You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What is the greatest invention ever?

JohnnyH

Guest Numero Veinticinco

One again, not invented.

Hmn, if we are ruling out the discovery of a reaction, then invention becomes a pretty narrow field. After all, everything ever invented comes from that basic principle. Sets of reactions used in different ways.

And electricity was invented. By god. Facht.

The transformer was a biggie wasn't it?

I remember reading some clever shit about how the compass was a way more massive thing than people would give it credit for.

The winner though, surely, is the book (you can go with writing or the printing press I suppose). The one device that allowed knowledge to be passed on without each subsequent generation having to discover the same things again.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Language, no words - no thought.

Monkeys think? I'm no linguist, like. Stu makes a good point above about shared knowledge, though.

Technically, language would not be an invention. 

Monkeys think?

That question is quite interesting I think, as we also "think about" a lot of things (or our brain does) without using words. One of my profs was researching what is called "quiet knowledge" - stuff like "how to ride a bike" or "how to tie your shoelaces". Stuff you could learn/teach by showing/doing, rather than explaining/rationalizing.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

From the little I know about linguistics, Chomsky said that the ability for languae is inate. I guess (and I really mean that, I'm guessing) that means lamguages are invented (like Esperanto or Klingon or sign language, for example) or developed over time, but the ability is a natural process.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Written language is definitely an invention. There's a definite difference between spoken and written language.

Yeah, good point that. Letters representing the sounds rather than spoken words representing ideas.

It's interesting. I think language is still an invention though whether propensities are inate or not, there's a difference between communication and language. I might be able to grunt something at you and you might learn to interpret that means I'm constipated, but It's not language. A language should have specific rules that aren't open to interpretation.

I think the scope of language definitely impacts our thoughts and what we can do with those thoughts, that's the genius of 1984.