprised to read this.

Barnes was a fine footballer, and has been a distinguished voice for the game and LFC since his retirement.

He did however cock up two of the softest jobs in football, Celtic and Tranmere, and walked out of the Jamaican national manager's job. That is three bites of the cherry.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-legend-john-barnes-claims-5424668

You dont half chat shite. Alan Ball ran up about 6 strikes but still got opportunities. Oh, he was w-h-i-t-e wasnt he?

If you actually read what he's saying it's not that outlandish.  He's saying other managers fuck up all the time but because of perceptions they just walk into another job.

We don't know what he's gone through because he hasn't gone into too much detail.  For all we know he may have gone for jobs where the person hired has fucked up more than Barnes did.  Roy Keane hasn't been successful anywhere himself yet but you could guarantee he would walk into a job if he wanted it.  The headline makes you instantly think about his failures but he's actually saying he just deserves another chance and if he was white he probably would have had that by now and he is probably right in my opinion. 

Correct, colin wanker, ball and that ugly fella iain dowie cocked up numerous times in management but didnt stop them getting new jobs.

Not one of them black. Hmmmm, makes you think doesnt it?

I happened to be chatting to the Chairman and Secretary of Burton Albion a few days ago, along with a couple of their players.

The subject of race didn't even come up regarding JFH. But all said what an outstanding coach he was, and how his knowledge of top flight English football, European football, and his language skills all combined to make him one to watch.

That is the sort of CV that Barnes is now competing with.

I happened to be chatting to the Chairman and Secretary of Burton Albion a few days ago, along with a couple of their players.

The subject of race didn't even come up regarding JFH. But all said what an outstanding coach he was, and how his knowledge of top flight English football, European football, and his language skills all combined to make him one to watch.

That is the sort of CV that Barnes is now competing with.

You wouldn't know from watching Burton live on sky now !!

To be fair they're playing on a swamp in a storm 

Amazing. White people with no experience of racism criticise a black legend for talking openly about his experiences of it. The arrogance of second-guessing him or presuming to know better than he does on this subject is mind-blowing. To suggest he's "playing the race card" is pretty fucking disgusting in my view.

And as for using words like "disappointed"? Get to fuck. How anyone can live in this country and deny the existence of institutional racism in the boardroom is beyond me. Not heard of stop and search? Not watched telly and noticed the under-representation of BAME faces? Wake up ostriches.

• Upvote 5

There may be racism, passive or overt, at Boardroom level.

Whether John Barnes is an example of that is another matter.

My disappointment, as expressed in my OP, related to the second point.If his lack of success has been as a result of his footballing failures, rather than race, the race case is diminished for others. That is disappointing. A good leader chooses his battles carefully...

I was trying to think of other examples of any former player who had parachuted into a first job as high profile as Celtic ( and pre the Rangers crash it was still a top job), and failed, then took a lower league club, and failed, and then was employed again. There probably are some, but I couldn't think of any off hand (I'm sure other will put me right).

Digger's credentials at the top were tarnished by KK's turnaround, and taking Tranmere on the worst run in their history did little for his reputation lower down the leagues. Sammy Lee, who similarly crashed and burned at the top took a step down with us in a coaching role, and took similar roles at Bolton and Brighton. I don't know if Digger has been turned down for similar lower grade jobs, if he has its a shame because I still think he has something to offer the game.

More broadly, it would be interesting to see the detail of how many minority players are doing their coaching badges and applying for positions. If they are being disproportionately knocked back, why? If insufficient are taking the coaching/managerial route, why? A policy of guaranteeing minority applicants an interview would seem a logical step to redressing an obvious imbalance in their profile in the game.

• Upvote 2

If this was Paul Ince or Sol Campbell there would be universal ridicule (hasn't there been similar threads doing just that - might have been on the MF). As others hav commented, I don't think he has much of a case here...

I love Barnes - best ever player I saw live. Do I think he has the ideas and knowledge about football required for a job in the PL or Championship? Yes. Do I think he's got the bullying personality (and inflated ego) often needed to convey those ideas to the stupid multi-millionaires in the wardrobe? Nope. I've had the pleasure of meeting him twice, nicest and friendliest footballer I've ever come across. That might be some of the issue, most succesful managers seem a lot more ruthless than our former hero...

I've had the pleasure of meeting him twice, nicest and friendliest footballer I've ever come across. That might be some of the issue, most succesful managers seem a lot more ruthless than our former hero...

I met him once and heard him speak at a black tie dinner and agree with you.

He is a compelling and credible speaker, and perhaps a more appropriate question is why LFC have not employed him in a non-executive role or why the FA have not similarly offered him a position.

Frankly, by comparison to the contribution he could make, Celtic and Tranmere are small beer.

Amazing. White people with no experience of racism criticise a black legend for talking openly about his experiences of it. The arrogance of second-guessing him or presuming to know better than he does on this subject is mind-blowing. To suggest he's "playing the race card" is pretty fucking disgusting in my view.

And as for using words like "disappointed"? Get to fuck. How anyone can live in this country and deny the existence of institutional racism in the boardroom is beyond me. Not heard of stop and search? Not watched telly and noticed the under-representation of BAME faces? Wake up ostriches.

whats a BAME?????

I don't think anyone for a second is denying there is racism.  It is a bit of a stretch from there to suggest that Barnes hasn't had a job offer due to racism though.

I think that is taking a pretty narrow minded view on this situation. Of course racism exists as it does in every walk of life but to suggest that is the only reason black fellas are not getting jobs is nonsense. JB had chances and was shit at it.

What is Andre Villas  Boas doing these days, Gareth Southgate, Laudraup, Di Mateo, Roy Keane  etc.

It is not easy getting a top job and I suspect if guys like JB and Paul Ince had shown any great aptitude for the role they would be fought over.

I think that is taking a pretty narrow minded view on this situation. Of course racism exists as it does in every walk of life but to suggest that is the only reason black fellas are not getting jobs is nonsense. JB had chances and was shit at it.

What is Andre Villas  Boas doing these days, Gareth Southgate, Laudraup, Di Mateo, Roy Keane  etc.

It is not easy getting a top job and I suspect if guys like JB and Paul Ince had shown any great aptitude for the role they would be fought over.

You miss the point. It isn't just top jobs - it's all jobs right throughout all four divisions.

Your list is of a bunch of people who had no problems securing coaching or managers jobs despite being sacked - sometimes on more than one occasion.

• Upvote 1

AVB is coaching, then coming home to his solid gold house, over in Russia. He's doing alright I reckon.

Perhaps leading Porto to an undefeated 2010–11 season in the Primeira Liga, winning four trophies and becoming the youngest manager ever to win a European title in the process helped his reputation?