You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Star Wars Films

Section_31

Just downloaded TFA - watched the deleted scene. Who is the woman who tells Rey that Finn will be fine?

Also, I'm glad they cut that snow speeder scene as the CGI looked shoddy.

I downloaded TFA on Amazon download for £14 because it said deleted scenes were on it, I didn't notice a single scene that was new so rang up and complained and got refunded it. Joke.

I assumed the deleted scene version would have had the supposed bit with Maz using force and Rey and ren talking a bit more

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Happy with this but one minor worry is that it's been confirmed after they reshot half the film, is it a panic measure? Fuck it who cares, it's Vader!

I wouldn't worry, apparently reshoots were to remove a cast member who was recently removed from the film. His scenes had to be reshot, if the rumours are true.

The Vader stuff has been out there for a while. Only officially confirmed today. James Earl Jones did his voice parts a while back also apparently so it's not like they have added more Vader as a panic measure.

The one thing about this film is it won't be as secretive as the main episodes, hence why all character names/Vader is being announced 6 months before its release so maybe that shows confidence from Disney in the movie.

maybe that shows confidence from Disney in the movie.

Either confidence or the acknowledgement that the stakes are less with these films, given the prequels and the amount of money they spent on rights, if they had fucked up TFA then they could have been in serious trouble. Luckily it made a boat load of money and reinforced peoples enthusiasm for new films. These are one off's so if it's shit they get another go in two years without impacting the main trilogies.

Hopefully, because it doesn't impact the main franchise, they can be a bit more brave with these anthology films although the current slate and speculated films lined up suggest we'll end up with an ever shrinking galaxy intent on showing us the backstory of characters we don't need to see instead of expanding it and showing us stories that aren't focused on the originals.

I don't want to see* a young Han story a Young Yoda story a Boba Fett film, or an Obi Wan trilogy. I'm not interested in what happened to Nien Nub, Salacious Crumb or Sy Snootles.

Show us an outer rim film or Old Republic film instead.

*I'll still be there opening weekend for each of them.

Either confidence or the acknowledgement that the stakes are less with these films, given the prequels and the amount of money they spent on rights, if they had fucked up TFA then they could have been in serious trouble. Luckily it made a boat load of money and reinforced peoples enthusiasm for new films. These are one off's so if it's shit they get another go in two years without impacting the main trilogies.

Hopefully, because it doesn't impact the main franchise, they can be a bit more brave with these anthology films although the current slate and speculated films lined up suggest we'll end up with an ever shrinking galaxy intent on showing us the backstory of characters we don't need to see instead of expanding it and showing us stories that aren't focused on the originals.

I don't want to see* a young Han story a Young Yoda story a Boba Fett film, or an Obi Wan trilogy. I'm not interested in what happened to Nien Nub, Salacious Crumb or Sy Snootles.

Oh yeah, good points but I'd also say that these standalone films maybe do have a certain risk as many people are already confused (general public..etc) in thinking Rogue One being the follow up to TFA, plus there's not as much nostalgia about the original trilogy from the general public who are just going to see a film from a series of films they are aware of that has been given good reviews.

So if it's complete shit it could affect the general public numbers slightly going to see Episode 8 when that's out soon after, as that audience mostly defines how big a movie grosses.

Although, might be the reason Disney/Lucas film are releasing details already to clear some of that up confusion.

I'd agree about stand alone films in general. I'm excited about this one but not so much about a Han Solo film or Boba Fett movie, although I said that about Rogue One but saw the trailer and...BAM.

To be honest, while your outer rim/Old Republic ideas sound ace, I want to see back story stuff too. I certainly hope they step up from one to at least two movies a year too.

The problem with back story films, for me, is they can never live up to the originals and sometimes too much information is a bad thing

We might see how Han met Chewie and we might see him do the Kessel run, but it's not Harrison Ford, it's somebody trying to do an impression of him.

Boba Fett is popular because he barely spoke and was barely in the films.

We saw enough of Yoda in the prequels and if you go too far back you end up in Old Republic territory anyway.

We saw Obi Wan through the prequels and clone wars and in the a New Hope so they'll have to break continuity (which granted they did in the comics by all accounts) and have him romping around Tattooine having adventures instead of his quiet reflection.

Rogue one is a different beast because while it's showing the back story of an event it's at least a new cast (plus Vader who naturally fits within the story) although they've come out today and said Forest Whittakers character is a character we've seen before. 

They'll still all be brilliant but it's a bit too much of a good thing.

Forest Whittakers character is a character we've seen before.

Apparently from The Clone Wars tv series, which to be honest I have never seen and not really interested in checking out.

Seen this evening his codename in production on rogue one apparently was Castro, as Lucas originally based the character he's playing on Che Guevara.

Think it's only a matter of time.

I thought I read somewhere that Netflix are producing a Star Wars TV show. I may be mistaken but it looked legit with a trailer and certainly looked promising.