You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who would you vote for at this present time?

Guest Pistonbroke

Who would you vote for at this present time?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Which party gets your vote?

• Labour
    • Conservatives
    • Lib Dems
    • Green party
    • UKIP
    • Scottish nationalist party
    • Plaid Cymru Party of Wales
    • democratic Unionist party
    • Sinn Fein
    • Other

Serious question - if you live in a safe seat, for any party, is there a risk that the MP can toe the party line rather than listen to local opinion.

Thats a very good question rico.

My own opinion is that there are a few(just a few mind you) Labour MPs who still vote with their conscience and constituents in mind. Not many but while there are people like Dennis Skinner in the party there is still a little bit of hope.

Hope is fading fast though.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

No not really, The dilemma is do i vote for a party/candidate who is more in tune with my views or do i vote tactically to use my vote to get the tories out? It's catch 22.

I've got to say, I'd be gutted if I wash your neighbour and you didn't vote Labour. If you vote for Green (assuming it's them) then your vote won't count. It just won't, mate. It might count a lot of you vote Labour. I genuinely can't understand people who live in a Lab/Con marginal not voting Labour (or Tory, if they're that way incunted). Each man's vote is his own, and you'll vote for whichever party you see fit, but I'll try to convince you otherwise until voting day. You should be suitably annoyed by then.

• Upvote 1

No not really, The dilemma is do i vote for a party/candidate who is more in tune with my views or do i vote tactically to use my vote to get the tories out? It's catch 22.

Maybe just me, but I would vote for a party who would remove that dilemma, ie one that supports voting reform.

That would essentially limit your options to the Greens, Lib Dems or UKIP in the current climate.

if the upshot of this is the Labour candidate losing, then that's their fault for being opposed to something they promised in 1997.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Maybe just me, but I would vote for a party who would remove that dilemma, ie one that supports voting reform.

That would essentially limit your options to the Greens, Lib Dems or UKIP in the current climate.

if the upshot of this is the Labour candidate losing, then that's their fault for being opposed to something they promised in 1997.

Out of interest, would you prefer a Labour government or a Tory government, assuming LDs don't do very well next term?

I don't particularly care, I don't draw much distinction between left-wing authoritarianism and right-wing authoritarianism. I'm not even going to pretend that I think the party of illegal wars, extraordinary rendition, the banking crisis, identity cards etc is the lesser of two evils.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

No, but you're happy to pretend they're not. Anyway, I was asking about the next government, not trumped up bluster about the last. If you don't want to choose, that's fine.

I don't particularly care, I don't draw much distinction between left-wing authoritarianism and right-wing authoritarianism. I'm not even going to pretend that I think the party of illegal wars, extraordinary rendition, the banking crisis, identity cards etc is the lesser of two evils.

So you have no views on the Nhs?

No view on cutting the top rate of tax?

No thoughts on the bedroom tax?

Don't care about plans to stop under21s claiming dole/housing benefit ?

No opinion on a 2 year wage freeze for the lowest paid workers in society?

You're a charlatan.

Dont talk about voting reform.

Your lot had a chance to actually do something about it but settled for something that was a pale shadow of what your party has been droning on about for the past thirty to forty years.

I genuinely say this with a heavy heart but a vote for the LibDems will be the biggest waste of all.

Yes you may end up propping up the largest party(probably Labour at present) but you will have no say in the same way the Tories have just steam rollered anything constructive you wanted to do in this one.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Yes you may end up propping up the largest party

I'd say they have almost no chance of being in government next time. For me, they'll be the fourth party next election. I guess there's an outside chance of labour getting just shy of a majority and using them but they won't do a deal with clegg, nor would the lib dems have anything like the say in that government.

I'm more worried about what's going to happen with UKIP and Farage. There's a chance they could form a super shit Tory alliance with the Tories.

I'd say they have almost no chance of being in government next time. For me, they'll be the fourth party next election. I guess there's an outside chance of labour getting just shy of a majority and using them but they won't do a deal with clegg, nor would the lib dems have anything like the say in that government.

I'm more worried about what's going to happen with UKIP and Farage. There's a chance they could form a super shit Tory alliance with the Tories.

Lib Dems will have more MPs than UKIP.

The problem for UKIP is that whilst they'll get a decent chunk of the vote, the voting system will fuck them as they don't have a core vote anywhere. 

The problem for UKIP is that whilst they'll get a decent chunk of the vote, the voting system will fuck them as they don't have a core vote anywhere.

True. The UKIP noise is amplified by the media for the sake of stirring up shit, but in reality even those who vote for them think they're mongs. A decade of euro MPs and councillors here and there beckons I reckon, at best.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Yeah, agree with that. MPs, sure - that's a cert. The issue I have with UKIP is they're taking the vote away from others. If they form some sort of pre-election alliance (which some of the Tories want) by the way of a back door deal, they will spell trouble.

Yeah, agree with that. MPs, sure - that's a cert. The issue I have with UKIP is they're taking the vote away from others. If they form some sort of pre-election alliance (which some of the Tories want) by the way of a back door deal, they will spell trouble.

Its up to Labour to educate the electorate about what a gang of frauds UKIP are. They want a flat rate of tax, they want to cut corporation tax, Farage is not a "man of the people" he's an ex Tory, ex commodity banker. A vote for UKIP is not a vote for change, they couldn't possibly be any more establishment.

So you have no views on the Nhs?

No view on cutting the top rate of tax?

No thoughts on the bedroom tax?

Don't care about plans to stop under21s claiming dole/housing benefit ?

No opinion on a 2 year wage freeze for the lowest paid workers in society?

You're a charlatan.

Who says I have no view on those things? I'm just not sure why it's exactly relevant.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Non of the above.

Send them a real message, don't vote for any of the corrupt fuckers.

Send them a real message? What message? That a small percentage of people didn't vote and didn't make any difference to the election whatsoever?

Yep things like the Nhs aren't relevant if your only goal is to sit at the back of the top table. When you're there just be quiet and do as you're told.

What are you talking about? Your responses seem to bear little relation to mine.

Nevertheless, it is funny that some of the things you've listed above are Tory policies which we've stopped them bringing in, showing your "be quiet and do as you're told" claim to be an utter lie.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Now this government is in the run to the next election, would you say it has been a good one for the LDs to be involved in or do you fear for the worst at the next election?

They should fear the worst after their backtracking on tuition fees, they've shown themselves to be spineless, and presumably the british public will treat all their policy's with a pinch of salt in the near future. Trust is the most important thing in politic's, if people can't trust you'll implement what you say you will, then there is no point standing for anything.