You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

John Barnes claims racism is stopping him managing again

xerxes

Perhaps leading Porto to an undefeated 2010–11 season in the Primeira Liga, winning four trophies and becoming the youngest manager ever to win a European title in the process helped his reputation?

Why are you saying that to me? Someone asked where he was, so I told them, humorously.

I could have pointed out what terrible examples pretty much all of the named people were but decided to leave it and just make a joke.

Why are you saying that to me? Someone asked where he was, so I told them, humorously.

I could have pointed out what terrible examples pretty much all of the named people were but decided to leave it and just make a joke.

Fair enough they may not be the best examples but certainly guys like Keane, Southgate even Hoddle and closer to home Roy Evans can't buy a job. Not because of race but because they are seen as poor appointments.

Ok I'm talking through my arse. Point I was trying to make is that JB not getting a job may in some circumstances be related to his skin colour  but I still feel it has more to do with his ability.

He could certainly be in the chair at Anfield had he won stuff.

I'll shut up now.

My point is this: by questioning his comments, which are based on his personal experience, you are questioning his integrity with absolutely no evidence for doing so.

Were you there when he was interviewed for jobs? Obviously you weren't. He was, though. I therefore think he has a better understanding of his own life than you or I do.

This is Johnny fucking Barnes. I reckon I'll go with his take on the racism he's faced in life especially as I've got absolutely no idea what it feels like to be racially discriminated against.

• Upvote 1

My point is this: by questioning his comments, which are based on his personal experience, you are questioning his integrity with absolutely no evidence for doing so.

No-one is questioning his integrity, nor his belief that racism has prevented his re-employment as a manager.

However there is evidence that his failure to be re-employed was his abject performances at two very good opportunities.

There is no question that as a player he faced racism.

Am sat watching the doc, it will be interesting to see his take on his managerial career.

The number of ethnic minority people in any kind of main job in football is pathetically low. Put simply institutional racism exists in the game. When Stuart Pearce is handed several high profile managerial jobs after proving less than stellar in them all why is Barnes not employed after just 2 attempts? Same with Gareth Southgate, he's been decidedly poor yet is managing the U-21s. Danny Mills, an alehouse clogger yet deeply ensconced in Greg Dyke's arse. The list isn't exhaustive either. So for those saying Barnes has failed at managing, at a fairly young age, and that's why he hasn't got a job I say you're talking shite.

• Upvote 1

What was that stat at the end: in 1999 there were 3 non white managers in all divisions. 2015 there are 6 non white managers in all divisions.

He had a hard enough time as a player why was it gonna get any easier as a manager

Fuck off, Sexrex

The number of ethnic minority people in any kind of main job in football is pathetically low. Put simply institutional racism exists in the game. When Stuart Pearce is handed several high profile managerial jobs after proving less than stellar in them all why is Barnes not employed after just 2 attempts? Same with Gareth Southgate, he's been decidedly poor yet is managing the U-21s. Danny Mills, an alehouse clogger yet deeply ensconced in Greg Dyke's arse. The list isn't exhaustive either. So for those saying Barnes has failed at managing, at a fairly young age, and that's why he hasn't got a job I say you're talking shite.

The uncomfortable answer is that neither Southgate at MBoro, or Pearce at City, cocked up as spectacularly as Digger did at Celtic and Rovers. Mills hasn't managed.

The stats say that racism does exist, but Diggers CV is the game-changer.

I have just finished watching the documentary. It brought back fabulous memories, not the least of which was selling his house for him when he lived in Hemel Hempstead playing for Watford.

The images of his skill and goals were a joy, but I had forgotten that our Heysel ban robbed him of the opportunity of plying his trade in Europe when he was at the peak of his powers, and how frustrating his England career was. His implicit criticism of Robson, a man who brought Muhren and Thyssen to Ipswich and coached Barcelona and PSV, felt odd.

The lack of minority representation as managers is self- evident. But Digger seemed in denial about his Celtic debacle and didn’t even mention the Tranmere disaster, nor did he give any indication of how many managers applications he had made, or what he had done to improve his chances.

What struck me most was that his talents and skills are quite different from those of most successful managers. His father worked for the Jamaican Diplomatic Service and those skills are so apparent with John. I would love to see him as a non-exec director at Anfield or on the Board of the FA promoting minority interests within the game.

A fabulous player, and a genuinely nice man

• Upvote 2

Admittedly, I can't name any obvious candidates but I'm pretty sure there are non-black candidates with comparable managerial success to Barnes' CV that are being considered for and getting management jobs.

I agree that the stats say that there is a problem with minority representation in football management.

But I have been trying to think of how many managers had bombed out in their first two managerial appointments of similar stature and recovered , and cant think of any? Can anyone help me out? There must be some.

what

If you're shit at something, say football management as an example - then you can look at so many other prerequisites for what may or may not be need to be factored in, to getting posted in that position, but the biggest of them all is being either good or bad at that job. John Barnes, as much as we all love him, lasted 3 months at Tranmere and was then fired off. I very much doubt that was to do with the colour of his skin. 

I'm certainly not saying there isn't racism in football, more that its all about being good at what aspect of football it is, you want to get a post in. If you're good, or very good then football will employ you, regardless. 

• Upvote 1

If you're shit at something, say football management as an example - then you can look at so many other prerequisites for what may or may not be need to be factored in, to getting posted in that position, but the biggest of them all is being either good or bad at that job. John Barnes, as much as we all love him, lasted 3 months at Tranmere and was then fired off. I very much doubt that was to do with the colour of his skin. 

I'm certainly not saying there isn't racism in football, more that its all about being good at what aspect of football it is, you want to get a post in. If you're good, or very good then football will employ you, regardless. 

At Celtic he won manager of the month in January, was fired in February. Didn't know that, did you?

A whole 3 months at Tranmere. Wow. How old was he? Seems as if he feels he didn't get the kind of time and support other managers get but I'm guessing you know otherwise?

I very much doubt that was to do with the colour of his skin.

Enlighten us, then.

From 3 non white non managers to 6 in all divisions in 16 years.