You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Allen

Gnasher

All this talk of a 'fit-again' Henderson.  What people are actually pining for is the Henderson that looked like he was developing into a half decent player for a few months in the Suarez season - as did just about all of our players.  Henderson this season is a good reflection of what we can expect to see from him from now on, unless he's a spectacularly late developer.   He hasn't been unfit in every game, and he hasn't been hampered in every game.  He just isn't good enough technically or mentally.  And right now Can seems incapable of playing well or concentrating for more than one half of every game.  

We need some quality and experience in our midfield.  We need players who know how to win - players who do not accept the sort of losses we've seen this season.  

Thought he played well again today and was unlucky to get hooked compared to the largely ineffective Firmino.

different players yes but Firmino just isnt up for the physical challenge. Time after time he was robbed of the ball today.

Maybe Allen tired a little in the 2nd half.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

You build a midfield around someone like Xabi Alonso in his prime. You don't build a midfield around Joe Allen.

Agreed. I really like Allen, and think he can play a substantial part of a winning midfield but he's not somebody you build a midfield around. He's a player you add to a solid, exprienced midfield.

• Upvote 2

Allen should be played in the same role as Xavi to get the best out of him, have a good dm behind him and a top cm/am in front of him who is technically excellent.

I want him to go now anyway as I don't like seeing his talent wasted but he could have been one of our main players for years to come if he had the right players around him.

• Downvote 1

He's done well recently but he's a squad player for me. I would start Can ahead of him and even Henderson when he's fit and in form. And we have to assume Jurgen is going to sign at least one quality central midfielder this summer. Considering Milner also likes playing in the centre, it looks like Allen's days are numbered.